When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

RWG Technical

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No worries. Whether you doubt or not doesn't change the truth from being the truth, even for a gringa tourist.

You can't resist to jump in every bloody thread and say "I know, I've been there"...

The truth ?!

The Truth is you never came to Brussels

For such an internet pro...

Jacques Brel youth hotel

Gare du midi (why would one use gare du midi by the way when gare du nord is around the corner of the famous youth hotel) - rue de la Sablonni

You can't resist to jump in every bloody thread and say "I know, I've been there"...

The truth ?!

The Truth is you never came to Brussels

For such an internet pro...

I'm sorry Stephane. You are wrong about my stay(s) in Brussels. But that's not the matter here. You have problems with me as can be evinced by your "you can't resist to jump in every bloody thread", as if somehow as a member I should stay away from threads which interest me, or where I can add info, like anyone else.

I think this will come up each and every time we have a conversation. I cannot tell you what to do, but I don't want to start the new year with old troubles. Goodbye.

I think this will come up each and every time we have a conversation. I cannot tell you what to do, but I don't want to start the new year with old troubles. Goodbye.

This will not come up each and every time as I'm not willing to mutliply "conversation" avec une mythomane.

This will be my last reply to you untill you lie again about something I know better than you at a rate of ...say, ....100%.

I couldn't let you misslead people about my city as you do in many other occasions on this forum (and probably 10 others).

If Vicky was staying in a youth hostel, that must have been some time ago...in Brussels (or any other big city) it's possible that the cab driver, playing on her youth and inexperience, really 'took her for a ride' - and thus the huge fare.

There are always two sides to every story, and sometimes both versions are true.

Why fight about it?

As for Brussels, it's a cool town - nice little bars open late, more relaxed atmosphere than Paris. I've always liked it - with one reservation: the urban planners who tore down blocks of traditional neighborhoods in the name of some sort of whacked-out technocratic vision of urban-renewal, should have been shot.

And then propped up and shot again.

img0954xp6.jpg

If Vicky was staying in a youth hostel, that must have been some time ago...in Brussels (or any other big city) it's possible that the cab driver, playing on her youth and inexperience, really 'took her for a ride' - and thus the huge fare.

You know, this exchange had an odd effect on me.

I actually went in search of any photos or mementos of that particular stay in Brussels (I don't have a scanner, but I could've taken a photo of the photo). You know what I was searching for? I went to Mini-Europe during that trip, and actually took one of their little "people" maquettes from one of the exhibits. Oh, and I derailed their mini-Eurostar by placing a rock on the rails. I took a photo of that. :)

But knowing people, I would then become a thief who stole from a theme park, not to mention a vandal.

Ryyannon, you can't win when the dice are loaded against you. I learnt that years ago, when a little jealous girl in my school had similar reactions. On a happier note, today is my dad's birthday, and we might go to Le Bouchon du Grove, the best (most authentic) French resto in Miami. :)

Eww, it's Croissants au beurre, Pain au raisin and Pain au chocolat. Anything else is froux-froux for the tourists. ;)

Got to disagree with you here, Pugs - despite your stay in this fair city: most neighborhood boulangeries now sell both pains aux chocolate aux amandes and croissants aux chocolate et amandes - logical for the pains aux chocolate of course, but not at all limited to the tourist trade, since they're absolutely delicious - and a clever way for bakeries to add a bit of added-value to an otherwise more or less staple item.

Hope life is working out for you up there in the Land of the Scots.

Perhaps we'll see you again one of these weekends. In the meantime, you'll have to excuse me while I go play with the pigeons...

I think I'm one of the few people in this world that is not Belgian who thinks Brussels isn't ugly. Or boring. But hey, they have a LOT of free museums and I like that.

However, food is prohibitively expensive in certain parts of Belgium. As in dining out, but also in supermarkets. And a taxi ride in Brussels? Wow. Prepare to mortgage your undies.

I'm no rube, and always settle on the fare before getting in the taxi (in French), but once to take me from the icky, and dangerous Gare du Midi station to my youth hostel, the Jacques Brel, it was the equivalent of U$69. I almost fainted. When questioned the cabbie said, "This is the capital of Europe" (shrug). What can you say, right?

Property values and the consequent rent in Brussels are very high...I think it's actually cheaper in Paris in the 17eme.

Well, I think the matter has been settled, so best of luck and croissants aux chocolat on Ryyannon! :p

thats a bunch of bullcrap, i've just been there, and its not that expensive. i was always eating out (haha rather ambiguous, huh?) and the Pi

Edited by slay

Another nice thing about Paris is its central position in Europe : London, Barcelona, Amsterdam, Madrid, Berlin, Rome, Venice... all those wonderfull cities (including Brussel ;) are only a few hours away for week ends and hollidays... With a 80Ke income, you can afford lots of week end (you'll come to discover that french do not work a lot and therefore are prety good at planning week ends (known as 'R.T.T.', we use acronyms for just about everything).

As a sidenote, 80Ke will get you a lot of taxes, be prepared for that, or even better, get organized (offshore part of your income if you can).

Although I lived in Baden Baden West Germany in the late '80's and early '90's, times have changed. I noted a huge increase in costs last summer when I toured the EU in a motorhome with my sons...

So my question is simple, can I live a "comfortable" life in Paris, renting an apartment (around the 17th arrondisement area) and taking care of myself and my other half.

I don't plan on buying a car, just using the commuter system and renting a car if needed on weekends for country drives...

Questions:

1. Renting an apartment at 1600 Euro's a month gets what? Should I plan on 2000 Euro's a month, or 2500, or 1000 for rent to have a reasonable place to live (1 bedroom is fine)

2. Food costs, not eating out, buy buying your own groceries and cooking in house. For two people what is normal costs (not chateau briand, and not kraft dinner either...normal stuff)

3. Other costs I dont' know of, electricity, taxes, whatever...

I am sure I am missing some stuff, which is why I hope you can help me out.

Thanks for any insight.

RG

80K Euros / annum net ... should be fine.

Is that means that know we can send watches to Paris ???? ;)

Send me a picture of the watches - and I'll think it over... :)

RG

Dont worry you will see them all if you come to live here for a while ;)

BTW in your income of 80k are you counting in what you could earn servicing and luming all european RWG members watches?

Come to Thailand....I have a penthouse condo........overlooking the whole of Pattaya.....approx 125 sqm lounge....windows on 3 sides.....separate bed / bath.....etc....for around $450 per month.......there's great food here....4x 10 pin bowling alleys....3x 6 cinema multiplexes.....excellent restaurants......beachfront....with all the watersports you could want...entertainment day and night....once again with all the watersports you could want... :D ...etc etc.....and prices are cheap......plus....none of that pissy rainy weather.....traffic controller strikes.....and you can smoke anywhere you want.....if that is your want....tho' smoking ain't a big thing here.....not many do.....come for a holiday first.....I'll be your guide......besides which ...you can lume all my watches whilst you're here..... :lol:

Unfortunately he's got a picture of Scott Nisbet on the wall..........of whom that great paragon of football, Graham Souness once said during another Rangers failed European fitbaw night (sad bastards)........"Don't just dae something.....staun there!"

jtb

• 3 years later...

Bloody hell for 80 thousand a year you could live like a king in England, you could live in a very affluent area, drive a nice forty thousand pound car and have plenty left for bills and savings, people living here only earning half that have good lives,I wish I was earning even a fifth of that lol, forget France and come to England