When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Technical

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At dollar-euro parity, you're talking about more than $100,000 per year.

I think he was factoring in the C$, but if not, wow, good point!

The bottom line is that it all depends on the life you want to live: some people find it hard to tear themselves away from Paris (personally, I have a love/hate relationship with it) and others prefer a hybrid existence, alternating periods of time in the capital with relaxing down-time in a country place in the provinces.

Having a little stone house in Normandie or Bretagne is definitely the way to go. It's cooler for one, in summer.

As for the language, yes, but remember that French-Canadians get a lot of stick from the snobby Parigots. If there is a child involved, factor in the school teasing adjustment on that alone.

Mind you, it could be worse, in terms of teasing. They could be Belgian.........

When you check the currency conversion today, the Euro is up over $1.47 on the exchange. So 80K Euro is almost $120K US. And this year we've seen the Canadian dollar come back up to the US dollar.

I sure hate to see you over in Paris for any extended time Ziggy, I need you to fix my watches!

A retirement/weekend place in Burgundy or the Perigord is definitely the way to go.... even milder winters a few hundred kilometers south - with incredible bargains still to be found off the beaten path.

If it's for a job, income taxes and retirement could be payable via Canada - with no double taxation. Medical should fall under the French system, which means that you'll have total coverage for moderate fees.

Feel free to PM me for any questions or further info...

I sure hate to see you over in Paris for any extended time The Zigmeister, I need you to fix my watches!

I was going to say -- this is a potential blow for all North Americans who wish their watches modded!

Because, and I say this with embarrassment because I am not the type to rag on the French (I love France), but La Poste sucks. They steal more packages than any other national mail carriers I've ever seen.

Especially stay away from posting packages from and to: PTT Paris Champs-Elys

I just can't get comfortable there.

Well...I've got a great big vinyl couch that I acquired for a project ....I'm sure you'd find that very comfy..... :lol:

On a serious note...80k Eu...you will have no probs in Paris........why not just go to Quebec,.....same thing.....!

Edited by TTK

Or if you go by The Economists list:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/03/05/real_estat...ities/index.htm

City Nation Index (New York is 100)

Oslo Norway 134

Paris France 130

Copenhagen Denmark 126

London United Kingdom 125

Tokyo Japan 124

Osaka Japan 118

Reykjavic Iceland 118

Zurich Switzerland 118

Frankfurt Germany 116

Helsinki Finland 116

BTW, I live in Oslo, and getting by on

Because, and I say this with embarrassment because I am not the type to rag on the French (I love France), but La Poste sucks. They steal more packages than any other national mail carriers I've ever seen.

This is no longer the case.

Also, living in an apartment with a Concierge helps. Someone who will take care of the post when you're not there.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- If your boss wants to transfer you to Moscow this year, he'd better offer you a fair sum to do so - or even a downright handsome one depending on where you live now. That's because Moscow has just been designated the world's most expensive city for the second year in a row by Mercer Human Resource Consulting.

Using the cost of living in New York as a base, Mercer determined Moscow is 34.4 percent more expensive after taking into account the cost of housing, transportation, food, clothing, household goods and entertainment.

yeah, and thats a bunch of bullcrap, my friends grandma lives in moscow and she is so poor he sends her money every month from his very moderate salary. of course if you wanna live like a Tsar next to putin, moscow IS expensive.

i dont know how much vodka a $ will get you in paris or new york, but it certainly will get you enough to get wasted for a week in moscow :lol:

Are you kidding? A chap with a good mind like yours will do more than OK in Paris with that income. Enjoy yourself and have

one of the greatest times of your life.

I think that you may have to limit yourselves to 1 case of Dom Perignian, 1 case French wine, per week.

Go easy on the caviar, pheasant, Cognac, Frogs legs, Snails, dishes cooked in wine/garlic/herbs etc.

Other than that go for it, you only live once. (That I know of anyway).

Nothing ventured , nothing gained.

Thank you again everyone for the input.

Just to clear my reasons for asking, if I move to Paris it is at least a year away, if it even takes place. But knowing the standard of living I can expect on 80K Euro's if I do go there, is a big factor in my decision.

I appreciate the input and insight.

For now, it's Cold Canada and snow...-17C this morning...brrrr...what I wouldn't do for a fresh croissant.

RG

Thank you again everyone for the input.

Just to clear my reasons for asking, if I move to Paris it is at least a year away, if it even takes place. But knowing the standard of living I can expect on 80K Euro's if I do go there, is a big factor in my decision.

I appreciate the input and insight.

For now, it's Cold Canada and snow...-17C this morning...brrrr...what I wouldn't do for a fresh croissant.

RG

Will you be getting hardship pay for the Paris job?

Man, it's tough here....

41111zy3.jpg

Nice to see Brussels doesnt come on thelist, book up people and get to the Euro GTG :laugh: :gathering:

I think I'm one of the few people in this world that is not Belgian who thinks Brussels isn't ugly. Or boring. But hey, they have a LOT of free museums and I like that.

However, food is prohibitively expensive in certain parts of Belgium. As in dining out, but also in supermarkets. And a taxi ride in Brussels? Wow. Prepare to mortgage your undies.

I'm no rube, and always settle on the fare before getting in the taxi (in French), but once to take me from the icky, and dangerous Gare du Midi station to my youth hostel, the Jacques Brel, it was the equivalent of U$69. I almost fainted. When questioned the cabbie said, "This is the capital of Europe" (shrug). What can you say, right?

Property values and the consequent rent in Brussels are very high...I think it's actually cheaper in Paris in the 17eme.

Well, I think the matter has been settled, so best of luck and croissants aux chocolat on Ryyannon! :p