When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash's choice of Replica of the Year 2007

Pugwash

This time of year, lots of polls happen and everyone tries to decide what the best replica of the year is, and while these posts are very democratic, I am far too opinionated to allow others to decide for me, so this is what I choose as the best replica of the year.

It's the best "out of the box" replica. It's "the most accurate" replica as well. It's also the "best built" replica. If it doesn't top the polls on this and other sites as "Replica of the Year" then it's obvious that polls don't work.

steelfish-10-640.jpg

This replica has the same movement as the genuine, it's water-resistant to depths we'll never take it, the 5mm thick AR-coated crystal is the standard by which all others should be measured and the strap is almost as good as genuine.

steelfish-01.jpg

The strap in this picture is the replica deployant strap that you can get from most of the dealers. It adds another layer of class, even though it's fake croc.

steelfish-16-640.jpg

Yes, I didn't choose my current favourite watch, the IWC Slevin, as the SOSF is simply a better replica, even if it's not as good a watch.

Do you agree? Do you disagree? Are you one of those odd people that thinks the Big Bang is a better rep?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a great rep. But it is a rep of a watch you can buy for under $2,000. IMHO, you might as well save up the money and get a warranty, proper lume, etc.

I'm with k on this. Very well replicated watch, but if I really liked it I'd just buy the gen. And I think "rep of the year" status should account for this. The best rep should not merely be highly accurate and well built, but should also replicate a watch that is not within reach of most people, or one that is truly rare and difficult to obtain, or better yet all of the above. :)

And I think "rep of the year" status should account for this. The best rep should not merely be highly accurate and well built, but also replicate a watch that is not within reach of most people, or one that is truly rare and difficult to obtain, or better yet all of the above. :)

I think a replica of a sub-$5000 watch should be considered as anything more so is going to out itself merely by being worn by someone who simply cannot afford it.

What about the lume flaw on the dial?

What 2007 reps have lume as good as the genuines?

That it has the same movement says nothin to me (closed caseback)

To me, that's one of the reasons this watch is such a good replica. It acts like the real one as much as looks like it. It's as waterproof (in real terms) and as reliable. It does the same jobs to the same standards, or at least closer than any other replica watch manages.

I gotta agree with the others who have said that the a watch like the SFSO does have an *asterix beside it's award.

I had the recent dilemma of whether to get a couple of fully modded vintage rollies or something like a used SFSO via TZ . I think I'm probably happier with the MBK's than I would've been with the SFSO, but no doubt it's a really nice watch.

There were enough good watches this year that it really comes down to personal preference. I would put the ceramic HBB's, as well as the MBK AP ROO and Cousteau Divers up there as well. There are some reps that are timeless, in the sense that they've been on the market for a while, and you can discover them as "new to you", even though they may not have been created in '07...which is a good option for people like me who buy all the new reps. No more I tell you! :p

I completely agree with you Pug. I just hope you don't insist on the white dial. I have a black with the same brown rep leather strap that you show in your pics and it's a fantastatic watch. Really looks and feels like a gen. Where I live there is no chance of buying it for less than $2700 which is not so cheap. There is still a big difference from $350 (I am not speaking about those of the "Silix sale" that were sold cheaper). One more advantage of the SOSF, IMO is that nobody suspects that it is a rep, because it is an affordable watch, compared to Rolex for example, that probably 99% that we see around are fake and everybody knows it. You can call it ultimate sub or MBW and make whatever "modds" that you like, but the first question when you wear a rolex is always: "Is it fake"? something that nobody will ask about the SOSF. I agree that the SOSF is not the most beautiful watch, and even compared to other breitlings, but we "vote" here for the best rep and not for beauty which is also a matter of personal taste. So Pug my vote goes for you (but black dial).

If someone would look at one of my rollies and think it was fake, chances are there's something wrong with him! Maybe if he could point out to me, I'd be more open to believing, but that's damn near impossible being that almost everything visible, minus the bracelet (not endlinks) and case are genuine.... :p

So yes, there's always going to be the lay person who only knows of Rolex when it comes to luxury watches, and assumes that any Rolex they see is fake. It's not those people I'm too concerned about. I'm every bit as confident in my SD and sub as my ceramic HBB, and possibly even moreso, since there's really no faking it beyond a certain point in most people's mind. Personally, I don't like the modern rollies, specifically because the line is more blurry with some of these, IMO.

Completely agree. I understand the view that it is a replica of a 'more affordable' genuine. However, having owned one of these, I would say, save yourself $1700 and buy the replica. Absolutely incredible.

I think that because it is a replica of a more affordable genuine this actually adds to the 'believability' of the replica. I would say that less people would question its validity compared to a replica worth $6000+.

Pug I don't think anyone could argue that this watch is the most accurate and best built replica watch for 2007;

but is it the best replica watch of 2007.

In my opinion it is much easier to make a $300 watch look like a $2500 watch than a $10,000 watch.

Seems like best rep should take into account a percenentage of cost vs. gen into consideration?

Overall I do not find the SFSO very impressive, very nice watch and extremely accurate (yes I do own a Swiss version).

If you had the ability to buy any Gen under $10K (not your money scenerio, just $10K spend it on one watch or lose it)

Would anyone here buy the SFSO, I know it would not be on my radar.

Cheers,

M

If someone would look at one of my rollies and think it was fake, chances are there's something wrong with him! Maybe if he could point out to me, I'd be more open to believing, but that's damn near impossible being that almost everything visible, minus the bracelet (not endlinks) and case are genuine.... :p

It wouldn't change the fact he was right. ;)

I have the black dial and must say, after wearing it daily for 6 months now. it is the best rep I have ever owned.

Its solid, waterproof, superbly finished and most of all, its a modest watch.

not too bling bling, flashy or unbelievable expensive as a genuine.

thats also something I agree with.

maybe the lume could be a bit more shiny, but on the other hand, who sees my watch in the dark?

The fact that you would even consider a "Lumpy old Breit" as the "watch of the year" show how much your tastes have improved over the last year or so. I'd have to agree with you based on quality and feel alone. My asian version is outstanding, and although the SFSO is not my favorite watch, the rep still gets plenty of wrist time just because its so good!

IMG_3543.JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG