When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Message From My Jeweler's Rolex Sales Rep

crystalcranium

I posted several weeks ago about my $120 Submariner from Paul fooling our jeweler's Rolex USA contact person when we all met at a restaurant. "Nice watch!" he said. When he was enlightened that it was a fake, I heard him lean over and whisper to Rachel, "That watch is a fake? My God!" It was as great a chest puffing experience as a replica owner can imagine. This weekend, we were in the jewelrey store when Rachel said to me, "I have a note from my Rolex guy for you" I thought it would be a tongue and cheek scolding of me for copyright infringement. The note said "Doc, PLEASE get with the program! Fales fund TERRORISM. Yes its TRUE"

I think this is probably the company line about the counterfeit business to discourage it with any and all means at their disposal but, of course, I have my little nagging doubts. Anyone hear of this and is it a rumor, a fact, a ruse, a scare tactic ect... :(

This rumour has been around for a while.

I don't buy into it.

Illegal activities like cash businesses.. girls, blackmail, drugs, gambling.

When you use Paypal, credit card or inter-bank transfer, you leave a paper trail. That's no good to a terrorist.

Western Union is not traceable... but do you really think that that the relatively small amount of money that you paid for your latest rep would be of the slightest interest to a terrorist fund-raiser?

In comparison, say, to the street value of the opium currently being exported from Afganistan?

No - this is just hype from the vested interests. Scare tactics. They must be really desperate.

Its just a marketing trick comparable to almost any other commercial...

Buy our toothpaste and you will have wonderful shiny teeth and all the girls will like you and want to kiss you (some happy slick dude with an excellent pair of choppers flashes the screen, with some gorgeous babe hanging around his neck)... Don't buy our product and your breath will stink and nobody will want to be your around you...

Buy a genuine Ralex and everyone will admire you.. Buy replica's and you are a support terror... After 9/11 what is more fearful and revolting then to be supporter of terror ... It's the same marketing trick, as in the first example... The are just trying to condition you to associate major terror, pain and other revolting emotions to buying reps and major pleasure in to buy there massively overpriced product.

This has worked for years and it will work for many years to come... But don't fall in to this trap... Its just excellent marketing

There are terrorists selling replicas for money laundering, but we are buying directly from chinese suppliers here. I have read a lot of chinese articles and I have a pretty good idea where are these watches made and distributed. The government should worry more about trade deficit over funding terrorism. :)

There is no mule system for trafficking our replicas. You get it directly from a dealer who ships it using the good old postal system. You buy a watch from far-east dealers who are one distributor, usually chinese, away from chinese counterfeiters. Every step of the chain is chinese, or thai, or taiwanese. At what point is China involved with terrorism against the US?

If you really want to stop funding Terrorism, use less gas.

This rumour has been around for a while.

I don't buy into it.

Illegal activities like cash businesses.. girls, blackmail, drugs, gambling.

When you use Paypal, credit card or inter-bank transfer, you leave a paper trail. That's no good to a terrorist.

Western Union is not traceable... but do you really think that that the relatively small amount of money that you paid for your latest rep would be of the slightest interest to a terrorist fund-raiser?

In comparison, say, to the street value of the opium currently being exported from Afganistan?

No - this is just hype from the vested interests. Scare tactics. They must be really desperate.

It did sound like scare tactics to me too but getting some reassurance is helping me justify that Bentley GT from Josh I'm ordering Friday! :Jumpy:

It's the same with Piracy didn't you know, made me grin though when the cinema's had the posters up with the Piracy funds Terrorism slogans ;) I can see Rolex's PR companies working this one up soon as well into an ad

Edited by exper

STOP THE PRESSES!

Message direct from the W(Sh)hite House:

Not paying your TV licence funds terrorism.

Avoiding tax funds terrorism.

Paying your builder or plumber cash-in-hand funds terrorism.

Please pay 100% tax and we will stop this terror!

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :thumbdown:

STOP THE PRESSES!

Message direct from the W(Sh)hite House:

Not paying your TV licence funds terrorism.

Avoiding tax funds terrorism.

Paying your builder or plumber cash-in-hand funds terrorism.

Please pay 100% tax and we will stop this terror!

Peeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee... :thumbdown:

Methinks this pretty much sums it up, it a slogan devised just to keep the rep trade in check.

Americans would do better asking themselves how many legitimate purchases they make everday actually funds the Mafia, they would be closer to the mark.

Ken

It's the usual government scare-mongering. Which powerful government doesn't want more power? Especially over their own people (Patriot Act)?

Watch the movie V For Vendetta, and observe in this story how the government releases biological weapons upon it's own people, blames terrorists to achieve their own ends, which also results in a strong Christian state with a virtual dictatorship, a true Big Brother government - the government itself terrorising and controlling their population through fear. Very much like George Orwell's 1984. Sometimes I wonder if he was prescient in writing that famous tale.

Is this too far removed from reality ? Could this really happen in future? In our lifetimes?

Remember,

Power Corrupts, Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely .

edit: valiantly vanquished errors of my vainfully vicarious verbose verbiage ad verbatim.

Edited by Chronus

Maybe buying reps does fund terrorism, but as many people point out just about everything does, and more directly.

The largest donor to al-qaeda? The Saudi Arabian monarchy. The largest investor in the American stock market? The Saudi Arabian monarchy. They are also the largest minority shareholder in Citibank, which I believe is the first or second largest financial consortium in the world. So you have a credit card, bank account or loan from Citibank? You're funding terrorism! Let's not forget where our gasoline comes from, not just Saudi Arabia but more overt supporters of terrorism like Syria and Iran. Buy gas? You're funding terrorism!

Somewhat ironically, if it wasn't for Swiss banks it would be a lot harder for terrorists to get and keep their money, not to mention the Kim Jong Ils and Robert Mugabes of the world. So I don't think the Swiss should really be pointing fingers at anyone, their famed neutrality isn't doing democracy or world security any favors.

Stop eating McDonalds and buying genuine Rolexes, you are funding Terrorism of the Rich Kind.

Terrorism today = Arming an army with extravagant supplies and dropping bombs over the less unfortunate countries + most importantly, conquer the natural resource that is in prime demand today.

Terrorism...sheesh.....look at all the blood spilled over oil. Then you'll start to rethink who the hell are the true terrorists.