When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I've lost my friend today...

Guest Sql_pl

Guest Sql_pl

I am not sure if it is appropriate or if it is of anybody's interest but I feel that I need to get this out...

I lost a friend. A faithful, loyal friend.

After almost 14 years I had to put my beloved dog to sleep today.

Her name was Beta and she was a Pointer - a hunting dog.... even though she never actually went hunting.

becia1md8.jpg

She was a true member of the family. She saw me growing up. She was always there with me in my teenage years.

Unfortunalety some serious neck problems started to show around may last year. She started to have slight problems with walking but she did her best. It all started to become massive around december and since then it was a real fight to save her. Best vets, best medicaments, I tried virtually EVERYTHING that I could. But in such fight it is usually just a matter of time and no matter how hard you try you just can't win. She had some better days and some worse... I cherished every moment and every day with her. Took best care of her that I could even though it was time consuming and consisted of many sleepless nights. We all thought she'll be here with us longer, that she will sleep in the sun by the pool in summer what she always loved, but this monday she suddenly lost her rear legs. She was not able to stand. I took her to the vet frightened that it was the day we need to say goodbye. Luckily there was a medicine, a strong one like a last chance shot that could be used. I decided to try. Next day she suddenly started to be able to stand and slowly walk with my careful assistance. I thought we won another time! But we didn't. Even after a couple of days with this drug she could not stand up from her bed... I could see that it was really painful for her and even though she never complaint, she suffered. Yesterday all of a sudden it looked as if she felt better, even though she was not able to stand up from bed on her own she managed to walk, she ate some dog-snacks and looked like she didn't even want to sit... she walked around the house for like 20 minutes what seemed impossible recently. Unfortunately it was her last time doing that. Today she totally gave up. It was painful for her to stand, she didn't make one step on her own. She suffered and I had to make the toughest decision ever. I could not only think about my feelings but had to help her not to suffer anymore.

I don't know if many of you have been through that but I do not wish this to anyone. I've tried everythin, I've done my best but still I lost.

Hope that she is in a better place right now where she can walk, run, play with her favourite tennis ball and sit in the sun as long as she likes just like she always did.

A lot of wonderful memories will stay forever with me and my family. She gave us a lot of joy during these years that she was here.

This week while spending almost 24 hrs/day with her, feeding her, giving her water and helping her to stand up and walk I decided to start a 16520 Daytona project and I will dedicate it to my best friend Beta. I will complete this watch asap and it will remind me of her every time I admire it...

She will always be remembered, missed and loved.... just like she always loved us... unconditionally.

becia2vs6.jpg

In her honor, I'd love for each of you to post a picture of your pets. Take care of them and cherish every moment that you have with them!

Maciek.

Edited by Sql_pl

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nearly bringing tears to my eyes to read that!

I feel for you too, it happened to me when i was younger and it doesnt get any easier the older you get, the attachment/bond is just as strong.

Shes in a better place now and the pain will have gone at least you have some comfort in that

Take Care

Very sorry to hear this mate. I've been through it a few times and its always heart wrenching :( She's in doggy heaven now, and your memories with her will be with you for the rest of your life - cherish them. My condolences go out to you and your family, stay strong SQL - were here for you if you need anything at all

Here's my 2 year old pitbull cedes

cedes.jpg

Boy I am sorry for your loss. How shitty and tragic that dogs age so quickly. I have two labs, 10 and 3 and they mean the world to me.

Guest porsche356a

Maciek,

Just wanted to extend my deepest sympathies for the loss of your friend. I cannot pretend to understand how you may feel, however, keep the memories in your heart, and I promise as each day passes, the burden eases. Though you may never forget, the wound will heal.

Family Shot and the New Addition

DSC_1215.jpg

IMG_0343.jpg

i am very,very sorry to hear this type of news. i lost a dog when i was much younger and was

not that affected by it.

this time around will be a different story. i now have 2 boxers that are my life. they are much more than

pets to me...they are my family. i am truely sorry for your loss. my 2 babies extend their love.

1000739lt6.jpg

Been true the same many times never gets more easy maybe just worse.

My biggest sympati for your lose.

My dog is 6 already i have always had cameras i realy just buy them for thaking pics of him so i can have something to cherish later in life.

12062006056yc6ur1.jpg

SP.. i am so sorry for your emptiness today.. there is nothing more saddening today..Beta 's pain and suffering is over ..

the Hardess responsibility to fulfill is when the day comes to say goodbye.. it is never easy

this is Pua and Koa when they were pups.. joined at the hip they were.. inseperable.. the 3 of us... the day that Pua let me know with her eye's that is was time for the final trip to the vet she loved.. was the hardest thing for me.. but she let me know it was going to be all right..

she told me with her eye's that..."we had many happy and sad moments throughout the years but now she was in pain and tired and needed to go... and that i needed to let go ,because she was going to be OK.. and she knew I was going to be OK.. and to take care of Koa..".. she too could not stand up or move much.. so she told me with her eye's.. and miraculously she even wagged her curly tail again..

and that 's when I knew it was OK..

scan0001bo3.jpg

scan0002zl2.jpg

scan0003fj3.jpg

when Pua was being taken in on the table to the examining room she found it in her to turn her head at me, when for weeks she could not move.. and this (pic above) is exactly how she looked at me .. as if to say.."thank you for taking care of me through all the years"... and through my tears .. I said aloud,.. "NO.. thank you for taking care of me all these years"

both Pua and Koa have visited me in my dreams.. and they are together again joined at the hip .. they have shown me that they are fine and together again and happy.. and although I miss both of them sooo much I know they are OK..

I keep their pictures on my fridge.. I still see them everyday.. often..

I believe your Beta will do the same ... when she comes to you in your dreams she will be so happy to see you and let you know everything is OK

Lani

Maciek,

It takes quite alot to get me going emotionally, and reading this did it. I've lost 2 dogs in my life, and it is definately not easy. Dogs cannot be replaced, but they can be remembered, and I hope you enjoy those memories.

Here is my beloved golden retriever, Digger, 2yrs old now

DSCN0282.jpg

DSCN0283.jpg

So sorry to hear of your loss. I never had a pet until my wife and I got Mollie (Welsh Pembroke Corgi) a couple of years ago (see avatar), now I can't imagine life around the house without her. Mollie is prone to seizures and I often worry if a day would ever come when she would not recover from a spell. We recently added Sookie to the family (Shiloh Shepard), and even though we are trying to get through her puppy stages, she is a real goof ball and fits in real good with the rest of us. Here is quick pic of "The Goon Squad":

SookiewithMollie9weeks.jpg

Stay strong, your beloved is in a better place.

Take care

@lani - I like to think of myself as a tough guy but your story seriously almost brought me to tears. Good to see so many pet lovers.

Beta's love was unconditional... like all the creatures other than us humans... we're all tough when it comes to physical events.. but the love of your dog... alot of times,.. I'd rather be with them than humans.... spell ... DOG... backwards ... and that's... GOD (love)... that goes straight to the heart of us tough guy's..