When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Look what I found.....in my UPO

jeroen1985

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like you have a really nice, high quality chinese copy of a 2824-2, which has damascening to approximate the treatment of a real Omega Caliber 1120, which is a derivative of the 2892, which is kind of considered the 2824's older brother.

Again, Nice movement.

However, I'd wait for a response from The Zigmeister before I considered this opinion of mine authoritative.

Send it back (again). It isn't what you paid for (ETA) and the resale value of your watch just halved. When he used to sell this watch with an asian movement it sold for $128. Ask him to refund the difference.

Edited by andreww

Dealers are justifying charging close to $300 for non chrono eta watches by blaming the current shortage and rising eta prices. You have paid a premium for something you didn't get.

I would also be interested in his response to this. It is quite likely that he had no idea what was inside the watch, after all, he doesn't individually inspect every watch does he?

One thing to always watch with replacement from the the big dealers...

In my experience they are usually either repaired watches, older versions(before dial changes etc) or lesser versions (mineral instead of sapphire, asian instead of swiss).

This has happened to me many times.

Just goes to prove what I've been saying. These "trusted" dealers are getting comfortable with their popularity. DSN and Josh have been praised on the boards so I chose them when buying my first reps here. After reading all their praises, I was confident I would get quality watches. Here's what I got.......

Bought 5 Pre-Vs from DSN, of which only 1 was usable. Problems ranged from having non-Pre-V style cases, stuck levers, ARC, loose movements, stripped screws, and more. Here's one I couldn't open the lever and has a loose movement (note the gap between the crystal and dial) it also has the single screw Vendome case with small crown guard. BTW, the use of tubes is impossible because the screws are too thick.

4-1.jpg

Here's a vintage GMT from Josh. The date wheel is not centered and the markers are too shiny.

VGMT2.jpg

Just goes to prove what I've been saying. These "trusted" dealers are getting comfortable with their popularity. DSN and Josh have been praised on the boards so I chose them when buying my first reps here. After reading all their praises, I was confident I would get quality watches. Here's what I got.......

Looking back over the years,,,the majority of reps I've had from the various dealers here were totally unacceptable for the money I spent. The money I spent on reps was by far the biggest personal waste of money ever. And I NEVER seem to learn,,,,after all of this I just spent around 400 on another rep! only to have the bracelet break within an hour of it on the wrist. It literally went flying across the table at lunch. :huh:

I guess I just like this forum, the people here are very interesting and it's a very good forum even if reps are IMO,,,,a big waste of money (sorry).

if we DONT make the dealers aware tht we are checking and telling them its NOT ok to get away with it , then it will continue to happen and become common place. So i agree ask for an adjustment in price since it truly isnt what you asked for. its like paying the premium for a genuine rolex and getting, well an extremely well made replica : )

shouldnt happen

if we DONT make the dealers aware tht we are checking and telling them its NOT ok to get away with it , then it will continue to happen and become common place. So i agree ask for an adjustment in price since it truly isnt what you asked for. its like paying the premium for a genuine rolex and getting, well an extremely well made replica : )

shouldnt happen

Agree..and I will wait for the answer from the dealer

I won't be very fast to jump into conclusion to blame the dealer. I don't think it's very practical for any dealers to open every single caseback before shipping. Either they themselves are conned by the factory without having knowledge that it comes with non ETA movement or, less likely, are purposely conning you.

Let's see what the dealer reply is and should give him some time to make it right.

PS: I will pick this movement over rusty/old real ETA movement :p but hey that's just me.

I hope the dealer will offer a price adjustment to all of those that didn't open the case back up???

I don't trust dealer anymore, even them with good reputation... they commit to much error...specially drop shipper.

All of you who never open your watch, you can be victim of scaming, from the factory and/or dealer. For me, it's the same, cuz the dealer need to do his homework and need to be sure of what he sell, and I'll blame the dealer for these kind of error, always. So dealer, don't try to drop the fault on factory.

Sorry I needed to vent :bb: ... this kind of error happen too much.

What did you pay for it? If the watch cost $300 or more, then I would be very upset, if it were me. I would email the dealer straight away! :o

However, if you paid $200 or less, then I say if the watch has a good dial, clean hands and is generally free from defects etc.... Keep it and be happy, I bet it will keep perfect time ^_^

Either way you should really contact the dealer and let him know you are unhappy about it....

EDIT: Soon this type of movement will be all we can get..... Bye, bye ETA, but will it mean bye, bye to the higher ETA prices? I bet this type ETA of clone movement, will still carry the same price premium.... At least they will if the dealers/factories think they can get away with selling them as Asian ETA :rolleyes:

I won't be very fast to jump into conclusion to blame the dealer. I don't think it's very practical for any dealers to open every single caseback before shipping. Either they themselves are conned by the factory without having knowledge that it comes with non ETA movement or, less likely, are purposely conning you.

Let's see what the dealer reply is and should give him some time to make it right.

They know - there are almost no real ETAs left, almost all asian copies - still don't know what the justification for the new pricing is, i think its out of control.

one of the easy ways to tell is if the backshot of the watch on the website doesn't show the movement, but just a caseback - if you notice josh's template, he'll show the movement - when he doesn't - those watches usually become the subject of these types of threads.

I have said since the start of these discussions that there is NO EXCUSE for selling asian copies as ETA. - if it only happened once and a while you could call it a mistake or a factory problem - but, even Silix, who promised to pay a purse of $1000 to anyone if they received an asian movt instead of an ETA.

i remember someone coming forward, and i don't remember hearing about the payout