When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

I'd kill for a 42mm UPO

whitestripes

Anybody have any idea how much a UPO would be worth with link gap fixed, correct dial, and complete gen bezel? I'm just curious as I have a 42mm but I'm on the fence about spending the money on a gen bezel. And yes, I know the gen bezel does not just drop on, I like challenging problems....

Anybody have any idea how much a UPO would be worth with link gap fixed, correct dial, and complete gen bezel? I'm just curious as I have a 42mm but I'm on the fence about spending the money on a gen bezel. And yes, I know the gen bezel does not just drop on, I like challenging problems....

um, the gen bezel is never going to go on without re-machining the whole case or the bezel, or both. if that's even possible. the mechanism is different as is the way it fixes to the case.

a gen insert will fit. but a lot of $$ to buy a whole bezel (i think $180US plus at frei) just for the insert ;)

My dream:

A 42mm PO with ETA 2824 with a good bracelet, superlumed by The Zigmeister. Pair that with my gen Speedy Pro (I had to get it, the rep subdial spacing is a quick giveaway, and there are many speedy owners out there) and I'd be happy. Actually, I also NEED a IWC Mark XVI (are we ever happy?)

About the bezel insert, is the chief complaint only about the pearl? Can The Zigmeister fix a pearl? I'm not keen on the cost of an entire bezel assembly.

I could never understand why the decsion was made to take a elegantly understated, rugged, amazing watch and then make a super-rep of the hub cap sized version. That 45" rep is the like the hot-chick in school that you couldn't take your eyes off but could never hope to date. I have an 7 3/4" wrist, which is by no means slender, and 45mm just looks silly. I'm not sure whether to take up weightlifting (with an emphasis on the forearms) or give up in dismay. If only we could get Daniel Craig to wear a 42mm PO in the upcoming bond...

I traded mine as well. Initially I liked the watch, because it was such a great replication. Eventually the huge size just started to look silly. It has nothing to do with wrist size, the watch is just too big and unbalanced (imho). But then again it looks much better on a rubber strap (at least in the pictures).

Yeah... I'd buy a 42mm super-rep in a heartbeat. Great size, great watch.

It has nothing to do with wrist size, the watch is just too big and unbalanced (imho).

I've been looking for a 42 gen on the used forums,,,pretty rare,, seems like people agree with you and most seem to prefer the 42. Just a matter of time and the rep will come out.

I'm in for a 42mm UPO as well. I've gone to the AD and tried on a 45mm version but even though I could get away with it, as By-Tor sais it's just too big and unwieldy. I'm just not into the whole oversized watch trend. I can't imagine they won't come up with a UPO 42mm version, after all it's not a super complicated rep. They've got most of it, just a few fixed here and there and they're done. Sign me up!

Just got back from the AD,,,spent an hour there,,,actually the salesperson was very cool, an actual watchmaker. The guy had some great watch stories. anyway,,,tried on the 45 and the 42,,,no competition. The 42 is way more balanced, wears better and looks better. In fact the bezel is even more like the vintage 300. I'm still looking for the gen but at least I have no worries about the size now.

A few shots of mine. I agree that the 45 version doesn't have quite the panache of the 42. It isn't the size...hard to explain...it's just really a different watch in every way. Try them on at your dealer and you will see. If I were to get the 45, it would most certainly have to be on rubber. I have a pretty robust gen collection with some pretty pricy pieces and I always say that this is by FAR my favorite steel braceleted sport watch in my collection and it is also probably close to being the least expensive in that category. Can't say enough about it. Love it. Love it. Love it.

PO1.jpg

PO4.jpg

PO6.jpg

PO3.jpg

PO11.jpg

PO10.jpg

PO18.jpg

Edited by RobbieG

Anyone have a line on gen bezels for under $224? I want to get the bezel, but at that price it bumps the watch over what I consider practical in a rep vs gen ratio. Or if anyone has pulled a bezel out of a 42mm and wants to sell just the bezel, please contact me.