When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

SCAM WARNING

TwoTone

One of the primary purposes of this Forum is to protect people from being ripped off...

From Scam Sites and from Scam people within our Forum...

One of the Scams that people use here within the Forum is with "Trades"...

Obviously with Trades no money exchanges hands...

I send you a Watch...

But you don't send me one...

If you're contacted by a member with low or no Post count...

Or who's fairly new to the Forum...

PLEASE use caution...

Ask for "Forum" references...

Check with the references...

Ask around to people you know...

BE CAREFUL...

We do our best to keep our community safe...

But YOU need to be smart...

And proactive in your due diligence...

Best rule of thumb is to only do business with established members...

Double T

I cannot imagine doing a trade like this with anyone other than a senior & well-known member, but if these types of transactions occur frequently, why not employ a 3rd (trusted) RWG member to act as an escrow party? The 2 trading members would pay the escrow a small fee to receive & inspect both items, which, after passing inspection, the escrow would then send on their merry ways to the intended receivers.

Long time ago I proposed the following for trade : use PayPal as a third party.

Define a certain amount that each one is able to pay to the other.

Then once both members have paid the other, send the watch.

In case of problem, there's the ultimate solution of filling a complaint.

I cannot imagine doing a trade like this with anyone other than a senior & well-known member, but if these types of transactions occur frequently, why not employ a 3rd (trusted) RWG member to act as an escrow party? The 2 trading members would pay the escrow a small fee to receive & inspect both items, which, after passing inspection, the escrow would then send on their merry ways to the intended receivers.

Why not also do this as a precautionary measure for noobs who are buying/selling watches?

How about not only banning everyone who joined after October 2007, but what about everyone else who freeloads off the wealth of information provided by the site?

Or what about automatically banning everyone who starts their first post with "who has the best..." or "which one should i..."

This might come across as fascist, but why not allow entry by limiting access ONLY to the supporters (collectors/staff/paying members) and shun everyone else out (NO SOUP FOR YOU!).

Surely that would weed out the scammers and spammers if the staff has contact info on every member.

I have one member that it come to my mind if I want to trade, and he's pretty popular here and on RWI. It's not a scammer base on my reading/story about him, he just don't has a good sens of communication when it comes to do BUSINESS (buy/sell), and sometime, he screw things. A lot. My comment here are base on MY experience, and some other member too who go trough trading with this member. This member can lost your time. Not deliberate, but just because he don't really know how to do straight business. Anyway...

My overall suggestion is, be SHORT and DIRECT when it come to do trading, be very CLEAR with you intention. Always ship with tracking number and/or take insurance. KEEP YOUR INVOICE OF POSTAL COMPANY UNTIL the package was receive. Force seller to provide tracking, etc. Like other member suggest, use PAYPAL, in that way you can do a complaint (recently I use this for an item on ebay, and it's work perfectly, I never receive package, never had tracking, seller was never be able to proof me, and paypal too, that he ship it, I win, this crook receive bad feedback, and that's it). Never accept story about life of your seller/buyer, justification of any kinds. Good liar will always give you some good justification. Business is business when we do trading.

So even with a "popular" member, we need to do our homework, read some post in forum, and in trading section, here, but on other forum too.

Good luck/be careful

Guest carlsbadrolex

I guess I have been more lucky in trades than in buying from this site. I have three trades with members (I still dont consider myself a veteran of this forum, and neither were they) and all three trades went flawlessly. Now buying from here has been a challenge!