When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

GMT hand is not working should I be worried?

rolexconfuse

Everything on the watch (GMT Ceramic) is running but GMT is not doing anything. when i first got the watch i changed the GMT to 4 o'clock, it worked for about 5 hours then it just stopped, i left it for 3 hours to see if anything would happen and nothing. So i went and rotated the GMT 1 hour day and set it to 6 0'clock. After I did this the GMT hand started to work again, and it then after 3 more hours it stopped. I left it alone all night and the GMT has not moved at all from where it stopped.

Should I be worried that whatever is clogging the GMT might end up clogging the rest of the movement?

I have two GMT IIc's; one asian and one swiss. The GMT hand on both stopped working shortly after I got them. Otherwise, they work quite well.

So do you mean that you have two watches, each with a GMT function and neither GMT function now works? Sort of defeats the object, don't you think? :mellow:

If it's not going to affect the main movement I can live with it thought it's a bit annoying. My concern was that it may end up bombing the movement.

Dude! RETURN IT! Why take the chance! Plus you bought a GMT for DOCs sakes! You should have a working GMT! Sounds like you have a gear problem somewhere!

Geewhiz.......this IIC's are just killing us......well, maybe not alll of us!

Hike

Doc, I agree & that is the same conclusion I came to a few days ago. In fact, I am under the impression that there are more incorrect hand stack (ihs) versions of the GMTIIC being returned with GMT issues than chs GMTIICs.

And based on the growing number of GMT problem reports from ihs GMTIIC owners, it is pretty obvious that it is the GMT components themselves that are causing most of the problems & not the layout or order of the GMT/hour hands. Since By-Tor & others have reported far fewer problems with previous ihs GMT reps (which supposedly contained true, Swiss-made ETAs), I think you have to wonder if the ihs GMTIICs all contain Asian movements.

So far, my 3 week old chs is still working well. But until someone disassembles 1 of them, there is no guarantee that these reps contain genuine ETA movements either. :unsure:

It certainly would not be the 1st time a rep buyer bought a bill of goods, whose contents did not match the bill. :angry2:

Guest carlsbadrolex

Well, just a little additional information... Yesterday evening I took my CHS GMT IIc and the new AP ROO to my watchmaker for him to grease the gaskets and take a quick look. The GMT IIc most definitely contains the Swiss eta 2836-2 (modified movement). It is still running at +2 over 9 days. So I dont really care to tear in to it yet!

BUT, if someone wants me to, I guess I can have the hands and dial removed just to take a look at whats under the hood on that side of the watch. I doubt highly that we are getting the movement that was shown by the master which had movement retainer tabs holding the gears in place. I would hope that we are past that garage watch making techniques.

I haven't been following the topics on correct/incorrect handstack GMTs lately. But does anyone know if it's still the same GMT module build on top of a 2836 which The Zigmeister reviewed 1 or 2 years ago? That didn't look like a very reliable design......

edit: CBR was just ahead of me with asking the same, lol.

BUT, if someone wants me to, I guess I can have the hands and dial removed just to take a look at whats under the hood on that side of the watch. I doubt highly that we are getting the movement that was shown by the master which had movement retainer tabs holding the gears in place. I would hope that we are past that garage watch making techniques.

That would be most interesting to see, I am sure quite a few peeps would be eager to have a detailed look at what make this watch tick (or not :p )

Cheers! B)

As I have posted....My CHS GMT performed flawlessly for 5 days then died when I tried to set it a second time. The GMT hand would not move and neither would the quick date function. I am always very careful with my watches but I would tell everyone to be U L T R A careful when setting this watch. Turn the crown very slowly and if you feel any drag...STOP..push in the crown and start again.

My suggestion is to SEND THE WATCH BACK!!!!! After a servicing it may run trouble free. take it from me you dont want a watch that does not function correctly. It may seem OK now but in the long run it will NOT be.

30 EMS for the initially shipping, 30 EMS shipping back for servicing, 30 bucks EMS for shipping it back

total of 90 bucks or half of what the watch costs...

Well you need to pay the first $30 to get the watch, right? ;)

I have been told by all dealers to use registered mail to send back faulty watches to China, so that is going to cost about $10. Plus no dealer I use charges me $30 to ship the repaired/replacement watch back to me....

So your $90 is not quite what I have experienced at least :p

I am out of pocket $10 when I ship a faulty watch back. Aside from the added annoyance of having to do so in the first place!

Cheers! B)

Well you need to pay the first $30 to get the watch, right? ;)

I have been told by all dealers to use registered mail to send back faulty watches to China, so that is going to cost about $10. Plus no dealer I use charges me $30 to ship the repaired/replacement watch back to me....

So your $90 is not quite what I have experienced at least :p

I am out of pocket $10 when I ship a faulty watch back. Aside from the added annoyance of having to do so in the first place!

Cheers! B)

I always send it registered and it comes out to about $16.50! So that's how much it cost me to get a replacement, but I get something that should be much better than the

first one! I always request a double QC to avoid anymore frustrations and so the replacements I've gotten are trouble free!

I always send it registered and it comes out to about $16.50! So that's how much it cost me to get a replacement, but I get something that should be much better than the

first one! I always request a double QC to avoid anymore frustrations and so the replacements I've gotten are trouble free!

A word to highlight there is "replacement". I've had cross shipped replacements off most of the main on board dealers, not repaired watches. After all we are paying more and more for these watches, why put up with long delays and repairs?

And yes, the new watch should be spotless! :D

Cheers! B)

My guess, based on the satisfactory timing results I have gotten from my chs watch, is that the chs reps contain genuine ETAs

timing0121.jpg

But until some of these movements are completely disassembled & compared to known genuine ETA parts, the jury will remain out as to whether any of these GMTIICs -- chs or Swiss/Asian ihs -- contain a genuine Swiss movement.

Something I have noticed on both of the watches I have handled (my chs & a friend's ihs) is that there is a subtle grinding when screwing the crown back into the case. I emphasize that I felt the same thing on both the chs & ihs versions. It could be something sticking in the keyless works (remember these are all surplus/used movements) or it could be something more serious. But, again, until you disassemble the movement, there is no way to know. And with the cautions Ziggy mentioned regarding broken gears when removing hands, etc., I am not about to tamper with a movement that is currently functioning/running well & keeping good time.

These new super GMT's sound like -super- pieces of [censored].

Heh heh,

He said [censored].

It is certainly looking like he is right too, from the outside looking in. Makes me wonder if the attack of replica eta's has hit home. I hate it because it looks like a fantastic watch, but I am going to have to wait this one out.

yup, my asian IHS GMT hand stops seemingly at random intervals, but the watch keeps very good time, so I'm loathe to return it at the mo...that said it doesn't get a huge amount of wrist time as my Breitling SOH makes the rollie look, well, rather petite and girly.... :o

Guest carlsbadrolex

I will continue to marvel at my CHS... I just checked it again against the national atomic clock and it is +3 seconds after 9 days and the GMT hand is spot on. Not too bad for a piece of [censored] replica!

Unfortunately, since it is running so well... Im not going to take it in to have it opened up. I simply dont care to tempt the movement to [censored] upon itself!

Sooner or later, aren't all the GMT hands on a modified 2836 movement gonna crap out? We know that the 2836 movement is not a true GMT movement.

Reason why I bring this up is that my GMT hand on my Omega GMT moves with the time, but crapped out and does not move any more when turning the crown.

well i would do it register mail but it would take forever, I just hate waiting for 2-3 weeks to get there then wait another 2-3 weeks for it to get back.

That is why I always request the dealer cross ships a replacement ;)

I do have a good working relationship with the dealers I have used, which certainly helps. Although with the CHS GMT2 watch, there is no stock to offer as direct replacement :(