When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

No Comment, Not A Hoax, Just Passing It On:

ryyannon

Please, read and sign the petition. You are also welcome to spread the word.

On 2007 Guillermo Vargas Habacuc, a conceptual 'artist', took a street dog, tied him with a short rope to a wall of an art gallery and let him die slowly of starvation and thirst as an "installation".

For several days the artist and the visitors of this art gallery witnessesd the agony of the poor animal, until at last he died of starvation and thirst after painful, absurd suffering.

That's not all: the prestigious CentroAmerican Biennial of Art decided that this brutality was art, and Guillermo Vargas Habacuc has been invited to repeat the cruel "installation" at the next Biennial on 2008.

LET'S STOP HIM !

Link to the 'artist's' website which documents this in Spanish, with photos:

http://www.elperritovive.blogspot.com/

The online petition with over sixty thousand signatures:

http://www.petitiononline.com/ea6gk/petition.html

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's utterly vile and shocking. Someone should chain his ass to a wall and let him starve to death while people watch. What a frakking douche. Same goes for everyone who 'viewed' the 'exhibition' and did nothing to help the dog. That kind of behaviour is not 'art', just the warped actions of a psychopath. He should be charged, at the very least, with animal cruelty, but better, with murder, and made to take the relevent punishment.

PS: Goes without saying, that I signed the petition immediately.

Just wait until Dani finds this.

In the meantime, we could talk about TTK <_<

He gets upset when people talk about him here, as he "has no opportunity for rebuttal" (direct quote) Best not hurt his feelings further :) (not that he ever showed folks here the same consideration for their feelings :lol: )

spain has never been a animal friendly nation in general or any of the other latin nations for that matter.

so this is not shocking at all for me that he gets away whit this, in my country he woud get either beaten very bad by animal activist or jailed by police.

i think the people visiting this cruel show of human depravity is just as guilty as the "artist" ..

if you see a child or animal suffer and do nothing then your just as bad as the person doing the deed.

i do think some crasy people will get him before next show he can come to Norway me and some friends will pay him a visit and make a exebition in the streets whit him as the object like art, you now make him look like a fotball and use him as it.

Just look at him

what a piece of crap looking human, not strange he use animals for this crulety..We shoud out him in a cage and use him as "art" ..

1736722076d4c52tx5.jpg

:yucky: :yucky: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk:

Cheers

I em sure he will not be abel to do it again..

Last time i checked sigs was up to 130k

He will after this go more public need police protection or he will end up either dead or badly beaten i now many extrem animal welfare people and they are hardcore to the bone..I dont agree on using this types of acts on him but when nothing else is getting done its just have it is thaking things in your own hands..

After reading what he posted on myspace i em certain he is just crazy psycopat as he changes his "public" statment more often then a bullet flyes in the air in Chicago.

As other people say this is one that was done in public just try to imagne what other sick [censored]er up stuff he does not a long line to children.

Dani

I haven't read the Spanish-language article, but in the Guardian piece, the gallery owner states that the dog was actually fed at intervals by the artist (when the public was not present) and that it 'escaped', rather than died. In other words, a provocation and ultimately, a hoax - all for 'artistic' purposes.

Given the photo documentation - which lacks any images of a deceased dog (and which normally would have included this, given the way the event had been documented up until that point) - there may be some reason to believe that this was true and that the dog did not die.

In terms of provocation, the installation was certainly a success: the Guardian claims a half-million signatures of protestation (on another petition?), plus numerous death-threats against the artist.

The moment I read the title, I KNEW WHAT IT WAS ABOUT.

You know, being in a foreign country has its benefits. Instead of being ALL OVER THE PLACE news-wise, like the US is which ironically gives the impression that nothing is covered (the opposite is true), watching a smallish European country's news coverage is a tonic of concentration.

We got this story some days before I left, and you cannot imagine the reaction the day after. Everyone was talking of it, including the rather ditzy Italian tourists I met, who up 'to that moment, had only spoken of fashion and clubbing.

What can I say, disgusting. I thought of you, Dani.

Here is the artist's quote that most disgusts me, and refutes the idea it was a hoax-for-art thing. (Nativity - Navidad, I'm guessing - was the name of the dog)

"Nativity was a very sick creature and would have died in the streets anyway."

http://www.cynicsunlimited.com/2008/04/13/...-art-offensive/

What a F*CKING LOOSER!

I don't normally get upset about much...but, that dude can come to my city any time...and I'll be right there waiting at the airport. How about a slow public hanging of this bastard (you can't call him an artist)...After I beat the living sh*t out of him.

Ok, I'm done...back to watches.

i agree this guy is sick,but if you respond to it by saying you would starve him,beat him,hang him,make a spectacle out of him,you are just as bad as him.i'd like to know if anyone,after knowing what he did to that DOG,saw someone torturing him, would step in and stop it? :D

er... sorry to interupt, but that art-dog-dying thing is a hoax... pretty good one, thoug

http://www.hoaxbuster.com/hoaxteam/forum_c...mp;idMess=67929

The theme was a hoax. That he actually tied up a stray dog he found in the street, in an art gallery, as thousands of people passed by without so much as a whimper of protest, and then let the stray dog LOOSE into the streets afterward (once his fame and fortune was cemented) is uncontested.

Disgusting.

What next? Finding a little homeless kid, tying him up to a rope in an art gallery to highlight the hypocrisy of the public's "non-reaction"?

Art is by nature subversive. Any art. It's supposed to get a rise out of you.

But for a very long while, that's all its been. Where's the artistic TALENT anymore?