When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Heavy Metal & Just Desserts

freddy333

Those considering a Daytona might find this useful - The State of the Art in Daytonas

Left to right (movement as fitted in my watch) -- 6238 (A7750) - 6238 (A7750) - 6241 (V72) - 6239 (V72) - 116509 (A7750) - 116520 (A7750) - 6263 (A7750)

hangingdaytonas005906o1.jpg

6238 - Produced from the beginning of the 1960s to 1967 in stainless steel, 14 kt and 18 kt gold, the chronograph ref. 6238 is the last of the models with a smooth bezel and graduated scale printed on dial. A casual and sporty watch, it's design is more modern compared to earlier chronographs. Considered the precursor to the Daytona, among collectors it is knows as the Pre-Daytona.

6239 - Evolved from the ref. 6238, it was called COSMOGRAPH evoking the attention on space travel in the 1960s. The distribution occurred in different periods on the world market: in European catalogues it appeared for the first time in 1964, even if it is presumed that it was already on sale in the United States in 1963.

6241 - Produced from 1965 to approximately 1969, almost together with ref. 6240, this model too has a calibrated black bezel, but it has push-down buttons and 6 mm winding crown, typical features of ref. 6239.

6263 - At the beginning of the 1970s, and until approximately the end of 1987, Rolex presents the two new chronographs refs. 6263 - 6265. In the continuous search to improve the waterproofing, Rolex introduces various modifications differing from refs. 6262 - 6264, reintroducing the use of screw-down push buttons and a larger winding crown, as used on ref. 6240.

1165xx - Beginning in 2000, the current Daytona models are now fitted with an in-house 4130 automatic movement with 72 hour power reserve. More details available on rolex.com.

Gen descriptions taken (mostly) from Rolex Daytona: A Legend is Born

I'm becoming a fan.

A beautiful collection shot will skill and imagination.

Thank you (all). For whatever it is worth, the shot started out with my arm being used as the 'bar', but I was unable to keep the watches stable long enough to get a good, clear shot. So I switched to plan b & shot them hanging off my pole instead. :whistling:

Did somebody say Daytona??? :cc_detective: More photos for reference.......

Porcelain dial

porcelain.jpg

Patrizzi dials

patrizzi.jpg

Mark I

mark_1.jpg

Mark II

mark_2.jpg

A and P

a_and_p.jpg

High and Low fonts

hi_low_fonts.jpg

Group Photo - say CHEESE

the_family.jpg

And my favorite, the Jean Claude Killy

jean-claude-killy.jpg

No need to go to TZ, those are Zane's Daytonas in my photos! He has some others that show the Patrizzi ageing a little better. The JCK is not his.........

Yes, but he posted 3-4 pics like these (each containing a different portion of his Daytona collection - it would take me forever to find the other pics in my archives)

AllDaytona.jpg

And for those who are unfamilar with this guy, his Daytonas are ALL gens & he must have close to 100 of them, including a number of vary rare pieces

Porcelain and Patrizzi come to mind... those things don't just fall from trees.

Luckily, he was the one over there that recognized my GMT's dial as genuine, although exceedingly rare.

It was nip and tuck, the mob was gathering to hang me from the nearest tree until he showed up and called

off the scene. He even had another photo of a different 1675 with the same dial.

Zane's the man. :tu: