When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Bad vintaging technique with weird side affects

predfan2001

I experimented with a new technique on a Sub dial and it ended up brown. I planned on attempting to use this early dial in my 5513. I removed the outer ring and the "Officially Certified Chronometer" but this dial is not very accurate so my hunt continues. I was shooting for a dial with alot of patina and age. I just threw it back in the vintage case. Dang it. :o

S6300805.jpg

The dial looks great Predfan!! It has the same looks as an old aged gilt dial... excellent IMHO!! Let me know if you don't want to keep it ;)

PS. How do you make the bezelinsert grey-ish or faded? Looks great.... do you just use some very fine sanding paper?

Bleach. I have pics of a gen red 1680 that the bezel insert is faded really bad, almost silver. Since I'm just playing with this one I tried it out. The funny thing is it came out of the bleach brown. I thought that was lucky but the brown was just residue. It all wiped off.

S6300814.jpg

Edited by predfan2001

Brown = good!! As mentioned check pics of the old subs and sea-dwellers like Nanuq's. That brown color is what you want as a vintage collector. I think you did very well. but if you really dont like it then send it to me :)

hehe

excellent work!

dizz

Ok, I must admit that I am getting attached to this watch. I first thought it was an experiment gone wrong and I had wasted the money on another Silix Sub. But the more I look at it, the more I like it. The brown tone of the dial is really neat. I realize that the aged and worn look is not everyones cup of tea, but I like it. I just hope than one day someone comes out with a descent 5513. Odds are that if they do, I'll go broke because it is my favorite and I will have to do several. Till then I'm gonna drop this dial in my 5513 project.

S6300831.jpg

S6300832.jpg

Edited by predfan2001