When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Correct Hand Stack GMTIIc back instock!

rckh

May the good lord have mercy on my vintage soul.

Me too brother, me too :lol:

Interestingly I first 'fell' for this model way back last October, when after trying on a 1665 and 1655 at a well-known vintage dealers, he gave a wry smile and asked had I seen 'it' yet. I kind of snorted as my purist love of the 1675 knew no limits. "Wait" he said, "I know what you mean, but just see.....". Out it came, and like him, I was sold. This watch will turn even the most ardent vintage nut 'gay for modern Rolex'.

Mine is here any day now.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like this watch is sold out again on both Andrew's and Josh's site. We'll see if there is a miraculous 4th batch of watches that appear.

I subscribe to the conspiracy theory, that this is a marketing ploy to inflate interest and drive up the prices.

.......... Ummmm, I think its working.

Just some observations and info to share on the new GMT

1. I have been using a direct source for my watches for some time now. He is in Guangzhou and has always come through. The "inside story" he has given me is that the dealers who are making claims of "sold out" or "50 watches only' or "100 watches only" should be "suspect," as he personally knows the manufacturer of this watch and the maker typically makes runs of 500 watches...

2. The next run of watches will be released in 2 - 3 weeks.

3. He is trying to confirm the modification for the GMT function on the next run, but said it is a "wait and see" situation...

4. I have only read one post where an owner of this watch said he had a problem with the movement and this problem corrected itself. Additionally, the owner admitted he may have caused the problem from his lack of understanding on how to properly set the GMT time.

5. It is way to soon to put any faith into people who are repeating that this movement is "problematic" - especially when most of the posts of this nature seem to be from people who do not own the watch and are only speculating...

My past experience tells me to "wait and see"- I really enjoy reading the posts from people who actually own the watch and my guess is that this watch is going to turn out to be one of the better ones....

Edited by jake48

sometimes reps improve with each 'generation', sometimes they get the most things correct in the first version. EL's original iwc pilot's watch (3717) is a perfect example (i managed to get one from his initial run as well :)); i just have this feeling that for this watch, it could be the same story.

Exactly my thoughts & why I pulled the trigger on a rep (the 1st in more than a year) of a watch model that I am not even that revved about. Go figure. :brow:

This might sound weird, but I have been hog-tied to big watches for quite a while now and I can remember vividly the days, when I thought that my 53mm U-Boat was "just right". Kind of like thinking back on the leisure suits I used to wear in the 70s' ( Yea I'm an old fart, but boogie -on).

I think the era of the big power watch is coming to an end. As most of us know, these things tend to go in cycles & when the economy slows down, jewelry, especially watches, tend to shrink back down under our (buttoned) shirt cuffs (where they belong anyway). Although 'big' then did not mean what it does now, the big power watches of the 80s slid as the 80s came to a close only to grow even bigger following the dot com boom of the late 90s. And I keep reading (& seeing threads on TZ) about the end of the big watch fad being upon us. In fact, I recently picked up some men's magazine in an airport that opined something to the effect that big watches are now looked at with disdain, similar to the big shouldered 'power suit' of the 80s. Who knows, but I think there is a reason why Rolex has been the king of the hill for nearly 100 years & they did it on their own terms.

May the good lord have mercy on my vintage soul.

Interestingly I first 'fell' for this model way back last October, when after trying on a 1665 and 1655 at a well-known vintage dealers, he gave a wry smile and asked had I seen 'it' yet. I kind of snorted as my purist love of the 1675 knew no limits. "Wait" he said, "I know what you mean, but just see.....". Out it came, and like him, I was sold. This watch will turn even the most ardent vintage nut 'gay for modern Rolex'.

Mine is here any day now.

:lol: too funny DBR. looks like we're all in the same boat on this one. let's just hope nanuq and eunomians aren't reading this thread :mellow:

btw, welcome back; you have PM ;)

deltatahoe

I just hope we are not all being snookered......... :bicycle:

definitely some interesting observations in there -- i think you both have it right -- there is just something about the replication of this watch that is pulling in folks who have had plenty of rolex reps to know the look and feel of a quality watch.

it will definitely be interesting to see how the first-version "correct hand stack" story will play out. as someone else mentioned before, sometimes reps improve with each 'generation', sometimes they get the most things correct in the first version. EL's original iwc pilot's watch (3717) is a perfect example (i managed to get one from his initial run as well :) ); i just have this feeling that for this watch, it could be the same story.

deltatahoe

Well I am of the same mindset and although, like Freddy, I am not a Modern Rolex guy, I couldn't stop the finger from pulling the trigger on this oner. Mine shipped and is in transit. I too, hope we are not all smoking something on this one ^_^

I think the era of the big power watch is coming to an end. As most of us know, these things tend to go in cycles & when the economy slows down, jewelry, especially watches, tend to shrink back down under our (buttoned) shirt cuffs (where they belong anyway). Although 'big' then did not mean what it does now, the big power watches of the 80s slid as the 80s came to a close only to grow even bigger following the dot com boom of the late 90s. And I keep reading (& seeing threads on TZ) about the end of the big watch fad being upon us. In fact, I recently picked up some men's magazine in an airport that opined something to the effect that big watches are now looked at with disdain, similar to the big shouldered 'power suit' of the 80s. Who knows, but I think there is a reason why Rolex has been the king of the hill for nearly 100 years & they did it on their own terms.

Freddy very interesting insight.

I think this is going to be a winner for all concerned. With Allergydoc, Lanakai and dTann on RG, reviews (ncluding some head to head photos of the Gen and Rep) all reporting very positive results and seeing what I can see with regards to the photos. This is going to be a rep that I will be able to easily overlook the small stuff and enjoy the wrist time. Granted the movement reliability is still out there, but hopefully most of us will not have to cross that bridge. I am just going to stay tucked away in a mist of optimism.

Rogerwine

Freddy, you might be right about the end of the big watch 'era', but if this is so - than why do they keep getting bigger? Breitling's are very 'in' now, especially with the younger crowd and they just released there 49mm Bentley and chrono-matic. Although I think anything that big is plain silly looking, its a sharp watch (design wise). Look at the stir the big bang has created, literally has turned the watch world upside down from what it was 10 years ago. I used to wear my small'ish watches and was very content with it for awhile. At one time I remember my rep BCE looking huge on my wrist, and than I purchased a gen skyland (45mm) and just recently purchased a gen BCE and it looks small to me now. I find after wearing these big watches for a little while now, that I cant go back to my smaller watches. I think big is still very in right now, especially with the ladies. Panerai and breitling being great examples of this. If this wasn't the case, rolex would have kept the GMT II in it's old, smaller case.But instead they up'd the size to keep up with the current trends. Either way, this is a stunning rep and I cant wait to see your pictures when it arrives!

UB7 - The watches just coming to market today began as designs 2-5 years ago (it generally takes Rolex about 5 years from initial design to market release), which is why the watch companies may be in for tough times ahead, regardless of what the general world economic conditions may be. A couple of the more knowledgeable Rolex mavens on TZ have been making predictions of dire times for many watch companies because of the fickle habits of the watch buying public. In the past, Rolex has been mostly insulated from downturns in sales caused by fashion trends because, until recently, they always tended to buck the trends sticking to their more conservative designs. But with their recent jump into the bigger watch arena, they may get stuck with alot of Deep Seas that they cannot move.

If Rolex sets industry standards...

dsc0019jp9.jpg

dsc0007dm3.jpg

POTR Posted Today, 04:30 PM

The machine learned long ago how to ensure that every piece it produces is sold (by whatever means) and that the actual production is always perceived as lower than the demand.

The AD that I visited had 2 116710 left in stock from a large beginning stock... how they estimate the sales as POTR mentions is amazing..

Fashion .. trends ..history repeats in cycles...IMO

dsc0019jp9.jpg

The more I look at this picture, the more I think that if you heated/removed/AR'd the underside of the cyclops & threw a gen crown/tube on there..........I will be damned if I would be able to tell it apart from the gen (assuming the rest of the datewheel looks as good as the '1'). :blink:

And I am starting to think that that is the reason so many of us have been mesmerized by what is otherwise a rather unassuming (and, for me, uninspiring) watch. These things just look so much like the gen that I cannot stand it. :wacko:

F#$%#$k'n RWG! You guys are starting to p@#ss me off! I am not even a Rollie guy, and now I just broke down and bought a MBW sub, cant stop thinking about building a great vintage model, and now got my interest up about this one. Jeez... I gotta stay away and go back to work for a while! ;)

The more I look at this picture, the more I think that if you heated/removed/AR'd the underside of the cyclops & threw a gen crown/tube on there..........damned if I could tell it apart from the gen (assuming the rest of the datewheel looks as good as the '1'). :blink:

I left the DW on the 1 .... if the font is misaligned the single numerals will show .. the 1 is dead on and the rest of the DW follows suit.. and the crown is scary.... not being an expert I keep trying to "find" the "rep" look in it compared to the gen. .. the pics don't lie... if you cannot find great fault in it freddy then its all *G*

but the mag on the genuine is really invisible to the "glare" .. since it is supposedly on the underside .. it's not like looking at chiefs AR.. but it is without any glare..i would venture to say that after awhile with our search fro perfection the mag will "have" to be coated.. :lol: .. that would really make this piece... OUTRAGEOUS..

jmt Posted Today, 05:23 PM

F#$%#$k'n RWG! You guys are starting to p@#ss me off! I am not even a Rollie guy, and now I just broke down and bought a MBW sub, cant stop thinking about building a great vintage model, and now got my interest up about this one. Jeez... I gotta stay away and go back to work for a while!

:o ... :lol: ... wadaya gonna do huh ?? :bb:

So, now I am cornfused. Joshua says

"Hi,

There will be no further stocks of the correct hand stack for at least 6 to 9 months..

New stocks in will be independent hand adjustment.

Joshua "

Are there some available elsewhere or is this thread already out of date?

So, now I am cornfused. Joshua says

"Hi,

There will be no further stocks of the correct hand stack for at least 6 to 9 months..

Joshua "

Are there some available elsewhere or is this thread already out of date?

Hmm. So no more CHS's ones for 6-9 months? Why would they possibly have a delay of that long. And how would they possibly think that any us that have been waiting for this one and didn't get in on the intitial ones are going to give rats @ss about it in six months or a year from now.

Hmm. So no more CHS's ones for 6-9 months? Why would they possibly have a delay of that long. And how would they possibly think that any us that have been waiting for this one and didn't get in on the intitial ones are going to give rats @ss about it in six months or a year from now.

All we need is a dealer on these board to jump in and say: " All is BS! I have plenty in stock....got to my site......http://www.GMTIIC4every1.com" ...correct hand stock, wrong hand stock....we got them all!"

I left the DW on the 1 .... if the font is misaligned the single numerals will show .. the 1 is dead on and the rest of the DW follows suit.. and the crown is scary.... not being an expert I keep trying to "find" the "rep" look in it compared to the gen. .. the pics don't lie... if you cannot find great fault in it freddy then its all *G*

The '1' is usually very easy to copy because it is just a line. I agree that it looks centered. But the more complex numbers, with twists & turns, are alot more telling of how accurate the date font is. And since we have the gen pic of the '22' (with the watch on its side), I think that would make or break the font issue. At least for me.

but the mag on the genuine is really invisible to the "glare" .. since it is supposedly on the underside .. it's not like looking at chiefs AR.. but it is without any glare..i would venture to say that after awhile with our search fro perfection the mag will "have" to be coated.. :lol: .. that would really make this piece... OUTRAGEOUS..

My thoughts exactly.

"Hi, There will be no further stocks of the correct hand stack for at least 6 to 9 months..

Joshua "

1st, Josh/Andrew were reported to have said that there would be no more chs versions after the initial run ran out. Then, glory be, there was a 2nd run, but no more after that.....then a 3rd run, but no more after that. Ok, wires get crossed, mistakes can happen, s-h-i-t happens. I get that. But, now, there will be more chs versions in 6 to 9 months????????? And someone else said that another seller would have them in a week or so????????? :g:

WHERE IS MY THORAZINE??????

1st, Josh/Andrew were reported to have said that there would be no more chs versions after the initial run ran out. Then, glory be, there was a 2nd run, but no more after that.....then a 3rd run, but no more after that. Ok, wires get crossed, mistakes can happen, s-h-i-t happens. I get that. But, now, there will be more chs versions in 6 to 9 months????????? And someone else said that another seller would have them in a week or so????????? :g:

WHERE IS MY THORAZINE??????

Such is the REP world!!!

what I was told .. and I trust this to be sincere.. is Joshua was allocated 40 they were sold in a day.. he went back and asked for more.. he was surprised that they let him have another 30 which was also sold out in another day... he asked for more again and he said to his surprise they let him have the balance 37 ... as of yesterday he had 15 left.. that was early in the day btw.. so that is ... what it was...

oops posted in the wrong thread before..

oh right i get it.. the reason this watch sold out too quickly isnt the fact that it's actually that its as popular as ppl make it sound.. but the fact that they only do batches of 30's? so in total in the week that they released only around 100 of these have been sold..

i thought with other reps they have initial release of 100s or even 1000s.. so everyone can have a chance to buy one.. i mean i'm pretty sure more BCE's have been sold out then these GMTIIC but wat i dont get is that it never gets sold out.. so my question is instead of mass producing these watches like the other models.. why do they only release 30 pcs at 1 time and then stop producing again? are they copying rolex's marketing strategy? produce below the demand now?

Edited by arminvanbuuren