When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Let's see them Guns

lanikai

You will never improve your arm size with those isolation exercises. Never.

If you want big arms, you'd better start squatting and deadlifting, and increasing your overall body mass. Have you ever seen a really big guy guy with big arms and thin torso & skinny legs? Well... me neither. ;)

Deadlifts and squats are my staple :) ...and I hate hate hate isolation exercises. I get so bored. I LOVE leg day...until I walk out of the gym as though I just got released from prison. :lol:

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Deadlifts and squats are my staple :) ...and I hate hate hate isolation exercises. I get so bored. I LOVE leg day...until I walk out of the gym as though I just got released from prison. :lol:

Now that's the spirit. :D

You will never improve your arm size with those isolation exercises. Never.

If you want big arms, you'd better start squatting and deadlifting, and increasing your overall body mass. Have you ever seen a really big guy with big arms and thin torso & skinny legs? Well... me neither. ;)

When I meet kids in the gym (who ask for training advice) they will all get this same answer. 70 percent of man's muscle mass is in the legs and lower back, but people concentrate on training the 30%. I mean, how stupid is that... if you want to improve overall?

Do these kids take my advice? Naah, because squats and deadlifts are the hardest exercises to do. But man do they make a lot of arm curls... year after year... and their arms look like toothpicks.

You are soo dead on BT.. "kids" now day's are into .."for show" .. Power moves are the only answer .. all you said... and full clean and jerks... all the kids want guns but never improve overall base.. squats,.. dead lifts,.. bench.... everyone wants arms and chest.. looks stupid to have large pecs and arms.. no legs.. no back

the only young power lifters that do well.. I'm talking about State and World records are the ones that are willing to put in the work.. training that will make you puke.. not the ones that come in and do bench and bi's and tri's

the squat rack should be your bread and butter .... NO DOUBT.. arms are useless without the base..

Well said BT

Do these count?

2gtbzus.jpg

2hwdv7c.jpg

1fwexi.jpg

By-tor knows his stuff. Getting big is not rocket science. Basic compound exercises, heavy weight, low reps, plenty of rest and lots of protein and complex carbs. The rest is genetics. After I started training again last year after a decade long lazy streak, I put on 25lbs solid in just under 6 weeks, drug free.

Edited by The Mentalist

You are definately not cycling in these pics... you must blow up when you do.... good to really "cycle" instead of stay on it year round.. looks good man :thumbsupsmileyanim:

PM me if you want a Golds Gym "hawaii T-top

BT you too..

Cheers! I'll take you up on that, lol.

Seriously, the only reason I'm not juicing is water retention and the fact that I'll never fit into my clothes and I have too much dough tied up in my suits to get another 'juicing' wardrobe if you know what I mean.

It's nice to see so many brother ironheads on here.

Edited by The Mentalist

Cheers! I'll take you up on that, lol.

Seriously, the only reason I'm not juicing is water retention and the fact that I'll never fit into my clothes and I have too much dough tied up in my suits to get another 'juicing' wardrobe if you know what I mean.

know what you mean.. alway's had to have my suits cut.. you know the deal.. chest and shoulders,.. arms taken out.. nothing fits off the rack.. pants need too be oversized then trimmed big time at the waist.. regular shirts .. to find the one that fits.. the tails are down by your knees.. the sleeves .. a meter too long..

You use chains and rubber straps in your training in UK (hanging off the bars etc.)?? eastern europeans did it for decades .. it just caught on here in the 90's

what are you XXL .. what colour black,.. red ?? mostly XXl at the gym .. used to be "the Gym" then Golds bought it out.. we all stayed though

power room is not AC'd .. couple of the boy's getting ready for the strong man contest.. I should post pics.. something to see.. 300 lb. concrete ball hoisted up to a platform.. multiple times .. try and pick that off the ground.. nothing to grab..

doctor friend offered me HGH.. would love too.. but not just to be big.. still .. someday it will be over the counter IMO

You are soo dead on BT.. "kids" now day's are into .."for show" .. Power moves are the only answer .. all you said... and full clean and jerks... all the kids want guns but never improve overall base.. squats,.. dead lifts,.. bench.... everyone wants arms and chest.. looks stupid to have large pecs and arms.. no legs.. no back

the only young power lifters that do well.. I'm talking about State and World records are the ones that are willing to put in the work.. training that will make you puke.. not the ones that come in and do bench and bi's and tri's

the squat rack should be your bread and butter .... NO DOUBT.. arms are useless without the base..

Well said BT

It was the "Weider overtraining principles" that screwed up the whole training scene for decades.

Too many natural, non-steroid using people really believe that they can make progress with those isolation exercises and excessive overload... like training 6 times a week... or other bs like that.

What works for chemically assisted professional bodybuilders don't work for ordinary people. At all.

I openly admit that I took steroids when I competed, but even with chemical assistance I could have never, ever recover from 6 intensive training sessions per week. How could an average, 100% natural family man (with work and other necessities) do that? I still hear about "professional" gym instructors who make this kind of training schedules for ordinary people! If people stopped wasting their time with useless arm curls, leg extensions, butterflys, pec decks and all that other shite... they'd make 200% better results.

It's no surprise that you see so few people continuing with weight training, after the initial 3 months' "amateur burst" is over. If people read some sensible training information, like books by Stuart McRobert or Dr. Ken Leistner, they could make progress that exceed their wildest dreams... without any drugs.

My brother is an ex-cage fighter, now training for boxing. We do our weights together now, and he put on 14 lbs of muscle in 4 months. Nothing special for a chemically assisted guy, but remarkable for a nattie. And he's a small guy, now 180 lbs. We were utilizing only 2!!! hard weight training sessions a week. Monday and Friday.

I'm not a firm believer of HIT or Hardgainer (those guys are way too pragmatic) but if I had to choose between volume/isolation and HIT (for a natural trainee) I would choose less volume and less frequency without hesitation.

It was the "Weider overtraining principles" that screwed up the whole training scene for decades.

Too many natural, non-steroid using people really believe that they can make progress with those isolation exercises and excessive overload... like training 6 times a week... or other bs like that.

On weeks when it's work is too crazy to get to the gym as often as I want, it's pretty much a combination of squats, DLs, SLDLs, benchpress and pull-ups. Zero isolation exercises.

One guy from .. "down under' used to do minimal reps .. high weight .. high compression movements.. your talking 2 to 3 reps only 2 to 3 sets.. he was huge.. so he broke down enough cells then rested a couple day's .. they rebuilt to huge sizes.. roids are actually the best way to recover.. rather than to just get super stong.. too many guy's over train and break down too many cells to recover... tried all the different routines.. 3-1... 4-2... 3-1-3 ... your GH spikes at sleep or right after training .. so it makes no sense to over train then little recovery time..

Personal trainers now are into hours .. they love nothing better to schedule clients 6 day's a week.. adult day care..lol

only way to get big.. train hard.. a lot of rest .. 6 meals a day... 6000 "good' calories.. that is a full time job.. and costly .. only 3 of my buddies parlayed this into lucrative business' .. others .. just for trophies .. still it was the mental as well as the physical challenge that made it all worth it..

with all the injuries .. I would do it all over in a heart beat..

Go hard or GO HOME...

Hey Lanikai, I'm an XXL. (47" chest). Maybe that's an XXL or not....beats me. I know guys with 63" chests. Black is cool. I'll PM you my address later as I'm heading for some shuteye. let me know if you want anything for shipping or something. I wish we had a Golds here as I could get you a Golds London shirt.

We don't have bands or chains but I did bring a load of chains with me last summer and worked on my bench with them....jeez, it hurt but it did allow me to break the 300lb barrier for the first time.

@By-Tor, you talk a lot of sense. I'm genetically blessed but even I find frequent training (4 days a week) burnt me out after 4 months. I am a great fan of Stuart McRobert and used his 'Big Arms' course when I started out in the early 90's. I'm also a big fan of HIT. For me, short brutal workouts are best.

Edited by The Mentalist

Hey Lanikai, I'm an XXL. (47" chest). Maybe that's an XXL or not....beats me. I know guys with 63" chests. Black is cool. I'll PM you my address later as I'm heading for some shuteye. let me know if you want anything for shipping or something. I wish we had a Golds here as I could get you a Golds London shirt.

We don't have bands or chains but I did bring a load of chains with me last summer and worked on my bench with them....jeez, it hurt but it did allow me to break the 300lb barrier for the first time.

@By-Tor, you talk a lot of sense. I'm genetically blessed but even I find frequent training (4 days a week) burnt me out after 4 months. I am a great fan of Stuart McRobert and used his 'Big Arms' course when I started out in the early 90's. I'm also a big fan of HIT. For me, short brutal workouts are best.

No worries MT.. I cover up at the gym.. long sleeve.. I like to keep the blood pumped, I like to keep the blood in the muscle as long as I can to flush the lactic acid out as much as possible.. I alway's cover up, only time I weat tank tops is outside the gym.. some of the guy's that slice up their t-shirts.. I swear their GF's lie to them.. cause we sure see something different than they do in the mirror...lol

47" is XL .. XXL for T-shirt.... XL for tank top ... the t-shirt I'm wearing in the pic is

XL and tight..so you definately take a XXL T-shirt,... XL tank top

This thread looked fun, so I just took this 5 minutes ago (did anyone else find it hard to flex and take a picture at the same time? lol). Arms are probably my least-developed bodypart, but I don't really care, as I focus on legs/back firstly, and chest/shoulders secondly.

ME.jpg

And yes, I know I need a tan, but give me a break there isn't much sun during these long Canadian winters. :lol:

Alway's wanted to ask.. are the CZ's on the bezel passable at first glance.. or does it look like the merchandise on shop NBC ??

The cz's look very good. Its a very impressive watch all around. I compared this black dial BCE to a gen silver dial BCE with diamond bezel and i would challenge anyone who isnt a replica expert like us to notice any difference if they were laying side by side on a table.

I LOVE the indian! :)

And of course, the construction worker. Everyone else looks gay.

What do you mean I'm Gay....that's me, the cowboy! Haven't you seen my other movie???? Brokeback somethin, somethin???? :thumbsupsmileyanim: