When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Funny story I want to share!

Guest CGJ

So anyway, This morning I have an appointment with a grocery marker/convenience store owner in Worcester, MA. The place is pretty small, but they have ALOT of business going through it constantly, so the owner makes good money. One of the guys she has working for her is a tall, black man in his 50's, he simply sweeps the floors, cleans the bathrooms for about 8 bucks an hour.

I noticed during her absence he was wearing a pretty nice watch. I checked it out closer and held it to find it was a rolex submariner, two tone. Painfully obvious... ticks once per second, and about half the gold on the bracelet was completely worn off... I pointed out it was a fake not only cuz the gold was out to lunch, but the ticking is similar to a quartz watch. Then I showed him my rep, whcih I passed as a real one and how it ticks about 4-5 times per second. he didnt argue or look angry, I personally think he couldn't understand me.

Later on as Im completing my sale, (my 15th in a row!!) I tell her "you have a guy working here with a fake rolex" She says "oh boy, dont tell him that, he thinks its real! He actually got into an argument with a guy with an expensive watch abotu how his keeps BETTER time."

Another thing to do if you want to be convincing, is make it believable. How would a 50 yr old janitor who can barely communicate have a 6,000 dollar watch? Even with my income, I probably would only have 2 reps, just because people would still get suspicious if they knew I had 5 or 6 really expensive timepieces.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Said Janitor could be a retiree. I know it's not common for those who retire to relegate themselves back into doing menial work, but there are some who have retired and have gone on to work again for the sake of doing labor.

Now that the fakery is concerned...isn't it all about the air of confidence that makes the distinction between real and fake?

Noticed you mentioned you did a sale...are you perhaps a vendor?

I noticed during her absence he was wearing a pretty nice watch. I checked it out closer and held it to find it was a rolex submariner, two tone. Painfully obvious... ticks once per second, and about half the gold on the bracelet was completely worn off... I pointed out it was a fake not only cuz the gold was out to lunch, but the ticking is similar to a quartz watch. Then I showed him my rep, whcih I passed as a real one and how it ticks about 4-5 times per second. he didnt argue or look angry, I personally think he couldn't understand me.

I'm not sure I understand the point of pointing the fact that his watch was a fake out to him. Did you actually approach him and ask to see his watch, or did he apprach you and try to pass it off as real? I personally would never even ask anyone if his/her watch was real or point out the fact that it wasn't, even if it was obvious. *shrug*

As I read it, guy was minding his own business, you approached him and called him out, then passed yours off as a gen?

If someone did that to you, how would you feel?

I don't see the humor of this at all, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Why, exactly, did you pass your fake as real while you unnecessarily called this poor man out?

May I ask how old you are?

Im 26. Another question- yes, I am a health insurance salesman, and a very successful one at that. As for the poor man, he is indeed a poor man. I'm in a convenience store in the "bronx" section of worcester. Noone there owns a home, owns a car newer than 1988, and noone there has health insurance other than the state free-care. It is a complete impossibility that he could ever actually have a real one.

He was standing next to me when I just took a very close look at his watch, and pointed a few things out to him. Based on the fact that he CANNOT speak english, I can say for a fact he did not understand a word I was saying. No harm, no foul. I just hate low end replicas, because their so numerous it "devalues" the rolex name and prestige associated with it. There really should be regulations on the fakes.

Edited by CGJ

CGJ Seriously how dare you man? Do you not know any better? Have you no shame? The TT sub is not $6K, it's $8,000! :rtfm::spiteful:

As I read it, guy was minding his own business, you approached him and called him out, then passed yours off as a gen?

If someone did that to you, how would you feel?

I don't see the humor of this at all, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Your post however, made me spat my diet green tea on my AR coated glare screen at work.

I guess its just funny to read, when you lay it all out nice and simple for him like that. :rofl:

Im 26. Another question- yes, I am a health insurance salesman, and a very successful one at that. As for the poor man, he is indeed a poor man. I'm in a convenience store in the "bronx" section of worcester. Noone there owns a home, owns a car newer than 1988, and noone there has health insurance other than the state free-care. It is a complete impossibility that he could ever actually have a real one.

He was standing next to me when I just took a very close look at his watch, and pointed a few things out to him. Based on the fact that he CANNOT speak english, I can say for a fact he did not understand a word I was saying. No harm, no foul. I just hate low end replicas, because their so numerous it "devalues" the rolex name and prestige associated with it. There really should be regulations on the fakes.

Oh brother... I'm a newbie and will let one of the more experienced members here take the first swing at this softball. *grin*

Edited by tr4driver

Not to make it go off topic, but do you pronounce Worcester "Woosta"?

My parents once visited my wife's family in Gloucester and they called it "Glow-Chester" and they were literally laughed out of town.

pronounced Wuh-ster. Yes, it appears to be WAR-SES-ter or WAR-Chester. Thats wicked wrong. (Yes we say "wicked out here"

I refuse to believe a gen owner would put us in the same bracket as that. We are smart people who want to own watches that actually pass as real ones, at least without opening them. And in that case we win. If I had a rolex with the gold worn off and a second hand that ticks on the second, theres simply no point, its just too obvious, and worthless other than the practical purpose of keeping time.

(CGJ @ Jun 26 2008, 08:22 PM)

I refuse to believe a gen owner would put us in the same bracket as that.

What do you mean in the same bracket......the rep bracket is all the same, if it's not real, it's a replica. The only difference between you and him is that you called him out, and you have the better replica. Pretty poor way to do things if you ask me!

I can't really see why you would call someone out on a replica when you yourself are wearing one, I can't see the point even if you were wearing a genuine......

I really don't understand the gall of some people. Even though he may not have understood a word you said, you did your best to embarrass him, then proceeded to call him out to his boss. I can read people very well my friend, and I am pretty sure you are an arrogant, snob nosed [censored].

Haha my fake is better than yours!!!

I have an even funnier story for you. Friend of mine is an LEO, he ran a homeless guy in once on a drunk and disorderly. Got him to lock up and as he was handing over his possesions what do you know this homeless guy pulled a Rolex 5512 off his wrist. My friend has been in love with Rolex since he got one for his high school graduation(he one of thoes people who could live off daddy but rather be on his own, more or less just to pi$$ daddy off) Anyways he verified that it was a gen and when they were releasing the homeless guy he offered to buy it for a more than fair price. The homeless guy told him that at one point he had alot of money, that Rolex was the first thing he bought when he started making money and when he lost his money it was the only thing of any value that they did not take from him. He said he would never sell it.

The twist is this homeless guy does odd jobs here and there for cash. Every now and then my friend will see him hauling trash or hosing down sidewalks in front of businesses in the French Quarter. So there is guy who does odd things for cash with what a $15-$20k watch on his wrist the whole time?

You never know what someone has going for them, the way they dress or act, even their job means nothing and lends no insite into their bank account. Money does not buy class as plainly evident in your story. SO was the point of mentioning his fake to the owner in hopes that she would notice your fake?

Humbleness is a general quality that most people with nice gens have....Usually when somebody is wearing a watch and showing everybody i usually think fake....If you can afford a nice gen then why would you go through the trouble of showing everybody...Maybe the day after you bought it but after a while.....not really.....Most people I know who have 20,000+ watches dont buy them to impress other people.....and would much rather pass as somebody wearing a timex.....

My father who has two patek complications (platinum and one yellow gold) wears a plastic swatch about 90% of the time...(says he can read the time better)

.If you can afford a nice gen then why would you go through the trouble of showing everybody...Maybe the day after you bought it but after a while.....not really.....Most people I know who have 20,000+ watches dont buy them to impress other people.....and would much rather pass as somebody wearing a timex.....

That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. What is the point of an ULTRA-expensive piece of jewelry or wristwatch that costs more than MOST CARS if people don't see it or notice it? its pointless. And a $30 walmart piece would be adequate.

Furthermore, over the years and having met with literally thousands of people, I say a book CAN be judged by its cover, and I'm never wrong when it comes to that.

I hope it made you feel big to belittle another human being who had done you no harm.You felt bigger than him because your fake was better than his fake ? You also feel you need to big yourself up by telling us how many sales you have made and how successful you are (am i sensing issues here). As for a book can be judged by its cover ?? a person can be judged by there words and deeds and you have shown what kind of person you are. Karma

That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. What is the point of an ULTRA-expensive piece of jewelry or wristwatch that costs more than MOST CARS if people don't see it or notice it? its pointless.

Yeah, like all those people that buy paintings and store them in locked vaults, or those people that only drive their Ferarris on sunny weekends! How silly they are. They should do their duty and get out there and gaudily flaunt their wealth!

... and their wives should wear ALL THEIR JEWELLERY AT ONCE! Every piece left in the safe is an affront to capitalism!

That is the silliest thing I have ever heard. What is the point of an ULTRA-expensive piece of jewelry or wristwatch that costs more than MOST CARS if people don't see it or notice it? its pointless. And a $30 walmart piece would be adequate.

Furthermore, over the years and having met with literally thousands of people, I say a book CAN be judged by its cover, and I'm never wrong when it comes to that.

Owning a timepiece of such quality is not all about brandishing it about in public most people could care less. It's about owning a finely tuned, beautifully crafted watch. It's like buying a Ferrari and driving at the weekends, and having a nice run around during the week. . If you buy a watch to impress others, I think this says a lot!

If you judge people on how they look and what scenario they are in, and allow materialistic ownership to help you define people i.e. the book cover, then you will miss out on the finer things in life my friend, and I feel sorry for you.

The simple answer, because they can. I can tell you this I know enough people with bank accounts deeper than Santa's sack and I have yet to see one of them point out a single thing they own and remark on how much it cost them with the sole intention of letting everyone around them know how much money they have.

You are 26 and sell insurance for a living, honestly how many deceptive people could you have possibly run into? For that matter how many people who you have met and made a "snap" decision as to their character or worth, be it for the good or bad, have you continued to observe to see if you are right or not?

Perfect example and this is just one that is close to me personally would be my uncle. Most days he wears jeans and polo style shirt. For a watch I have seen him wear a G-Shock, 2 different Tags, and an all gold Datejust on occasion and he drives a GMC Yukon. Nothing too special, seems like upper middle class right? Yet he goes home to a 8,000 square foot home worth a bit over 2 million, has a 65 foot yacht and just recently spent a bit north of $150,000 replacing every TV and piece of furniture in his house because he wanted new Plasmas instead of the DLP's he had. It started on the TV's and just kept going until everything was new.

Let me guess you probably have neumerous credit cards close to their limit, driving or probably leasing a more expensive car than you can really afford and doing it all for that oh so shallow projection of image that you think will get you ahead in life.

So here's to you Mr. Replica Wearing Insurance salesman, for without you used car salesmen would be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to projecting a false image.

The simple answer, because they can. I can tell you this I know enough people with bank accounts deeper than Santa's sack and I have yet to see one of them point out a single thing they own and remark on how much it cost them with the sole intention of letting everyone around them know how much money they have.

You are 26 and sell insurance for a living, honestly how many deceptive people could you have possibly run into? For that matter how many people who you have met and made a "snap" decision as to their character or worth, be it for the good or bad, have you continued to observe to see if you are right or not?

Perfect example and this is just one that is close to me personally would be my uncle. Most days he wears jeans and polo style shirt. For a watch I have seen him wear a G-Shock, 2 different Tags, and an all gold Datejust on occasion and he drives a GMC Yukon. Nothing too special, seems like upper middle class right? Yet he goes home to a 8,000 square foot home worth a bit over 2 million, has a 65 foot yacht and just recently spent a bit north of $150,000 replacing every TV and piece of furniture in his house because he wanted new Plasmas instead of the DLP's he had. It started on the TV's and just kept going until everything was new.

Let me guess you probably have neumerous credit cards close to their limit, driving or probably leasing a more expensive car than you can really afford and doing it all for that oh so shallow projection of image that you think will get you ahead in life.

So here's to you Mr. Replica Wearing Insurance salesman, for without you used car salesmen would be the bottom of the barrel when it comes to projecting a false image.

Not funny ... it was a shitty, mean spirited thing to do :(

I'm sorry sir, but you are an [censored] ;-)

It seems you have totally missed the point of owning/collecting/wearing good craftsmanship and quality, and it seems you find flaunting monetary success more important than owning an actual piece. Although you are not the only one with this approach to expensive items - whether that be watches, cars or art - it sadly puts you in that category of watch wearers who do it for the (in my eyes) wrong reasons.