When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Technical

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per week ?

Ziggy, square meters is the right question to ask for a 1 bedroom appartment.

I guess you can find 1 bedroom apparments that are 50 square meters ;)

My 30 old year niece lives in Paris and I can ask her any question you'd like.

Feel free to shot the questions per eMail or PM ;)

Cheers

Stephane

The short answer to this question is yes...But like TTK mentioned it all depends on what kind of time frame you are planning on staying there..Is this a permanent relocation or do you just want to test the waters and see how it all works out..depends on how conservative with your spending..The annual per-capita income in Paris is around 25kEuros I believe, hope this helped

The Zigmeister,

80k PER year as you state should be fine. I have some friends that live in Paris so I'll drop them a note and ask if they know the going rates for 1-2 bed apartments in the 17th arrondisement area.

BTW, Having you move over to Paris would be one step to making 2008 a SUPER year as I live just across the channel... :)

Good question there The Zigmeister, something I would like to know too - not that I speak French really, so not really sure it is a good idea for me though... But good luck to you if you do make the move.

UB&: And when the average income is

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- If your boss wants to transfer you to Moscow this year, he'd better offer you a fair sum to do so - or even a downright handsome one depending on where you live now. That's because Moscow has just been designated the world's most expensive city for the second year in a row by Mercer Human Resource Consulting.

Using the cost of living in New York as a base, Mercer determined Moscow is 34.4 percent more expensive after taking into account the cost of housing, transportation, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment.

World's most expensive cities 2007:

1. Moscow

2. London

3. Seoul

4. Tokyo

5. Hong Kong

6. Copenhagen

7. Geneva

8. Osaka

9. Zurich

10. Oslo

11. Milan

12. St. Petersburg (Russia)

13. Paris

14. Singapore

15. New York City

16. Dublin

17. Tel Aviv

18. Rome

19. Vienna

20. Beijing

http://money.cnn.com/2007/06/15/pf/most_expensive_cities/

Edited by mil_sub

World's most expensive cities 2007:

1. Moscow

2. London

3. Seoul

4. Tokyo

5. Hong Kong

6. Copenhagen

7. Geneva

8. Osaka

9. Zurich

10. Oslo

11. Milan

12. St. Petersburg (Russia)

13. Paris

14. Singapore

15. New York City

16. Dublin

17. Tel Aviv

18. Rome

19. Vienna

20. Beijing

Or if you go by The Economists list:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/real_estat...ities/index.htm

City Nation Index (New York is 100)

Oslo Norway 134

Paris France 130

Copenhagen Denmark 126

London United Kingdom 125

Tokyo Japan 124

Osaka Japan 118

Reykjavic Iceland 118

Zurich Switzerland 118

Frankfurt Germany 116

Helsinki Finland 116

BTW, I live in Oslo, and getting by on €80K / year is not a problem.

At dollar-euro parity, you're talking about more than $100,000 per year.

In a word (or two) - and without addressing any of your questions specifically - I can assure that you'll live very, very, very comfortably here.

Should be fun - for about six months.

After, reality hits.

Afterthoughts:

Your greatest advantage (other than being in the top 5 percent of the population, money-wise) is being French-speaking. That's going to save you a lot of the grief usually reserved for those who don't.

Another thought: Paris all the time? Sounds a bit like a life-sentence. Why not offer yourselves a little parole and live some of the time (spring, summer, fall and a bit of the winter, mainly) in any of the absolutely beautiful provinces: the farther away one gets from Paris, the better it gets... Also, your money goes twice as far: with the exception of tourist-magnets such as the French Riveria, life is significantly less expensive - and much more enjoyable.

The bottom line is that it all depends on the life you want to live: some people find it hard to tear themselves away from Paris (personally, I have a love/hate relationship with it) and others prefer a hybrid existence, alternating periods of time in the capital with relaxing down-time in a country place in the provinces.

Financially, you should be able to set up the sort of existence that pleases you best; the rest is just a question of personal preference.

Or if you go by The Economists list:

Tokyo Japan 124

This is the most expensive city I ever LIVED in, not visited. That continues to be Oslo...

Paris wasn't in Tokyo's level, because you can find a lot of bargains in the banlieus. If people don't mind safety concerns, you can even do your shopping by hopping off Bobigny/Pablo Picasso in the Metro...I found shops there that were cheaper than anything in London's East End.

80k per annum in Paris makes you an upper-middle-class person, something tied to education not income, oftentimes, anyway.

If people want to live in a nice Parisian neighbourhood, my choice is Le Marais (III/IVe). I survived there comfortably, with all the mod-coms, and I didn't earn anywhere CLOSE to 80k Euro.

Some sites:

(US-centric, but has facts on taxes, etc.) http://www.internationalliving.com/countries/france

(Canadians Abroad) http://www.canuckabroad.com/forums

(Moving to France made Easy) http://gofrance.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsi...-made-easy.com/

(Canadian links, such as "Canadians in France" a club for expats) http://paris.angloinfo.com/af/549/paris-ca...nformation.html

Come to Thailand....I have a penthouse condo........overlooking the whole of Pattaya.....approx 125 sqm lounge....windows on 3 sides.....separate bed / bath.....etc....for around $450 per month.......there's great food here....4x 10 pin bowling alleys....3x 6 cinema multiplexes.....excellent restaurants......beachfront....with all the watersports you could want...entertainment day and night....once again with all the watersports you could want...:D...etc etc.....and prices are cheap......plus....none of that pissy rainy weather.....traffic controller strikes.....and you can smoke anywhere you want.....if that is your want....tho' smoking ain't a big thing here.....not many do.....come for a holiday first.....I'll be your guide......besides which ...you can lume all my watches whilst you're here.....:lol: