When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Ten Second Rule

Victoria

Which member posted about receiving a rep watch, and giving it the Ten Second Rule? If he can't find any glaring flaws in that brief moment, he keeps it.

Chances are, if one can't, even knowledgeable people around us can't either.

So I FINALLY had my first Panerai encounter, my first Panerai "moment" at (of all places) Brandsmart USA -- a discount warehouse where I was buying my new DVD-R. :p

Already at the checkout, I was wearing my Andrew PAM 111h, on DSN's steel bracelet. Hardly an amazing rep. Skinny crown, bad lume, badly fitted bracelet.

I felt two eyes on me, burrowing into my skin. I turn around, and there was a gen PAM 111 on the wrist of a guy next to me. He grins at me, I grin back, and says, "Nice watch". We get into conversation (about straps!), as our queues move up, and then the worst thing happened.

He took my wrist (surprisingly) and looked at it closely. 6 seconds, 7 seconds, 8 seconds...my heart was in my mouth. :huh:

"Really nice on the bracelet. I have to get one."

Either this man was an Oscar-winning actor, or he really believed it was a gen PAM.

I was chuffed. B)

EDIT: Please post your "Ten Second" Brief Encounters about any replica.

...He took my wrist (surprisingly) and looked at it closely...

This has happened to me as well, and I find it very rude! <_<

When I spot someone with a watch that I would like to comment on, I kindly ask them to show it to me AFTER making the usual introductory small talk.

Congrats on pulling it off though...

This has happened to me as well, and I find it very rude! <_<

It is very rude.

However, since I am reserved and was raised in a "cold" culture, I really like handsy people, as Latins like the French, Italians, Spanish are. It's exciting to me. :)

(He was Cuban-American, by the accent)

When I spot someone with a watch that I would like to comment on, I kindly ask them to show it to me AFTER making the usual introductory small talk.

How often do you talk about watches to strangers?

I do a lot.

Congrats on pulling it off though...

Thanks! I didn't think of it this way until you mentioned it. In fact, I felt rather scummy after I got home. I'm getting that gen PAM sooner than later, I think.

P.S.: This isn't about Panerais. It's about all watches. Something similar has happened to me wearing a Rolex. :)

I feel like I have to keep saying this.........Never trust the opinion of the average gen (assuming his was not just a rep that fooled you) owner.

To quote Jim Cramer, They Know Nothing!

Who is Jim Cramer? I thought it was Schultz from Hogan's Heroes who said that? :p

I'll tell you why I don't think he was not a rep-owner. He was clueless. He had heard of Mario Paci, but no clue about Greg Stevens, Manifatture Firenze, Simona straps. He didn't know about the tang buckles or anything. I mentioned "historics" and he said he read that in "the book", once. I presume he meant the Panerai history book which comes in the pearwood box.

Rep watch owners are forced to know more than others. It's inherent in the hobby, unless you're a boob.

Having seen Golfman's 111 helped. I really think he was a gen, Freddy.

It's vastly different from my 111h, seen below.

pam112braceletwristiefg5.jpg

But yeah, he was flirting with me, Dluddy. :)

However, this thread isn't about me, or that situation -- it's about the Ten Second Rule. Does it work for you?

Who is Jim Cramer? I thought it was Schultz from Hogan's Heroes who said that? :p

I'll tell you why I don't think he was not a rep-owner. He was clueless.

I think Sgt. Schultz said 'I know nothing' (& he was usually right)

Sgt_20Schultz_small.jpg

Jim Cramer is a loud-mouth financial 'guru', gen 116520 Daytona owner & host of cnbc's 'Mad Money' (click his pic for a bio)

madmoney.jpg

He frequently reminds his viewers/fans that the US Federal Reserve 'Knows Nothing' (about economics).

The average gen owner IS clueless. That was exactly my point. Fooling the average gen owner is not a great feat, since all they really know about watches are the names that admit the wearer to The Club.

How about ten minutes in an AD who knows about Panerai with the Ferrari 008? Does that counts? :p

*Don't do it. It is stupid. I haven't done it on purpose.!!!

I found myself in an AD with my GST on, before I realised how daft it was. Not a chance they'd ever spot it, even close up. Once, a guy looked at it closely to show how the Hamilton he was trying to sell me used the same fonts on the datewheel as the IWC. Sheesh.

I may be chastised a little for this, but I was at the shopping mall, and looking at the watches in the window at the AD, not really wanting to go in. There is a salesman I talk to there, who is very knowledgeable on vintage watches, and I occasionally go in there just to shoot the breeze with him when it's not busy. I always tell him I'm not looking to buy, just checking things out, etc, and we go off on discussing the oldies.

Anyway, as I was looking through the window, I checked the time on my DW daytona, and he must have seen it because when I turned to leave he called my name and asked to see my watch. Now I don't want to raise suspicion by saying no, and he was technically outside the AD since he came out to ask me, so I showed him. Classic eyes popping out mouth open look. I BSed him a little and said that the only reason I had it was because it was the deal of a lifetime...ha! He then told me he had another deal for me, and dragged me inside and told me he'll be right back. He came out with a brand new LV sub, he said that they usually only show it to established customers but he wanted me to check it out and it could be mine for only $5500! I have been giving that place a wide berth since then, I want him to calm down a little bit since I'm not really the gold mine he thinks I am.

nice story.

There was this one guy who I met tonight that kept eyeing my Omega SMP electric blue. While we were talking, he would glance at it from time to time, I thought maybe he would bring it up (he wasn't wearing a watch), but he never did. Maybe it was just the blue color that caught his attention. Anyway, definitely more than 10 seconds, but never said anything......

I have been giving that place a wide berth since then, I want him to calm down a little bit since I'm not really the gold mine he thinks I am.

LV Sub! Oh dear. ;)

The one negative, other than the inadvisability of going near an AD with a rep obviously, is that you went from primarily a chum to a high-roller customer. I think every time you go inside now, he'll be half-expecting to sell you something, if he just plays his cards right.

That sucks.

Good call on giving it a wide-berth from now on though, Llsteve.

nice story.

Thanks! I was hoping it would prompt similar stories from others. :)

Freddy had a good one with a Patek and a lady who also grabbed his wrist, like this guy did with me. You know, it may be rude, but it just gave me a tingle. It's awesome to have one's taste validated by a similar-minded human being, even if it is a rep.

There was this one guy who I met tonight that kept eyeing my Omega SMP electric blue. While we were talking, he would glance at it from time to time, I thought maybe he would bring it up (he wasn't wearing a watch), but he never did. Maybe it was just the blue color that caught his attention. Anyway, definitely more than 10 seconds, but never said anything......

Good one, Marrick.

I think the people who glance are more knowledgeable of watches, than the people who ask or chat about them nonchalantly.

One lady at a restaurant once leant back very noticeably to check out my Rolex. It was one of the gens I have, so I was home dry then. :)

Guest carlsbadrolex

If someone would grab my wrist (for any reason), he would be carried away minus his arm. I had this happen once, and it took EVERYTHING for me to not beat him. The fact that he was grabbing my wrist to look at my gen 16610 was not the issue. The issue was that he was not someone I knew, and he was touching me.

Instead of beating him to within an inch of death, I pulled my arm back and explained what the effect of PTSD on a war veteran were... He walked away stunned.

Now, Ms. Victoria, considering you stated he was a Cuban/ American I would have to agree he was hitting on you! Every Cuban guy I have ever known (and considering I lived in Little Havana for awhile Ive known a few) has no idea what the term "personal space" means.

Now, Ms. Victoria, considering you stated he was a Cuban/ American I would have to agree he was hitting on you!

Well I think flirting and hitting on are different. I agree to the former, but not the latter. My boyfriend called me during one of the lulls in conversation. I'm quite sure he heard me ring off saying, "I love you, ciao!". :)

Every Cuban guy I have ever known (and considering I lived in Little Havana for awhile Ive known a few) has no idea what the term "personal space" means.

When I went to Egypt, I was thunderstruck by how little room they give interpersonal situations. They're about 10 inches from your mush when they speak to you (a common trait with Middle Easterners, Arabs and those from the Mahgreb in general, I've been told).

The woman determines whether a social situation is a welcome advance, or a sexist imposition. That's just the way the world works.

And this lady didn't mind, probably because she's a WIS. :p

I think Dad would've knocked him down too.

Yikes. I have known people from various cultures who like to grab your hand (or both hands) to talk to you. It's not so bad when it's a female, but it's still very odd to our American sensibilities. The worst was an Iranian business associate who liked to almost touch foreheads when he spoke to you.

I eat out for lunch every day and usually at the same restaurant and have for years. I had a waitress / server who I have known for a few years grab my wrist to look at a Yacht-Master I had on. "Very nice" was her comment about the watch which was followed by some small talk and she was back to her tables. That was a very forward thing to do but acceptable because we have come to know each other in a casual way at the restaurant. Really no big deal to me.

Freddy had a good one with a Patek and a lady who also grabbed his wrist, like this guy did with me. You know, it may be rude, but it just gave me a tingle. It's awesome to have one's taste validated by a similar-minded human being, even if it is a rep.

I know what you mean, as that's what I felt when a friend was looking at my 029a in the pub. She didn't grab my wrist, I think Emily would've ripped her arm off, then mine (she's more than a tad jealous of Nicola, despite the fact we're godparents to her son :lol: ) but it was nice for someone to actually notice the watch without any kind of attention drawn to it first. Since then, I have found myself wearing the 029a more than before, but then again, that could just be by being in circumstances where I didn't want my 127 endangered. When we're going to my friend's birthday (staying a few days) I'll be wearing my 127, but, I'll also take my 029a, as we'll be laser-questing saturday, followed by an evening in and out of bars, and, while I want to wear something I don't mind taking a few dings while laser-questing, I don't want to be wearing a complete POS (like my black plastic submariner :lol: ) when we then move on to classier establishments later on :lol:

Edited by TeeJay

"Very nice"

You know the words I use? "I like your watch, it's a xxxx, isn't it?". But the INEVITABLE phrase used to compliment one of my watches (which is happening more and more these days) is:

"Nice watch"

Followed by a pause, then a hint of an envious look, then true appreciation in their smile.

And I reckon if you compliment my watch, you can grab any part of me you like. :p