When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Macho Man

Victoria

The forum has thunderclouds today, but let's allow sunlight to peep through. Here's a question for you gentlemen of the forum:

Do you judge a guy's machoness based on the kind of watch you see him wearing?

I know a lot of so-called "fashion watches", like Bvlgaris, Jacob & Co. & even the Rolex Cellini are often winked at by certain guys. The latter are usually wearing tool watches, or Panerai, the bigger the better.

masculinewatchgl5.jpg

Are you that kind of person, or do you just not care what type of watch is on the other guy's wrist?

I'm sure there must be some stories of two guys wearing the same watch, striking up a conversation in public. :)

Whenever I see somebody wearing a luxury watch, I definitely feel impressed. Different watches bring up different connotations of course;

Rolex: either a Federal government employee or fake, depending on the rest of appearance. (understand this is ottawa, of course)

Panerai: I have only seen one of these. The young gentleman wearing it had the "downs syndrome" I'm pretty sure. At least he looked, sounded, and smelled like it.

In fact these are the only luxury watches I've seen... so much for living in hicktown.

Vic .. not really int

Vic .. not really into checking out other guys wrists for watches ... but am secure enough to strike a conversation if it is a very unique watch that i have not seen before .. or if it is a watch brand / model that i may have interest

For eample ... Dave123 with his hublot and BCE bling ... would spark some curiosity from me

Panerai: I have only seen one of these. The young gentleman wearing it had the "downs syndrome" I'm pretty sure. At least he looked, sounded, and smelled like it.

Your original version was better! I remember our beloved Ryyannon included it into his .sig. Classic! ;)

Lately, I've been observing men who wear Breitling. And Breits just give off a very macho air.

I recall someone saying on RWI, that they went into an NHL meeting, and it was wall-to-wall Breitling. I can believe it!

@Prince: Hmm? :)

Ah, this isn't showing up!

"Vic .. not really into checking out other guys wrists for watches ... but am secure enough to strike a conversation if it is a very unique watch that i have not seen before .. or if it is a watch brand / model that i may have interest

For eample ... Dave123 with his hublot and BCE bling ... would spark some curiosity from me"

Because he gives off a very macho air, but those are rather flamboyant watches? It would intrigue me too. :)

No Vicky I don't, because I'd rather be looking @ the babes than some stupid watches :lol:

Seriously, for many of the people that wear fine reps people know they are not gen's no matter how good the rep. Why? It's the whole picture of the wearer. Some kid @ 20-30, some guys @ 30-40 wearing a $20-30K watch most unlikely. When of course you match it to where he/she works, how many kids they have, mortgage payments, married/ divorced... paying alimony, what type of wheels he/she drives, clubs he/she belongs to. In other words it's the aura around that person that makes him/her look the part of owning an expensive watch. Many a time people will say 'yeah sure that's as real as a three dollar bill', because they do the addition to see whether it all adds up.

For example Billie Bob Clinton wears a Pam with a black croc strap. I have no doubt it's a gen.

I know many rep wearers tell their friends it's a rep. But when they step out for the evening/go to work and people they don't know do the wrist check, then they begin the checklist to see if it's real or fake.

Please understand, this is not a put down for anyone...it's simply a reality check. Also it's not a mud sling at any rep collectors here online and their hobby. It's simply my two cents and my humble opinion for what it's worth. :D

in all honesty, i have never seen anyone wearing a pam in public, ever. i dont go on the prowl and spot everyone's wrist piece, but watches do catch my attention. unfortunately, the places i attend tend to be filled with guys who get the biggest, most blinged out watches from the swap meet, just so people will look at them (attention whores). those kind of people i am least likely to strike up a conversation with.

Not really any judgement. But if I happen to see anyone with a special watch (IWC, AL&S, AP, PP, OP -- NOT Rolex, NOT Cartier, NOT Bulgari etc) I admit I feel somewhat curious about him/her/it.

Not really any judgement. But if I happen to see anyone with a special watch (IWC, AL&S, AP, PP, OP -- NOT Rolex, NOT Cartier, NOT Bulgari etc) I admit I feel somewhat curious about him/her/it.

Allow a guess, my dear Sssurfer?

- You wonder what series of events led to him or her choosing, then buying such a watch?

- You wonder if they are watch cognoscenti?

- You wonder how much disposable wealth they have?

- You wonder why they chose this or that colour/model/etc/ of IWC, AL&S...?

I am of the opinion that every single detail about you, says something about you. IOW, as a wise man once said, the devil's in the details.

@Stormtrooper4: LOL!! ...and I think this thread is going to get more play later. Today has been a very "funny" day on RWG.

How classy watch, clothes or car someone has doesn't mean SQUAT to me.

Success in life has nothing to do with money, career or things that we can buy.

I wish more people realized this, and stopped wasting their lives. Cars, watches and all that stuff are just harmless fun... they're not so important. And besides... you can't buy charisma.

Can't say I associated watches with being Macho. Most of the people I know wear cheap watches (Fossil, Tommy Bahama, or the like - a $300 rep would be an upgrade - and these people can afford the good stuff). The ones with good watches are normally wearing a Rolex (especially true at the last place I worked). I've only seen one PAM. I believe it was a white dialed daylight. The gentleman wearing it was about 75 years old. I could be wrong but I dont' think very many people wear replicas in the area where I live.

Can't say I associated watches with being Macho. Most of the people I know wear cheap watches (Fossil, Tommy Bahama, or the like - a $300 rep would be an upgrade - and these people can afford the good stuff). The ones with good watches are normally wearing a Rolex (especially true at the last place I worked). I've only seen one PAM. I believe it was a white dialed daylight. The gentleman wearing it was about 75 years old. I could be wrong but I dont' think very many people wear replicas in the area where I live.

This has been an interesting thread, with surprising replies, at least for me.

Now I wonder how much guys being WISses here has to do with this.

Do the Fossil and Tommy Bahama guys who aren't necessarily too knowledgeable, judge Sub-wearing guys as loaded and macho? Or are watches just not on the radar for masculine points with you lads?

See, being a woman sometimes has pitfalls in trying to "read" how men interact.

By-Tor's right. You can't buy Charisma. Some of us are just born with it.

Crap...then are you telling me the pills I bought on Fleabay are duds? I wonder if I can get a refund...

Personally, I check out watches...just the same as I check out other technical gadgets I'm into. I couldn't really care less about what the macho level is of the person, or their station in life...I'm just interested in seeing great/ugly design out in the community. Big bling items like cars...I'm not really into, unless the demonstrate interesting design like a Porsche Carrera GT vs. Boxsters, 911s, Carrera-4s etc which I couldn't care less about as they are as common as Starbucks on an urban corner.

I don't assume watches are fake or not based on the person, but what I see...as I've seen people making very low incomes stretch themselves out making payments they can't afford on Hummer H2s or Escalades, or bike couriers who make just above minimum wage IF they ride through rain and freezing weather everyday riding $10,000 bicycles.

I've been around millionaire/billionaire types who eat powdered soup everyday for lunch as they think it's a waste to buy anything else for that meal...or don't wear shoes around the office as they don't want to wear them out.

People who don't fit a "look" completely may well have the gen item if they are passionate about that item.

Allow a guess, my dear Sssurfer?

Well, they actually were four guesses, but I'll allow as well. :)

- You wonder what series of events led to him or her choosing, then buying such a watch? -- A LITTLE

- You wonder if they are watch cognoscenti? -- ESPECIALLY

- You wonder how much disposable wealth they have? -- NO

- You wonder why they chose this or that colour/model/etc/ of IWC, AL&S...? -- A LITTLE (related to #1)

I am of the opinion that every single detail about you, says something about you.

100% agree.

Just, the problem is how to decode it. ;)

I tend to believe that the bigger the watch the bigger the overdraft. I know some people with real big money ... were talking numbers where I would give all mine away for just a slice off their pile and these people don't put it into watches. Watch people will will spend whatever it takes to get their fix and those not into them could care less. On the expensive end I see Rolex where I live otherwise Seiko and Citizen are the typical watch fare.

I don't judge other people. Or at least I try really hard not to. But I *do* judge inanimate objects. Severely.

To me, how something is designed and executed is what matters. How much effort went into its creation? How well does it work and how long will it last? That's my bottom line.

I love Bach and Durufle and Debussy and Saint-Saens and Copland because they worked their butts off to write those pieces. They've endured centuries.

I hate disco and bubble-gum music. Jingles took about *snap* that long to write. Pffffffft. One-hit wonders don't do it for me.

I loathe tinny little disposable cars because they have no soul. My Rover was signed (back of the driver's seat) by the lads who hand-built it. Sure it has quirks, but that's what endears it to me. I don't want to drive a soulless toaster.

I love Renoir and Monet but can't stand Patrick Nagel. I love Stickley furniture. I love Mountain Hardwear camping gear.

So when I look at a watch and see sparkle and shine, I'm interested. All guys love shiny things with buttons. But if I realize it's a quartz $3 watch wrapped up in a $300 price tag, it's a total turnoff. It's a cheap POS trying to look chunky and impressive. Mind you I'm talking about the watch ... not its wearer. For whatever reason, s/he has chosen it and doubtless likes its looks.

Gimme something old and well-loved with a huge dose of "soul" every time.