When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Whats with the shiny screens on PC's and TV's?

llsteve80

I see quite a few of you have some tech jobs on this board, maybe one of you can explain this to me.

All of the new TVs, plasma and LCD, and new monitiors for both laptops and desktops have that shiny screen on them. Why? It is very annoying.

Is it just some kind of trend or is it useful? I hate it. I watch TV on my plasma and I see myself watching it on the dark scenes. WTF. I can't stand it. I want to put AR on my freaking TV. Chieftang, whats that going to cost? Its 54" so maybe the same as 500 crystals?

Luckily I bought my monitor right before this craze started.

Can someone explain this to me so I can see what I'm missing here?

Has to do with colour fidelity and contrast ratio. On the "shiny" screens, the colours seem to appear brighter and more true to life. Just go to Best buy and look at 2 laptops (one with glossy screen, one with matte screen) and you'll see what I mean. The colours will appear more vivid on the gloss screen.

So it's kind of a gimmick? It just appears that way it must be. I did notice a difference between them but couldn't put my finger on it. Maybe I assumed the shiny ones were just higher end. I'm going to keep calling them shiny too. It's like 1 step away from a mirror sometimes.

Side note, I am picky about unwanted reflections. I threw out my glasses because I could (barely) see a reflection of my eye on the inside of the lens. It drove me nuts. Big eyeball staring at me all day. I now walk around squinting when necessary and am perfectly content.

I just got a Dell M6300 and it has a shiny screen... and yes, it's annoying, but it also seems much brighter than my matte screened M70.

The one thing I like about the shiny screens is that they're MUCH easier to clean ^^

Thanks for all the info.

I didn`t know that any shiny screens were available, now I know that they exist and why it is so.

Just shows there is more to learn here than just watches.

As I am always buying computers, I've also noticed that is now difficult to find a non-glossy screen. I too am pretty unhappy about this and I now just purchase a computer tower alone...no new GLOSSY screen monitor package. I don't care what they call it or think it does to enhance my view, I'll keep my old 20" flat screen MATT monitor. Works like a charm and I like it much better.

My main computer is my Macbook Pro 17" which has a flat screen, then my little road sidekick Macbook Air has a glossy screen. Not sure which i like more, the shiny screen makes the colors just POP which is great, but there are the issues with reflections. :victory:

What I don't like is that we have no choice : ok if some of us like it. But what about the others ? I like to decide what I buy, and this is impossible today.

We have 2 laptops at home, one shiny and the other matt. Honestly, blacks are deeper on the shiny screen... But for the rest, I hate seeing me in the screen when working (who said I'm ugly ?!) :crazy:

And it's just impossible to work outside (garden, airport etc...)

You can always try one of these:

hxxp://buyviewguard.com/anti-glare-screen-protectors/index.php?id=VG-32205.

Don't know what that would do for color and contrast levels though. No real good option for TV's though, other than to watch in a dark room.

The glossy screens give a much better picture. There is no true black on a matte screen. Just compare a photo with a lot of dark on both types and you will see the difference. The problem with glossy screens is the glare. They need optimal lighting. That said, I love my glossy screen at my desktop and for TV where I have control of the lighting situation. It does not have to be mignight, just make sure that you do not have reflections of lights or windows. For a laptop I prefer a matte screen. First of all, the screen is small and I don't care about the perfect image, and then I am using its screen when travelling, and there is almost ever bad lighting.

i hate glossy screens.. way to many reflections... and forget using your laptop sittting outside on a patio. My 22" dell monitor is a matt screen and my new Laptop is a super glossy mirror screen and i really dont like it.

You can always try one of these:

hxxp://buyviewguard.com/anti-glare-screen-protectors/index.php?id=VG-32205.

Don't know what that would do for color and contrast levels though. No real good option for TV's though, other than to watch in a dark room.

Anyone tried this?!

I got HUGE problem with reflections in my new laptop, try downloading loggingdata in the pits in Barcelona with this [censored], absolutely hopeless, can't see anything at all... :(

• 3 weeks later...
Side note, I am picky about unwanted reflections. I threw out my glasses because I could (barely) see a reflection of my eye on the inside of the lens. It drove me nuts. Big eyeball staring at me all day. I now walk around squinting when necessary and am perfectly content.

Have you tried contacts or laser eye surgery?