When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

IWC Ingenieur Rep to Gen comparison.

FxrAndy

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Theres still enough definition I could sand back more edging, but its so small I hardly think anyone would be able to notice. There is still a beaded finish in the surface, but at least its polished and not matte anymore...

Heres a better pic with the other camera..

ingycrown2.jpg

Edited by owdeguy

I have showered in the ingy with out problems but not tested it any further than that, all i can add is that as long as all the seals are greased and fitted well there should be no reason for it not to be water tight, th gen is only tested to 120m so even at that it is only surface swimming, snorkeling recomended.

I have had my ingy in the sauna with a cold shower after ( a test that IWC use ! they have a cold watchcase and then put a drop of cold water on the crystal and then look if there is any condensation under the drop of water ! ) and it was perfectly watertight ( all gaskets and o-ring inside the crown !) greased with silicone.

But I have NOT the beatiful ar coating from k2222 or chiftang. Because there is always a risk of losing the watertightness when taking out and put back the crystal without put a NEW gasket!!!!!!

My watchsmith ( normally works with genuine rolex !!! ) saw that the crystal on my ingy was NOT sitting pefectly tight ( in line with the case ! ) to the watchcase but it is perfectly watertight now anyway.

But I think that You have to screw the caseback qute tight to the case when closing it AND make sure that the o-ring in the case is where should be and not hooked up somewhere, it is quite small in diameter !!!!

Excellent side by side, thx for sharing.

Strange coincidence, just today I have "worked" on the Ingie (changed straps) and was thinking of improving it with a DW... :)

I know the bracelet is a nice piece of work. I have however gone for the nylon strap, it just gives it a very different look. "Thinner" I would say.

In any case, an affordable "super rep" ? ;)

Use the deployment clasp ( folding clasp ) and the strap will last A LOT longer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use the deployment clasp ( folding clasp ) and the strap will last A LOT longer!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's indeed what I did, upon advice of PiratedZeus. And I agree, that's a wise solution. BTW, the best price around is from Trevor.

However, still thinking that if you go for Nylon, only the gen strap will make you (me :)) happy.

I can't believe I missed this one!!! (I had a good excuse - honest!)

PHENOMENAL review - thank you!!

And congrats on getting such an amazing watch. If I had to pick a watch in a fire, okay five to eight watches in a fire, maybe twelve...I'm an addict!! Help!

I love this watch - it's absolutely great. If the chronos worked, I'd be all over those too.

I got this from Precious Time in UK

SUPER REVIEW!!! I need a lello datewheel when seeing your revieuw. I have put a nylon strap in my ingy because the clasp broke, when braking the watch feld on the street and paint came of the dial. So beware if you have the bracelet installed on your ingy!

But my dealer solved all problems and gave me a new dial and clasp! Only thing on the nylon strap is that the finish on the end of the strap where it sits on the watch is very bad, maybe in the future I will buy an OEM nylon strap or OEM clasp.

Andy, does your ingy have double AR from K2222 or Chief? Or rep factory double AR? And in your eyes, which AR is the best compared to gen? I know K2222 AR has less bluish tint than the factory AR on my ingy, but what does the gen have?

Thanks and sorry for my english

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great review and I am also waiting for one. Bought from Eurotimez (very smooth transaction) and now with jakub for AR Coating and installation of Lello DW. Can't wait to get it back. (Actually, haven't even seen it yet as it was shipped directly to Poland for AR Coating!)

Would really appreciate any advice on how to polish the crown to get the crown to near the gen polished look?

Thanks,

Mark

SUPER REVIEW!!! I need a lello datewheel when seeing your revieuw. I have put a nylon strap in my ingy because the clasp broke, when braking the watch feld on the street and paint came of the dial. So beware if you have the bracelet installed on your ingy!

But my dealer solved all problems and gave me a new dial and clasp! Only thing on the nylon strap is that the finish on the end of the strap where it sits on the watch is very bad, maybe in the future I will buy an OEM nylon strap or OEM clasp.

Andy, does your ingy have double AR from K2222 or Chief? Or rep factory double AR? And in your eyes, which AR is the best compared to gen? I know K2222 AR has less bluish tint than the factory AR on my ingy, but what does the gen have?

Thanks and sorry for my english

Your english is fine mate, that is the stock rep factory AR and it is about the same as the gen!

• 3 months later...
Is a rep of the Ingy available of the original dial without the 12 & 6 on it? IWC @ 12 and all sticks. Was one ever made?

Nope not as far as i know.

stunning review Andy, you put a lot of time in this to make it, tnx for that...now when do you come over and we have our next GTG? :)

Missed the last one dident i, Just have toget money and time together, saving a bit right now for the Karlovy Vary GTG that i am working on, have a look at the world link in my sig. In fact PM sent

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this. GREAT post Andy. Really. And it really shows how great a rep Ingy can be when modded. You are making want to do mod projects again! This watch never knocked me out, but that doesn't mean that I don't really appreciate it. It is surely a very inportant piece in IWC's line. It has the one of, if not the best movement they make and its toughness is nearly unmatched in the industry. While impractical, it is so nice to own a gen and rep of the same watch just for posts like this. I don't know how you leave that gen in the vault man...

Thanks Robbie, I was never a fan of the ingy untill one day i thought after seeing pugwashes photos i would give it a try, i thought it was smaller than it is but the size is just right. Once i had it i was blown away, It is easy to keep the gen in the bank becasue the rep is soo good, they almost feel the same time. Hopefully in 50 years my daughter will remember where i put it and be able to enjoy it in one way or another. Imagine haveing a 50year old NEW prestige watch! I hope the market is good at that time.