When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Guangzhou update. part 1 and 2.

rodwc

Hi Guys,

just came back home after a 9 day visit to Guangzhou, and thought I would give you a preview

of what is to come describing what is going on there. Its 1.30 am, and find I simply cannot sleep.

Arrived back in Melbourne 2,30 pm. to a hot sunny 34 degrees C. , a big change after the overcast sometimes chilly

( and very polluted )

15- 18 degrees in Guangzhou.

I unfortunately arrived there in the middle of the Chinese New Year, when I say unfortunate , I mean that it is total

shutdown from the normally bustling goings on there.

Slowly , over the week or so, life began to resume to a pace we are very unfamiliar with, these are people going back

to work , after 10 days holiday, on a SUNDAY .

No more holidays, not even weekends off, public holidays, until this time , next year, back to work, 7 days a week.!!!

I was very fortunate to meet up with a local guy there, Mark, ( Watchmark, an apprentice collector , on this site ).

Without him , my visit would , to say the least,have been totally different.

He is young , energetic and keen to further business with the western world , as we know it.

I was the first westerner that he has talked to,and met , in Guangzhou ,to show and open up this whole watch market in China.

First off , he showed me where the actual watchmarkets were, all the steel shutters were down, but 20-30 or so sellers had set up in front of the closed shutters, and were actually selling reps.

OK. not your top of the range stuff that everyone would like to get their hands on , but reps , still the same.

These are pics , just where the markets are located, its difficult to describe, due to the enormous

number of people around there.

The actual street is just in front of the red bus. ( 2nd pic )

3 rd. pic. is the China Post PO. on the lower end of the street,at the start of the watch markets.

Will continue later to-morrow, with more pics and description.

CIMG1048.jpg

CIMG1049.jpg

CIMG1055.jpg

Please, if replying DO NOT click quote button. ( far too many pics . )

Interesting. I hope you were able to get some pictures of the actual stands with reps being sold.

The vendors don't appreciate being photographed. He could try to snap a few "spy-shots", but I suggest that he doesn't so not to upset anyone.

Besides, you want to be friendly with them if you want to cut a deal...Just my thinking B)

Continued. LOTS OF PICS!!!

Photography is very difficult inside the malls and shops, these were taken casually

with no one knowing.

Anyone simply CAN NOT , go around click clicking , like a snap happy tourist!!

Once you have come to grips with the large numbers of people, (and I mean LARGE )it is still

difficult for a westerner to comprehend, Please understand this , allthough a large majority of people

are relatively poor compared to our standards, they still have a very strong sense of survival.

Don`t expect any one of them to step aside for you ,whilst walking on the footpath, they would knock

you over in a second, to continue on their way.

As mentioned earlier, I was there in the middle of the Chinese New Year, and things had not yet returned to normal.

I managed to buy from Mark, 4 decent watches ( though not Swiss ) and some tools . Mark showed me his tool dealer

and I bought everything I had on "my list".

Bought another 3 watches on the street, and its probably at this point that the question of "customs", and the return

trip home, enters the mind.

I found a few stalls selling nothing but straps and ss. bracelets, and they were cheap, very cheap,

will post pics of watches etc. later.

Now I realise that one is supposed to haggle over price, but after the vendor hunting through 10 large plastic bags, trying to find a particular fine weave bracelet I was after,with no luck, I settled on 6, asked him the price, and it was so low and I mean low,

that I gladly gave him what he was asking.

I mean how much do you want some of this stuff for? I simply didn`t want to loose my dignity for the sake of 50 cents or so.

Towards the end of my stay, many more kiosks and stalls had opened, with the vendors cleaning and dusting their shelves and stock, ready for re-stocking and the forthcoming rush of sales.

Many were busy eating , some were simply playing cards and drinking, still it was becoming clear that many more watches could be found and bought. The customs situation in Australia soon put that thought out of my head.

I stocked up big time on designer shirts , leather belts, tools etc., very well made ss. jewellery, ( unable to find silver), also it is a prohibited export from China.

Taxis are very cheap in China, though I prefered to walk, as it gives more orientation of where you are and where where you are going.

A very large percentage of manufacture in China is clothing and footwear, from bad to high quality.

On the whole I really enjoyed my trip and it certainly was a real eye opener, unfortunately, as in all cities in the world there is poverty and homelessness and China has its fair share of this, I think that subject doesn`t warrant descriptions here, suffice to say it is better to see it for oneself than look at pictures here.

If anyone goes to Guangzhou, please go prepared to find a totally different world than we know, anyone will be overwhelmed with the variety and numbers of watches available, also the vast multitude of people.

I would sincerly like to thank Mark for his help and friendship whilst I was there, and would recommend to any of you that

a good deal can be had from him.

Thanks for the opportunity to share this with you all.

CIMG1013.jpg

CIMG1034.jpg

CIMG1035.jpg

CIMG1022.jpg

CIMG1023.jpg

CIMG1024.jpg

CIMG1025.jpg

CIMG1027.jpg

CIMG1028.jpg

CIMG1029.jpg

CIMG1030.jpg

CIMG1031.jpg

CIMG1032.jpg

CIMG1033.jpg

CIMG1050.jpg

CIMG1051.jpg

CIMG1052.jpg

CIMG1053.jpg

CIMG1054.jpg

CIMG1040.jpg

CIMG1026.jpg

CIMG1047.jpg

Great post, I'm heading out there in April for the Canton Fair on biz for a week. I'll be with company, but hoping I can make a mission impossible trip to check out some watches(if so, photos to follow)...more realistically, I'm hoping to have lunch with Angus since he's out there. I'm very happy with our solid dealers(although I miss my Eddie Lee) so not really looking to find any bargains, but it would be nice to see a mecca of watches to pour through.

:victory:

Terrific shots... A definite paradise to anyone who has a true obsession with collecting watches.

Thank you for sharing your experiance in your trip and it's great to hear you had first hand dealings with one of the collectors from the board.

CIMG1028.jpg

Someone looks AWFUL happy. She must've just sold three Hulops and a Loleks.

CIMG1030.jpg

This reminds me of our recent jeans thread.

CIMG1032.jpg

Looks like someone just raided the local Pre-K!

CIMG1051.jpg

You know, it's funny but this could be anywheres-ville Chinatown -- easily Canal St.

CIMG1047.jpg

I'm guessing this is Mark's dog? Cutey-pie.

Thanks, Rodwc. If you have more photos, or anecdotes, that would be cool. :tu:

Good job! It's nice to have an insider. Apparently the dealers are up to being guides it if we buy enough from them. Like this quote here in an email from one:

"You come to eastern holidays.If arrive at the Chinese south.Please let me know.

I can be your family guide is free"

I really want to take them up on the offer now! Of course I returned the compliment by stating that if they ever come to CHI I'll be the guide.

How was the lodging, etc there? It's a world I'm not familiar with, and I (maybe we) would like to hear more about the whole China experience in general.

Good job! It's nice to have an insider. Apparently the dealers are up to being guides it if we buy enough from them. Like this quote here in an email from one:

"You come to eastern holidays.If arrive at the Chinese south.Please let me know.

I can be your family guide is free"

I really want to take them up on the offer now! Of course I returned the compliment by stating that if they ever come to CHI I'll be the guide.

How was the lodging, etc there? It's a world I'm not familiar with, and I (maybe we) would like to hear more about the whole China experience in general.

Thanks for the comments.

Watchmark ( Mark ) offered his services and friendship without any conditions, I did buy 4 watches from him, and some tools.

He was more than happy to meet a westerner and show the markets, he helped enormously with the language,

and I was able to help him a little with a small problem taking pics, and english descriptions for his web site.

We even went into a small Pakistani restaurant for a snack, ( something I wouldn`t have done alone ).

I stayed at the Dong Fang hotel ( 5 star ) approx. $98 per day. ( much cheaper hotels are available, but I wanted some comfort. )

This was mainly because it was within walking distance to the watch markets.

For a westerner going to Guangzhou , one has to be prepared to adapt to their ways and customs, don`t think for one minute that it will be the other way round.

It is a whole different world believe me , ( not just for the watches ) a completely different culture, and that for me is

better than the general tourist route.

I never saw one westerner on the streets in Guangzhou, only a bunch of French tourists in the hotel.

One gets stared at in the streets, well so what, its not as if you are being attacked or mugged.

I`ve travelled the world in my time , but nothing will remain as vivid in my mind as this last trip to China.

Most westerners are able to "get by" with the language, with sign language etc.

I would NOT recommend any westerner attempt to drive in China, unless they have a death wish, RH side for a start, LH drive cars, apart from that the traffic is utter madness. 4 lanes in each direction , nearly all one way .

Even the pedestrian traffic is one way !!

I would NOT recommend any westerner attempt to drive in China, unless they have a death wish, RH side for a start, LH drive cars, apart from that the traffic is utter madness. 4 lanes in each direction , nearly all one way .

Even the pedestrian traffic is one way !!

That's pretty much similar to Manhattan, NYC

Thanks Rodwc, China sure is an amazing place to visit. Sounds like you also had a memorable experience.

That's pretty much similar to Manhattan, NYC

Absolutely not. Trust us.

In Zhongshan and Guangzhou, traffic laws are more suggestions then actual laws. Shenzhen and Hong Kong are a "bit" more civilized in following traffic laws but for me, Shanghai has been the closest to normal for a westerner.

Zhongshan was the first place I'd been where the left hand turn light came on at the same time as the oncoming traffic's normal green light. Yeild? What's that? That word doesn't exist in Mandarin or Cantonese! :lol::lol:

Nice!

In other news, Britain's Channel4 is doing an interesting special on reps this weekend and there are two teaser clips on their website:

Would love to see a copy of that program.

Any chance of getting it to cd/dvd ?