When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC BP versus PAM 233? - Further Question

Watchmeister

A friend (not me) is deciding between an IWC Big Pilot and the first generation PAM 233 (8 day handwind with GMT function). He says they are both around the same price. Which would you pick? I will post pictures later in the day. Just curious. And we are talking gens - not reps. :lol:

See my last post. And thanks for all your previous input. Buyer now is leaning toward BP. :)

hi kruzer,

the 233 has a general familar problem.

the second auto reset when you pull out the crown makes sometimes problems and the watch stops.

i know it from the german watchlounge forum, and i know it from a friend, he has a 233.

most of the 233 owners live with it. and this problem is known by panerai too.

rolli

A friend (not me) is deciding between an IWC Big Pilot and the first generation PAM 233 (8 day handwind with GMT function). He says they are both around the same price. Which would you pick? I will post pictures later in the day. Just curious. And we are talking gens - not reps. :lol:

The BP is 46.2mm versus 44 for the 233. I would advise him to try both on. One might feel too small, or the other too big..Yes, 2.2 mm can mean the world to some :p

I love the fiddy case, I haven't tried the 44mm version of it, but if this was between the 1950 and the BP, I would have said the 1950.. There is something in that 233 that doesn't seem ok. That power reserve on the face? The GMT without 24hour indexes? It is not historic, it caries a caliber that seems to be less than stellar, and personally find it a bit less iconic/simple as a panerai should be. It feels like the child of a famous actor :p The name is there, some of the qualities too, but in the end it does't cut it. The BP on the other hand has a long history and a very good standing both in caliber and design.

BP vs 233= BP for me.

I'd go for the Panerai but like Rolli says there are known problems with the movement... so presuade him to look at a Panerai with the later in-house mvt... or the PAM190 8 days with JLC mvt :)

Have to agree with @F here...

The 190 is very nice...

Double T

Just out of personal preference, It would have to be the IWC BP, as it is my only Holy Grail watch that i would like to own one day.

Flame suit on....233 for me.

I was lucky enough to test drive the BP when it first came out. I loved it but was not blown away by it....that was in 2005...fast forward to October 07 and my AD got a 233 in....I had no interest in it really as I too preferred the simple designs of Panerai....well, I got a chance to put it on my wrist and I was just blown away. I never thought I would care for the domed crystal but it was such a stunner in the flesh....I really want to add this one to my watchbox....

Don't get me wrong...if I had the funds..I'd own both for sure....as I do think the BP flieger is a beautiful watch but for me the 233 has everything i want.....PR, Date, GMT....and it doesn't have the most SCREWED up DATE CRYSTALS for an upper end watch that the pannies have....I sold my Gen 252 cause the cyclops is crap....every time I look at the date....its distorted....irritated the holy hell out of me....

But I'm wierd...

cheers

i was at Barneys CO-OP shopping yesterday when i bumped into a paneristi with a 233 on. That thing is beautiful!! we ended up talking for about 20 mins and exchanging email addresses.

I would recommend a 233 over the BP. Two different animals in terms of size....

btw, i was wearing my AP Roo.

i was at Barneys CO-OP shopping yesterday when i bumped into a paneristi with a 233 on. That thing is beautiful!! we ended up talking for about 20 mins and exchanging email addresses.

I would recommend a 233 over the BP. Two different animals in terms of size....

CC...if people could see the 233 in person...they'd have a change of mind....all the print media and pictures suck at capturing how tasty that watch is....i'm still holding out hope that I can get one this year....

...note to self...must stop buying reps and all the other toyz....

:p

BP it is! I just cannot get used to the power reserve on the 233, that "meter".... yikes, it's just not for me, am I the only one that do not like that power reserve meter? I thought it looked really tacky and taken away some of the simplicity that it has going for Panerai. I would say 190 also, but if your friend has the 183, then no, I can't see you recommending that one to him. back to BP again, I would get the older version of the BP instead of the current version also, just my thoughts on this...