When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

100% accurate PAM 1A & 2A T Swiss T dials

PAMman

Reading through the various posts in this section there seems to be an insatiable appetite for an accurate Panerai rep. Oddly though, the rep community tends to favour the latest 111 / 112 H /J etc while the true 'Risti will seek out the 'T' dial watches and pay a significant premium for watches which were simpler (cheaper) to build originally and were arguably less well finished.

Particularly for Panerais, and to an extent any other watch, the best 'out of the box rep' or 'modded' rep will always be a watch with a closed caseback, absolutely no contest. The solid caseback can be repped with 100% accuracy easily while the movement can't. For example consider the casebacks for 201/A (incorrectly fitted to the original 005 rep), 001, 027, 029 etc and compare with the best of the movements visible through display backs. All of the solid casebacks that I've mentioned look totally accurate from the rear and have the bonus of unaltered Swiss movements inside. The best modified movement won't fool anyone and, in my view, has been compromised by the Asian modifications.

When we consider the level of accuracy that has been achieved with complicated dials such as the Tag Link chrono, various Omega & IWCs, Breitlings etc. an accurate copy of the plain and simple Panerai dial (001 / 002'T', 000, 005, etc) should be a penalty kick. We are talking about a straightforward print onto a flat brass disk. There is certainly the expertise within the rep industry to produce the goods so that's not the problem. Ideally I would like to find the manufacturer of the 027 rep dial as the quality of the finish is the best that I have seen and is every bit as good as the gen. I have the rep and my friend has the gen and trust me the rep is just as well printed. Some of the gen dials are nothing exceptional - for example the tobacco dial 116 is not as sharp as the similar 002. river sold the last of the 2892 A2 027s so he may be the best route back to the dial source in the first instance.

As a community can we not commission the production of a 100% accurate dial through one of our dealers? I would suggest the T SWISS T 001 or 002 dials for starters, then individually numbered matching casebacks as phase 2. We could underwrite the financing of the whole operation for a run of approx 100 items. If this is something that you would fully support please record your interest so that we can guage demand for an accurate 1A or 2A dial.

Edited by PAMman

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would definitively be in for a T Swiss T 001 dial, maybe a T - Swiss - T dial ?

DSN is trying to get the T-Swiss-T engraved/lume filled dials right as we speak. Without huge success, unfortunately. The T Swiss T sausage dials are much easier to get right, thus, have a much higher chance of actually coming to fruition.

DSN is trying to get the T-Swiss-T engraved/lume filled dials right as we speak. Without huge success, unfortunately. The T Swiss T sausage dials are much easier to get right, thus, have a much higher chance of actually coming to fruition.

Agree totally. You may have noted my frustration at Davidsen's failure to EVEN attempt to correct the shape of the incorrect engraved numbers which ruin the whole project. The T SWISS T dial is not dependent on engraving thus reduces the manufacture to a one-step process which should be the key to success. Just think how simple this is in comparison to chronos with sunken subdials complete with concentric circles in a contrasting colour to the main dial, applied raised indices and 2-colour printing (Eg. Series Speciale Navitimer). This ought to be a 'walk in the park'.

If the dial is printed accurately then a hand lume in an aged tritium colour will complete the 3D effect.............SWEET.

Edited by PAMman

If we could possibly get enough "committed" memeber in on this, and find a trustworthy dealer, then maybe we could send deposits to get something like this moving. I would certainly buy several just to get "in" on a project like this.

PAMman, I get your point and will look to say a PAM005 as my next rep. Thanks for the advice.

If we could possibly get enough "committed" memeber in on this, and find a trustworthy dealer, then maybe we could send deposits to get something like this moving. I would certainly buy several just to get "in" on a project like this.

PAMman, I get your point and will look to say a PAM005 as my next rep. Thanks for the advice.

Be careful with the 005 - the dial is especially poor as it has all the usual font faults plus a really badly shaped logo. Also the rep CG is the older A - F series style so incorrect for the 000 & 005 which are G series onwards.

As far a the dial project is concerned I don't really see how this cannot be done. However, I am in EU and I only speak English so we really need an Asian partner with links to the industry. Ideally we need to be able to contact a dial maker with a proven track record and be able to communicate with him to get across the message of how anal we are. Getting this type of project undertaken in Europe is difficult as anyone with the correct equipment is already linked to legit watch manufacturing industry, so won't want to get involved. Those who may be game to try won't have the correct gear to do the job.

Which of the dealers coordinated the recent rep manufacturing, based on feedback from the boards? Can anyone suggest a collector / dealer who would work with us and act as a conduit between us members and the dial manufacturer. As I previously mentioned, in my experience the best quality rep Panerai dial (in terms of detailed finish) is the 027 in my 2892 A2 version. If we could get that dial maker on board we would be set.

Edited by PAMman

I would be in for a couple, but if I have to choose a 001 with a T dial is my grail

The 001 T dial is good because the existing B series caseback matches the 001B which can have the T dial. Get a decent Palp crown and you really have a highly accurate and desirable rep that you could wear anywhere.

If indeed we can commission a rep PAM that you can confidently wear anywhere, I'm definitely in!

I guess the next step is to 1.) find a trustworthy dealer who'll get the ball rolling 2.) get a list of those interested and collect the deposits.

So I'll start the list here....

Those who are interested in putting a 50% deposit for a PAM 001 T dial

1. Ztech

Please repost and add your name. You all know what to do.

DISCLAIMER!

Once you decide to get on the list and put down your deposit, there is no turning back. If you do, you loose your deposit.

I will by ANY panerai that has a correct dial. So if we can get one commissioned - i am IN. It is insane that the other reps on the board of Breits, IWC, etc are soooo good and these are so pathetic.

Totally agree. The complex dials are repped so well and the simplest dial is so poor. A base Panerai dial is less complex than an alarm clock.

For the Noobes, like me, is it possible to post some pictures of the gens that we are talking about? I'm new to PAMs. I have one and absolutely love it but still not familier with all the 1A/2A/1B/002/005 etc.

If it is at all possible, it would be greately appreciated and will also spur-up the demand and interest after looking at the pics.

thanks