When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Strap recomendation for a 28A

addingwatch

Lovely piece. Your watch sure is worth a PAV strap, but since they now cost like a 1000$, I would say go for a Greg Stevens Crazy Horse Black Stitch..

here is a pic of it so you get the picture what is he talking about...the only thing that the buckle should be PVD..

crazyhorseblackstitchce2.jpg

$1,000 for a PAV strap? I thought I was nuts paying $300 a couple of years ago. On second thought I am a genius. :lol: But seriously I think that color in general looks really good with PVD.

PAV straps are discontinued for some time now. I read a post a few days a go about some risti shedding tears that due the astronomical prices the hobby was no fun any more. The poor guy had almost a complete set of PAV straps, just missing one, but he was crying that at the going rate of ~1000$ for a PAV strap his dream of a complete collection of PAV straps would never come to fruition.

Poor guy, life is so unfair...

Poor guy, life is so unfair...

Hey, that's Socko you're talking about. He's a nice guy!

You needn't buy an "original" PAV strap for $$$. Just $$. $219 to be precise. ;)

http://mariopaci.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv..._Code=MPSpecial

They have the PAV 90, PAV 91, PAV 98, and PAV 99 (I'm sure you're astonished to hear this, but I have them all). :p

For the PVD, I like the suggestion of the Crazy Horse with black stitching and PVD buckle which I know Greg has. The problem is the CH is sold out -- unless you buy it used on Risti, forget it.

Walter (Smat) of course makes PVD special straps, with a very crazy stitch pattern. Looks awesome. But the leather is bad, I admit.

walteryarrbk4.jpg

(On Strap Culture PVD buckle)

I'm actually going to suggest something very unusual but elegant for a PVD.

oembordeauxglossygatorcbv6.jpg

An OEM Bordeaux Gator glossy strap.

Either that or the Toscana Fiero, worn here by Scoobs (hope he doesn't mind!):

pam0111eangusontoscanafix7.jpg

This is the CH black stitch I mean.

Ooh, that looks very nice. Is that from his recent new hides? I heard there might be a Crazy Horse II in the offing.

@Ravishrick (nice ID BTW): A big duh to me, and a big thank you to you. However, I just finally did get that Jules Verne Gator strap. I got it for a song -- $260. No more straps for her for a while. Miss Vicky will be eating hamburger helper in March. :(

Thanks for all of your help. In the end, I decided on two straps as suggested, the above crazy horse and an OEM tantilum that I had laying around. When I get a chance, I will take some pics.

Regards.

addingwatch--

I hope to be going through your "dilemma" in a few weeks, as my 28A is in the EU for PVD service. Please post your pics if you get a chance. I'd love to see the finished product.

sorry to be off-topic, but is the only difference between the 27A and 28A the textured dial?

In my non-expert opinion, I believe the two biggest differences are the dial, which you pointed out, and the case finish: the 27 is polished, whereas the 28 is PVD. There certainly may be some other more technical differences that I'm not aware of.

Just curious for those of you who own PAV straps...original & MP...how soft are they. I remember reading somewhere that since they are waterproof straps, they are quite stiff. Just curious to know how they break in.

My MP PAVs

PAV 91: Middle stiff texture. It has a very rich, strong feel to it, in terms of character and pliability. (Have 24/26mm, others 24mm only)

PAV 90: Middle texture. It holds its shape nicely.

PAV 99: Soft texture. Doughy but not overly so.

PAV 98: Softest and most pliable of them all. Barely any breaking-in needed.

Hey V, how does that 99 patina? Or have you worn it enough to notice yet?

Precisely. It's been taken out of its pouch only once, for a Wristcheck. Twice at the very outside.

pav91starbucksta3.jpg

Most of my straps have been worn only a handful of times. That's why I love buying straps from Risti, with patina achieved. :)