When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Test: Le Plongeur C-Type Chronograph

cover.jpg

I received this watch as an item on loan from my friend Takashi for the second part of my divers’ watch test-special. He not only takes the risk of having it lost in transit, but also the possibility of damages due to my rather rough tests. I am very grateful and if you like this little writeup, please ensure to give Taka a big hand for his generosity!

I owe you a beer my friend (or at least an Apfelschorle)!

Let’s get started.

The rather unknown brand Paul Picot, named after a young but genius watchmaker who lived in the 17th century, was founded during the “Quartz-Crisis” in 1976. Producing a variety of watches, most of them rather dress watches, the 75 year old founder Mario Boiocchi lets his Italian roots flow into every series he builds. Together with the star-designer Hugo Berger who works for Paul Picot from the start in 1976 and also created watch designs for brands like Zenith and Franck Muller, they merely targeted the Italian market before the brand took off internationally.

The Plongeur line is designed in strong contrast to the dressy “Tonneau” family of the brand. And contrasts determine the look of the brand, including their advertising concept. When Picot ran a somewhat erotic campaign in 1993, no one other than Helmut Newton was hired to take the pictures. The campaign introduced a new, saucy way of watch advertising that had been rather conservative until then and it went very successful. It was launched worldwide excluding Australia where it got prohibited.

Picotad.jpg

(I think she is reading the manual... :lol: )

I, however, allow myself now to investigate a little more of the regarded Plongeur. The “diver” as its name translates into English, leaves no doubt about it’s purpose and was introduced in 1988 for the first time. I have seen some fancy two-tone version of it on the internet, flat bezeled with golden indices on black surface.

tt.jpg

The other “first versions” of the Plongeur I found had already the raised numerals on a thick, stainless steel bezel though. The “B-Type” followed only one year later, but fans had to wait more than 10 years long for the final “C-Type” on which the replica is based we regard here.

gendata.jpg

The “touch” of yellow that appears on magnificent spots throughout the watch-construction confers a sporty elegance. Especially the “anti-friction” ring on bezel and the decoration ring crown add their part to this appearance. They are meant to prevent the negative friction of steel against steel and to ensure a smooth operation. It also lifts the bezel around one millimetre making it easier to grip. Large raised and polished numerals add an artful touch to it and are readily recognisable due to the contrast with the dark metal surface. The good grip is supported by polished square-edged uprisings that chamfer down at the side. Turning the bezel feels a bit wobbly, even though it has a very solid metal sounding click. It clicks 60 times one way around, not 120, but aligns with the minute-scale on the rehaut perfectly.

bezel.jpg

The case is fully polished, with minor exceptions on the parts between the lugs which have a varying brushed and polished finish, same as the outer part of the caseback.

This looks precious, but has the disadvantage of attracting scratches almost magnetically.

Lugs, as well as crownguards suit the square-edged bezel design with brick like appearance. This continues throughout the full design of the watch; angular numerals on the bezel, square-brick pattern on the rubber strap and of course the design of the dial which will be regarded later – everything is designed harmonious, probably creating the most expensive Lego brick toy ever.

flanke.jpg

Another highlight on this watch is the large crown, emphasised by another yellow ring, which is a pleasure to operate. Well protected between the Lego-style guards, it screws in and out smoothly and the deep longitudinal slip-proof profile ensures good grip even with thick gloves. It reminds a little of a gear, underlining the technical character of the design. Same applies for the screw locked pushers which have a good pressure-point to activate the chronograph function. The crown is triplocked by the way.

crowntriplock.jpg

The top of the crown is decorated with the brands initials (PP), which looks a little like baggy nickel-plated brass, to be honest.

crownpushers.jpg

The caseback conventionalizes a partly polished cogwheel with a brushed area in its middle where model, brand and limitation number are carefully engraved and even the inside is a little decorated with a cloudy design. Not really beautiful, but what the heck… :D

csback.jpg

The limitation number is taken from the white dialled model which is limited to 500 pieces instead of the 999 for the “black” line. All replicas have the number 208/500, fyi.

The already mentioned “cogwheel” around this area is engraved with information such as reference and COSC number, etc on the inner circle which is as brushed just like the inner area.

csback2.jpg

It is sealed by a fitting gasket ensuring a pressure-resistance of at least 5 bar as the leakchecker proves. If it can stand the pressure of 100m will the test at the AD show us in a few days.

leak.jpg

Underneath it runs the well known Asia 28.800 high beat 7750 which has been modified to suit the tricompax layout, this is why the datewheel sits too deep under the datewindow between 4 and 5 o’ clock. Some would say this to be a dead give-away, but I don’t think it is that obvious unless you try to convince a WIS, for the datewheel is white font on black surface. Paul Picot uses a top grade quality ETA 7753 for the genuine, that is why you can see a pusher at ten. It is not a HeV, but a quick date set button, which is of course a dummy on the replica.

dummypusher.jpg

The movement is a little decorated, but not very time-consumingly in my honest opinion. It has blued screws though and a beautiful rotor (C

What a fantastic review Seadweller , congratulations , every single details is reviewed and well describe .

Even the way of presentation , looks like magazine report/test , really cosmetics with nice macro pictures , you should get rewarded for this. :1a::clap::clap2::clap3:

I've got this watch , one of my favorite during spring/summer time , it's actually thrue claps sucks , I personally tried to mod it fisrt by streching small springs inside , it works , it's really keeps claps locked , so I will find stronger spring in market and then swap it.

Thanks again for this nice review.

Cheers

I would think so... With servicing, beat and accuracy adjustment, you are getting a pretty good movement. You may wish to take a look at SD's Test on Panerai 196. That's for unserviced movement but I am lucky enough to adjust the accuracy on PAM196.

I would think so... With servicing, beat and accuracy adjustment, you are getting a pretty good movement. You may wish to take a look at SD's Test on Panerai 196. That's for unserviced movement but I am lucky enough to adjust the accuracy on PAM196.

It

Once again you did it! Another amazing writeup!!!

Thanks to Takashi too... he's an unselfish, helpful person and a good friend of mine as well!

Great work guys... I'm waiting anxiously for the diver rep chronograph test.

Thank you all guys for your nice words!

I simply love being a part of this community.

Takashi told me he asked his dealer for a better clasp. As soon as he got it I will update this test.

Right now I am moving to a new home in a different city so I might not be able to work on the chronograph test as I would like - I have studies to do as well... :(

Hope I will be able to put it up asap so Taka gets his watches back!

• 1 month later...

Thank you Seadweller4000 for an exellent review.I also have this watch and i get a lot of copliments on the yelow strap.The bad thing with that watch is that the Ar is very easily sctatched and the best thing it is made for free diving,i did test it on that.

Best Regards