When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Has IWC 'out exclusivized' Rolex?

Slartibartfast

I was in Rouen (northen France) this weekend. Just by 'the clock' is a jeweler, who stocks all sorts of top brands....Rolex, Tudor, IWC, Brietling etc. I was window shopping with Mrs Slartibartfast and drooling over the IWC Pilot Chrono (my next planned big rep purchase), when I noticed that every watch in the window had a price tag EXCEPT the IWC stand. Clearly, you will know if you can afford a Rolex from this dealer. But you will have to ask the price of the IWC. And if you have to ask, sir, you cannot afford it!

Kudos IWC! I love it. :thumbs:

I was in Rouen (northen France) this weekend. Just by 'the clock' is a jeweler, who stocks all sorts of top brands....Rolex, Tudor, IWC, Brietling etc. I was window shopping with Mrs Slartibartfast and drooling over the IWC Pilot Chrono (my next planned big rep purchase), when I noticed that every watch in the window had a price tag EXCEPT the IWC stand. Clearly, you will know if you can afford a Rolex from this dealer. But you will have to ask the price of the IWC. And if you have to ask, sir, you cannot afford it!

Kudos IWC! I love it. :thumbs:

Many of the IWCs are cheaper than the Rollies...that's weird. Many of the limited edition special movement ones are pricey...but no more so than the solid gold rollies...

Indeed. Most IWC watches are more expensive than lets say a SS Submariner. Just take for example: IWC Ingenieur, list price: 8150 CHF, Rolex Submariner SS: ~7000CHF.

I'm thinking things like the Slevin (~$4500 CDN), even the limited Cousteau's, 3717 series in most flavours (~$4600 - $5400 CDN) in Canada are a lot less than a SS Sub. The Big Pilot or specialty ones obviously can't be compared as Rollie doesn't make any tourby's or perpetual calendars or anything like that.

Mark XVI and a SS DJ are about the same...Ingy's (~$6500 US) and Yachtmaster (~$7850 USD) are about the same (platinum bezel aside of course)...

With IWC though, you get more watch...interesting complications for the higher priced pieces...with Rolex, you just get more bling with little movement innovation.

hmm i've always thought IWC is an expensive brand.. as for the pricing.. i'm not sure in other countries but in australia the price for a 3717 classic pilot watch is $7850 AUD and in the same AD they sell their rolex submariner for $6500.. so i'm guessing they're at a very similar price.. but i'm not sure..

slevin is about the same price as the 3717 where as the cousteau's are a lil bit more expensive.. YM is priced at 10,500 in aus dollars too.. so yeh both IWC and rolex are about level on their pricing level imo.. like BMW vs MERC

The Luxury Institute's 2007 Luxury Brand Status Index found that when its wealthy consumers chose a watch brand in the United States they pick IWC (International Watch Co.) Closely following IWC were Vacheron Constantin (No.2,) and Patek Philippe (No.3.) The Luxury Institute quantified wealthy consumers for the survey as those earning a minimum of $200,000 and a minimum household net worth of $5 million.
Edited by arminvanbuuren

I love my BP its a eye catcher for sure and as a brand IWC outclass rolex for the younger people i think as the question of fake almost never comes and its desiign of specialy the bp, aquatimer is very trendy and rafined.

Cheers

I think Rolex's popularity has become its downfall, I for one will never ever wear a rollie. not even a gen. Not even a gen studded with diamonds that can cook and clean and is good in bed.

WHY?

i dont wanna have to answer to the infamous questions such as "is it real?" or "naaaah, it looks like a fake" or "you damn foo, it looks just like mine and I paid only $xx for mine".

IWC, yes. yes..yes...

I love the understated look of the 3717, love it...

(sorry, 2 red bulls this morning)

Edited by dakku

I have always thought of Rolex as being a high end watch, but have thought as IWC as being the next stepping stone up the league of watches. Perhapos this is because they are rarer. For me Rolex has become a somewhat cliche, if you have money you buy a Rolex without much thoughts as to what you are buying (I know this is a massive generalisation and I am sure many do give mor thought process to it. But I see buying something like an IWC as something different, going against the grain and buying something a little more understated, but much more appreciated by people who know what they are.

Indeed. Most IWC watches are more expensive than lets say a SS Submariner. Just take for example: IWC Ingenieur, list price: 8150 CHF, Rolex Submariner SS: ~7000CHF.

Actually, for a more "apples to apples" comparison you should compare the Ingenieur price against that of the Milguass, as that is the watch which it was originally created to compete against...

I think Rolex's popularity has become its downfall, I for one will never ever wear a rollie. not even a gen. Not even a gen studded with diamonds that can cook and clean and is good in bed.

i dont know if it was good in bed i may consider

But I see buying something like an IWC as something different, going against the grain and buying something a little more understated, but much more appreciated by people who know what they are.

Exactly!

The Luxury Institute saying that the top luxury brand in the US for watches as being IWC is funny though...as IWC is the American branded Swiss watch company...so I'm sure there's some degree of national pride involved in the selection.

I believe that the Luxury Institute is who I saw cited in Forbes.

I believe that the Luxury Institute is who I saw cited in Forbes.

I believe your right. IWC came out on top, and maybe rightly so. But as noted in watch forums at the time, they left out such manufactures as.

Audemars

Vacheron

Patek & more.

They did include brands such as Gucci, Tissot & others that can be debated as luxury or best manufactures.

Such is the world of Forbes Inc.

I believe your right. IWC came out on top, and maybe rightly so. But as noted in watch forums at the time, they left out such manufactures as.

Audemars

Vacheron

Patek & more.

They did include brands such as Gucci, Tissot & others that can be debated as luxury or best manufactures.

Such is the world of Forbes Inc.

actually if u notice the rank patek actually came 2nd.. so im guessing they are included.. and in the article it said that brands including rolex, tag heuer, breitlings, etc were included.. and yeah iwc came out on top