When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Pugwash's Corum Admiral's Cup Competition review

Pugwash

Now, I'll be very honest here. I've no idea what these things are, I just got this as a fixer-upper. It's impressive though, and here's my review. Please note, the day and date wheel on the version pictured are genuine ETA parts, installed when I repaired the watch.

Corum-review-0.jpg

The Corum Admiral's Cup Competition is a big watch. It's a 48mm behemoth that wears easier than its size suggests it should, mostly due to the titanium case construction and decent rubber strap. As I don't know much about this watch, you're going to have to just put up with some photos. Hopefully a real expert can examine the details and tell us how accurate it is.

Corum-review-1.jpg

In 2006, Corum released this watch and priced it at $6,200, but it can be found for a couple of thousand cheaper than that. The replica was made from a genuine version and as such it's exceedingly accurate. It feels like a decent and solid watch.

Corum-review-2.jpg

The crown is steel, nuzzled in solid plastic crown guards.

Corum-review-3.jpg

The caseback looks like the genuine. It's made of titanium with what appears to be a different metal insert in the middle. Behind this caseback lies an Asian 7750, running at 28k8 with the chrono features removed.

Corum-review-4.jpg

The strap is decent, dust-free and flexible. It takes 24mm straps, so Panerai wearers can use the straps from their 44mm watches.

Corum-review-5.jpg

The keeper is kept in place on the strap, which is nice.

Corum-review-6.jpg

The buckle is also a solid piece of titanium. No painful bits on it, either.

Corum-review-7.jpg

Slightly domed AR-coated sapphire and amazing sharp clean case edges.

Corum-review-8.jpg

Serial numbers on the caseback.

Corum-review-9.jpg

It wears about the same as a Fiddy, only easier. You can see it's got regular replica anti-reflective coating, which isn't as good as the after-market stuff our guys offer.

Corum-review-10.jpg

The buckle is excellent. Comfy and solid.

Corum-review-11.jpg

Look at the size of that mofo. It positively dwarfs the Sub on the right.

Corum-review-12.jpg

It looks well at home between a 187 and a 1950.

Corum-review-13.jpg

The colours on the flags don't look as bright as photos I've seen on T'Internet, but that's no real indication. The lume is better than the usual rep fare, and all the numbers are painted.

The story behind this watch is a fun one. Precious Time offered it up as a broken watch on RepGeeks and I snapped it up thinking I could fix it and sell it for a small profit. It turned out to be a bit more work than I anticipated.

Corum-0.jpg

Opening it up, I saw a cog fall out.

Corum-1.jpg

Oops, that doesn't look good.

Corum-2.jpg

The date change mechanism is a write-off.

Corum-3.jpg

These were the broken bits I replaced.

Corum-4.jpg

As mentioned above, you can put 24mm Panerai straps on it.

There has been no photoshop on these pictures, they've been cleaned in iPhoto for levels, cropping and stuff.

nice review with nice photos of one of my favorite reps...the quality of this one is really impressive IMO...I love the look and how the watch wears...I think it is more like a 44mm PAM...I'll repeat again, those who like big and sporty watches should definitely have this rep in the collection...

While I remember, if anyone wants to see how it compares to anything, ask soon as it's getting packed up and sent to its new owner on Monday.

Could you make a comparison shot with the GST chronograph Ti, I just reviewed? I think it appears larger than 40mm but how will it look next to a really large Ti watch? Enlighten us. :D

Could you make a comparison shot with the GST chronograph Ti, I just reviewed? I think it appears larger than 40mm but how will it look next to a really large Ti watch? Enlighten us. :D

Sorry about the quality. I didn't have time to set it up properly.

compare-1.jpg

compare-2.jpg

... and just because it was next to a Monster, here's a lume shot.

compare-3.jpg

A chunky watch and rep ! It really looks different and the caseback is just so sexy !

I've seen this one with an aftermarket AR, and it really changes the thing.

For those with a small wrist, there is a Chrono version with a "smaller" 44 mm diameter.

Thx for sharing.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Indeed this is a very good rep and is a well made one. The only flaw apart from the day date font and the lume is the rehaut depth. If you compare it side by side with the genuine article, the rehaut depth on the gen looks to be shallower. Similar effect when comparing rep Breitling Avenger Seawolf Ti with the gen article :)

Meanwhile, wear it in good health Pugwash. This is rep lume vs C1 on hands comparison:

DSCN8472.jpg

0199995e.jpg

Great pictorial By-Tor; as always.

I bought this watch as my first purchase from Andrew. I have had this one up beside a gen several times; to my newbie eyes even with loupes I can find no differences other than the DW.

It wears very well and more comfortably than many of my smaller watches. The AR on mine appears excellent. The power reserve is excellent. My only complaint is that the crown is wobly and setting the minute hand exactly takes a couple tries. Definately one of my favourites -daily beater type.

JW