When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

New Rolex models from the Basel 2008 Show

piratedzeus

Actually, after looking at it some more, the new SD is a terrific watch. Its design aesthetic is certainly more pointedly rugged than past iterations and the functionality is more obviously emphasised. However, I'm really starting to like it. Rather a lot. I really like the flatter crystal and the extra deep, stepped rehaut. I've always found Rolex's to be a bit girly in size compared to the Omegas and this certainly goes a long way to redressing the balance. If I could, I would buy this watch in a heartbeat.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Deapsea is bad-as$ looking. It's chunky, beefy - basically a 16600 on steroids. It's hella-cool. The new Sub is pretty similar to the current one, short of the fact that the case looks a bit larger (especially the lugs). For people who complain that Rolex needs to update their models, well, here ya go. Either they needed to change some things, or leave them exactly as they were. Overall, the changes they made were pretty tame - fatter CG's, engraved rehaut, maxi-dial, ceramic inserts and larger cases. But overall, the SD and the Sub are still pretty much the same as they've always been and will be recognized in a second for a Rolex.

Obviously this is a subjective topic, but I really think people are over reacting here. The YM2 these are not.

SR

I am very dissapointed with Rolex now. I was soo ready to trade up my GEN 14060M, for the new ceramic no date sub, But hell they keep rolling with the concept of looking Blingy! with practically using precious metals on every model.

ok so I'm buying a DSSD... can anyone help me with my list of mods?

- fix the crown guards

- polish the [censored] off the rehault

- noob dial

- watchmaster insert

anything else?

breitling made a watch capible of 10000ft and made it look a breitling, and look good at the same time. rolex designers seem to have gotten lost in their concept. their end product is just not balanced.

and you may think the ym2 is ugly, and I would agree with you. but the new movement is an amazing achievement from what I understand. maybe someday the movement will live in a tasteful case.

just my thoughts....

breitling made a watch capible of 10000ft and made it look a breitling, and look good at the same time. rolex designers seem to have gotten lost in their concept. their end product is just not balanced.

Don't be ridiculous. The new watches are unmistakeably Rolex. They are still recognisably the Seadweller and Submariner respectively. They've updated the design and not altogether drastically either. There will always be those that prefer the older design, that's ok. I don't care much for the lamborghini Murcielago but I loved it's predecessor, the Diablo. But it doesn't mean I can't appreciate the newer model. Just don't dismiss something new as being bad just because it's not how you would have done it.

When i bought my Harley back in 93 there were loads of people with "See no Evo hear no Evo" tshirts on, they thought it was just not a harley, 10 years later they brought out the twin cam and the evo riders were the same against that, as the shovel riders to the evo, I am sure it happens every time a long standing design with an almost cult following gets changed. In 20 years time other people will have the same discussion when they change it again.

@the mentalist, I completely agree that the new DSSD is 100% rolex. I just don't think the aesthetic design is a very good one. my AD should have one the day they are availble.

I do like how they beefed up the datejust line. there is something very tasteful in the way they grew parts of the case. again just my thoughts...

i personally think Rolex is going in the wrong direction with their sport model designs but this deep sea isnt too bad... the bigger day date is a welcome change though. The old 38mm case is WAY too small by todays standards.

dizz

The new SD has been Seiko diver-ized I think. That's what the overall design reminds me of.

Now, as far as the new DJ is concerned, not bad at all. The 42mm case is a most welcome modernization and I hope they come out with a nice rep of this soon.

Well, at the very least, Rolex can't be accused of being staid and boring for this year. In the past, folks had expressed their disdain for the brand by saying their designs were too conservative and plain; the biggest change for a Basel show being a new dial, or wider hands and bigger markers. For 2007, they introduced some odd birds (most specifically the YMII) and it looks as though they're continuing that trend with some new designs and larger cases. However, I'm not certain what to think. My initial reaction was that their new line up is looking a bit gimmicky; lots of text and busy dials, bezels, etc. The Deep Sea looks a little awkward with it's big, chunky case and relatively narrow bracelet in between those lugs (to me, this looks very uncomfortable). The more and more I look at the '08 models and novelties, the more put off by the brand I become.

I wish Rolex would have stayed true with gradual evolution to their model/product DNA instead of trying to innovate/remodel their image. Granted, some of the technology and concepts introduced are a good thing; I just wish they would have perhaps taken a different, more conservative approach in doing so (as they've done in the past).

At the end of the day, however, I suppose it's not really fair to judge by pictures alone. And who knows? Perhaps in 1, 5 or 10 years from now, the general population might have a different opinion altogether? After all, the 1655 ExpII wasn't an instant favorite, and these days it's considered a grail by many...

Well since everyone else is putting in their 2 cents here is mine

1. I have never really like the current modern SS sub as I think the MAXI dial on the LV and 2008's are way better looking, more like the vintage 1680's and such.. The vintage 1680 sub is my favorite sub without a doubt.

2. The GMT 2 master 50th initially doesnt look so great in magazines and digital pics.. I suggest you go see one at an AD, you will be lucky to find a SS one, but he the TT and Solid 18k are generally in stock. They are all beautiful watches.. ceramic bezel insert and MAXI dials. Although I dont like the 18k green face, but I'm guessing those in Asia love it. I bought a SS GMT 2 Master 50th or current gen and paid full price for it.. it's truly a beautiful timepiece ( I had planned on buying a Smart 42 car this year, but got the watch instead :> ). I bet when the new DSSD and new subs show up they will bedazzle in person as well.

3. We are used to the norm and any change will meet resistance from this community, but in 2 years they will be accepted. It will be very interesting to see how long it takes joe chinaman to build ceramic bezel inserts.

4. It's funny how people talk about bling.. anytime I wear a pannie more people say "wow that's most biggest watch I've seen".. or "kewl bling"..

5. Rolex is making some big gambles, but lets face it.. they are Rolex.. even the crazy ass yachtmaster II will be successful.. just like any high end brand they can [censored] up a couple of products and probably wont kill them.. plus between gens and reps the consumer market might be literally saturated with current model subs and SD's.. I was in a meeting the other day that had 18 people in it and 16 peeps had a rolex on.. the first I wondered was how many where reps.. the second thing was depending on age of the person dictated sport vs.. daydate/datejust... I had on my MBW SWSD :>

peace

Mac

Interesting to me that people don't feel that Rolex is going to be accountable to their new designs because of their popularity. That might be true, but you guys are talking about these design changes as though they're just 'different' and not objectively poor designs. The difference between the new modern rollies and something like an updated Harley is that the new designs are largely crappy by any standard. It's not a matter of novelty needing some time to set in before it becomes accepted.

At least that's not what I see happening. You can destroy a brand. It might sound like it would be impossible for a company with Rolex's history to put themselves in jeopardy, but if they keep releasing designs like these, we'll wait and see what happens.

After re-reading this thread, and looking at the pictures again, I think that the Deep Sea is not as bad as I'd initially thought. I agree with repaustria that the coronet looks brutal and rep-like, and I wondered about the thickness of the font in the "Rolex" but I think it's just my eyes playing tricks on me. I felt By-Tor nailed it when he talked about the changes in terms of the "spirit" of the watch. I can still appreciate the spirit of the SD with this latest iteration. The fact that it's still attempting to push the envelope of it's supposed function as a dive watch can off-set the stylistically questionable choices.

I agree with what Ubi said about some of the design choices, especially the bracelet width issue on a 42mm case. I'm not sure how balanced that will look on the wrist.

It's the GMT that has been totally severed from it's ancestral origins. I also think the sub is a step in the wrong direction.

But even with the wonky rehaut engraving, canal street CG's, and all of the questionable changes, the Deep Sea at least seems less style-driven than most of the others, which are now officially "fashion watches". No need to lie on the customs form anymore! If a customs agent opens up one of these watches they would totally believe that it's value is less than $50.

Maybe Rolex will drop the watch heads altogether, and will go full into the niche of men's "fashion bracelets". Just as it seems ironic that Rolex seems to be copying the rep makers, maybe we can take advantage of this when trading them in the used market by not having to worry about them getting stolen or thought to be 'real' by outsiders. :p

7100 Euros confirmed. ;)

The watch has a Titanium caseback insert incorporated in the Ring Lock System which is a new reg tm of Rolex.

Wow...I'm surprised at the price.

And is that what that is on the caseback? <_<

I don't know what to say. It's a very strange synthesis they're trying to accomplish with these watches. I'd rather a complete redesign that would incorporate the "modern aesthetic" that they obviously want to introduce, rather than this aborted attempt to combine those contrasting and oppositional elements.

Look at the Breitling Heritage. That's a beautiful, classic design that incorporates some of the newer materials/technology in a way that remains tasteful and connected to the history of the brand. Rolex should've included the size increase, should've started double AR coating their crystals, and the ceramic bezel inserts should've been the last modernizing touch. Maybe the titanium case back can be included. Maybe.

For what is worth i like the deep sea :) ... also i think it answered the moaning of many people that wanted a bigger sized Rolex diver watch ... so here u go :)

What i like :

the blue lume

the doomed Christal

the titanium back

big as people wanted but maybe to big for some ( maybe me )

new extension concept of the redesign bracelet clasp

ceramic insert

don't like :

ring engravings

crown guards

price tag ... is a bit to much imho

regards laz

After re-reading this thread, and looking at the pictures again, I think that the Deep Sea is not as bad as I'd initially thought.

I'm warming to it. The more I see, the less I dislike. I don't like the text, but I could live with it.

Who knows, at this rate, we'll be begging for reps of it in 6 months.

ps. Yes, I like the new SD, in case I wasn't clear.

I'm warming to it. The more I see, the less I dislike. I don't like the text, but I could live with it.

Who knows, at this rate, we'll be begging for reps of it in 6 months.

ps. Yes, I like the new SD, in case I wasn't clear.

:D

How is it that watches seem to have a strange quality of being able to grow on you even if your initial response wasn't positive? If I see a girl on the street that I don't find attractive, chances are that I'm going to feel that way in a month, too. For some reason, these paradoxical little devils seem to be able to evade that general rule.

When I look back on my first response to the 'deep sea', I think that part of my initial disdain was being influenced by the Yachtmaster II, and some of the other designs that they've released alongside the new SD that cast an ugly shadow over its novel look.

When I ask myself why that could be, I'm left with By-Tor's observation about the 'spirit' of the watch still being in tact, when you consider where they've gone with some of their other 'tool' watches in the design revamp.