When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

What do you do in this case?

inrila

Hi there,

Let's imagine a situation when you are wearing your Panerai (which is very popular :-) and there are some people around with gen Panerai's. Somebody spots the watch, asks to see, and after a quick look says it's a rep. What would you do in this case? Do you confess? Or do you just hit him in the face? :-)))

Do you usually say your rep is a rep, or you say it's a gen?

Of course I am not talking about obvious fake-reps, which even look like a piece of crap. Let's think of DSN's 111H, which is a modded, without usual flaws, but still has it's own issues.

Interesting to hear your thoughts on that.

Best!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell them it's a rep then smash them in the face with it. :)

I would only take it off my wrist if I knew I was going to tell them it's a rep. I would not let a stranger hold $4k dollars and I wont let a stranger hold my watch. Seriously, 99% of people even if they own the gen would not be able to tell a difference. It's just the serious collectors and watch nerds like us that make a big deal out of it with images blown up to supersize as an aid. On the wrist, good luck to them.

just say something like:

"sure... 5$ on the china town street corner from my good buddy ping-pong...." (shakes head and/or rolls eyes) ...the action at the end is very important..

I only had to use this line once and it was on a friend of mine who just asked jokingly... we see each other almost every other day and when you rotate 10x $20,000+ watches things start to get a little suspicious....

...but if anyone ever asked me seriously it would depend on the circumstance and person. I have a talent of finding and exploiting people's weaknesses and defects.

Say your grandfather gave it to you as a gift, then tear up and say "speaking of which, I need to buy my plane ticket to his funeral..." If that doesn't change the subject, hit him in the face for his insensitivity (but really for calling out your watch)

Seriously, though, I think if you put on a rep you had better know the flaws you could get called out on or you shouldn't be collecting reps in the first place. Then you should either be able to back it up, or fess up. Personally, I wouldn't want to take apart a 5k watch and/or upgrade it, but I like doing it, so Ill buy cheaper versions that I can personalize that will have some meaning to me.

If really pressed by someone, I would call him out for being a douchebag as much as he was calling me out for my watch. If it were a friend, I would just tell him why I like it and why I do it. Who's to say the a watch that you have worked hard to perfect is any more "authentic" than one you bought that is exactly like everyone elses?

That's my two cents at least...

I think the choices are pretty simple - either fess up or make a comment to the effect of "I hope not as it was a gift from my (wife/parents/whatever). There are a number of people I have told about the opportunity in reps but they tend to know that I own gens as well and either love it or think I am nuts. If it is a stranger or you are among a whole group of people I guess I would go with the gift concept. I can't imagine being asked though. As has been often said, very rarely is someone really going to stare at your wrist. But I also make it a point not to wear too obvious reps :)

In my experience, if you live the life style that warrants the price of the watch you wear, few will question a good rep. However, there are those that are simply fishing or trying to appear smart. My initial response would be one of surprise. Then, I would quickly ask what would make them think such a thing because, I had paid good money for it and would need the information to confront the dealer.

If he knows his stuff, he will point out the replica flaws at which point you laugh and congratulate him on his knowledge. If he is fishing ,he will most likely apologise and back off or possibly, hand you a load of crap about your watch. If so, act P.O.'d and ask him to accompany you to the dealer to explain why he knows you were sold a rep. Also, ask if he will be an "expert witness" if you decide to sue the dealer. 1000 to 1 that he will decline the offer.

Edited by jdavis

Getting "called out" is why I haven't bought a Rolex rep yet.

I have several friends with gens, and I have stopped counting the number of times that the first thing out of someone's mouth after looking at it is either a question about if it's a gen, or a flat out declaration that it must be fake. Rude behavior to be sure, but I have heard it way too many times and decided to stick to lesser known reps.

To answer the question, for me it would depend on who was asking. Friends/family would probably get an admission. Anyone else would get the "gift" story.

Someone at work goes "that must be fake" when I wore my MBK Sub TT one day. The watch has been modded with a gen dial and insert and the bracelet upgraded so he was just being a smarta$$. He wouldn't know a fake if I smacked him with it. Needless to say I take the watch off hand it to him and state the truth that it is indeed a replica watch. After careful examination, he proceeds to argue with me that it is real and I must make way more money than him. (I'm sure I do, he's a moron) Now he bugs me everyday about "hooking him up". I sent him to globalreplica.com

Someone at work goes "that must be fake" when I wore my MBK Sub TT one day. The watch has been modded with a gen dial and insert and the bracelet upgraded so he was just being a smarta$$. He wouldn't know a fake if I smacked him with it. Needless to say I take the watch off hand it to him and state the truth that it is indeed a replica watch. After careful examination, he proceeds to argue with me that it is real and I must make way more money than him. (I'm sure I do, he's a moron) Now he bugs me everyday about "hooking him up". I sent him to globalreplica.com

you naughty boy! :lol:

just say something like:

"sure... 5$ on the china town street corner from my good buddy ping-pong...." (shakes head and/or rolls eyes) ...the action at the end is very important..

I only had to use this line once and it was on a friend of mine who just asked jokingly... we see each other almost every other day and when you rotate 10x $20,000+ watches things start to get a little suspicious....

...but if anyone ever asked me seriously it would depend on the circumstance and person. I have a talent of finding and exploiting people's weaknesses and defects.

I also enjoy the Corgi method.

Hi,

I'd like to mention one of the sentences which hit me most when I joined this community. I like to say it from time to time, as a tribute to Clive. That was on RWG1 :

"Don't know what it is, I took it from a dead man..." (or something like that...)

^_^

The other method was tought by St

God I know... some people eh

I once had some jealous a$$hat purposefully spill wine over my TT sub during a reception for god knows what reason... and then he smiled after... maybe he was testing the waterproofness?

- "Wow, is that real?"

- "Uh yeah, I think so. It's ticking and it says it's 12.15...."

- "No, I mean is that a real Panerai?"

- "Well, it says Panerai, doesn't it.....?"

Depending on the situation and person asking I'll tell it's a rep or start another topic :)

In business situations I only wear mid priced gens, because I don't wanna be called out and I don't want my clients to think that I charge them too much. Most of my friends know I'm a watch addict. I've told them I have both gens and reps, but they couldn't care less....

Complete stranger (or co-worker) calling you out is plainly disrespectful and exudes no class, IMO. These are the kinds of people who will "size" you up before paying attention to the watch, no matter what brand (that they know of) it is. They find it hard to believe that you are wearing a (name of brand), and not them. And how could that be? I mean, you couldn't possibly earn more than them. Even though the asker doesn't know you, he thinks you probably have a menial job of some sort, so a Fossil or Seiko suits you more. Asker believes that if he's not wearing (name of brand), neither should you. Unless, of course, he is a die-hard aficionado, then he would polite pull you aside and ask you privately.

When you get asked, Corgi provided a good explanation. I mean,, the asker probably has seen reps before, but how could yours be a Canal St. special? It looks too good to be true! Thus, a question turns into a mystery. Huzzah!

They find it hard to believe that you are wearing a (name of brand), and not them. And how could that be?

Um, but they're right. You're wearing a fake.

They may be right for the wrong reasons, but you can't deny they are right.

Besides, if you're determined to lie your way out of it, you just need to say "Sure it's a fake. I'm not wearing a real one here. Do you think I'm stupid?"

9 times out of 10 it is becase you are wearing a rolex, it is the only name that alot of the public know when it comes to prestege watches, if it was an IWC or panerai, or god forbid a Patec they would not even recognize the name, but what is the first question you hear when you wear a rolex!

I guess you could call it a catch-22 with this "hobby" (face it: for most people, it's simply not a hobby, but a way to wear watches without putting a dent in their wallet).

Yes, you may be proud to be wearing reps, but the anomaly here is that people (not everyone) are embarrassed when being asked if it is a rep.