When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

is it maybe time to ...

lazarini

Dear friends , members ...

I'm looking around the boards and have a feeling some of the older members started to sell of their reps ... that said i must confess im playing with the same idea for quite some time now ... and i know there are many others out there.

When i received my gen. Rolex Exp. II cca. a month ago i came to harsh reality ... no matter what kinda super rep. u have or a Frankenstein for that matter ure still far away from the real deal ... yes it will look the same from 2 meters away but as soon as u touch it u feel the difference (talking about rolex here).

Now im more and more convinced to sell the rest of my high end reps and maybe get another black faced Rolex sports model and call it a day ...

Problem why i did not do so before is afcourse the watches them self and the stories behind them ... collecting of the parts ... seeing it grow and transform till in the end lands on ure wrist ... for people that have done projects in the past know the excitement and the pain behind putting this stuff together, witch in the end is rewarded with great feeling of contempt and victory on project completion.

Personally this is the one and only BIG reason why i did not go for this ... yet ... but more and more i think about it im drawn this way ... second even BIGGER reason is the community and the friends that keep me on RWG every day ... i

ITS NOT A HOBBY ... ITS A WAY OF LIFE B)

What a guy to do ?

Share ure thoughts ... with kind regards .

Laz

I dont know, i bought a gen IWC and still love my reps, The feel with the gen omega and the gen IWC is not that far off for me. i dont buy alot these days as ther is not a great deal out there to tempt me, maybe the AProo but not at that price, for me the comunity is the main thing right now,

I see no need to stop at all just to take my time

Well Laz,

I speak for all of us when I say this, but the primary reason alot of us like replicas is due to them costing substantially less than the real thing. People like to get these for the impression they make on others... I guess having a rolex is kinda like saying "hey, look what I can afford." I personally would probably never get a genuine one only because

1- theres SOOOO many fakes out there I would be PETRIFIED of fraud no matter where it came from, and

2- a well built rep looks and feels so close to the real thing, still has the classy look, and achieves the same result.

The only real detriment is having to face the reality that it is in fact a fake and is not a real rolex (or whatever brand) and I suppose the fear of an expert noticing its fake and the embarrassment that follows. Ive been lucky so far with that for some reason.

Keep your reps and buy the gen.

It does not have to be all or nothing, you can enjoy both.

I enjoy the thrill of the hunt with reps. Sometimes you win sometimes you lose, but you never know unless you try. Reps for me are all about how creative you can be. How much passion you put into it is what you will get out of it.

With a gen it's like paying to shoot the exact one you want on some safari guided hunt. It may be $1000 it may be $10,000, but you get exactly what you want, but there is nothing creative or special about it.

We are all collectors, and we all love a nice time piece. Rep or Gen does not matter. Love them for what they are.

I grew up with Rolexes (my dad's a gen collector) and I know what you mean. Gen is gen, and in some weird way they're definitely worth the extra $4K... even though their actual production cost is probably a few hundreds... they're still better in small details which are so important for us.

You might love that one and only gen watch (for now), but after a while you'll realize that you simply can't live with just 1 or 2 watches (if you're a real watch nut). I know I couldn't. That's why reps are so cool (and cheap).

2 watches? Get real man! A real watch dork needs to own at least 10 watches. :D Many of our longtime forum members own lots of great gens. Step back all you want... but after the initial excitement of your first expensive gen is over, you'll be back. Mark these words.

PS: It took Stephane a week or two to come back... now he's building more reps than ever, like a man possessed. :D

I grew up with Rolexes (my dad's a gen collector) and I know what you mean. Gen is gen, and in some weird way they're definitely worth the extra $4K... even though their actual production cost is probably a few hundreds... they're still better in small details which are so important for us.

You might love that one and only gen watch (for now), but after a while you'll realize that you simply can't live with just 1 or 2 watches (if you're a real watch nut). I know I couldn't. That's why reps are so cool (and cheap).

2 watches? Get real man! A real watch dork needs to own at least 10 watches. :D Many of our longtime forum members own lots of great gens. Step back all you want... but after the initial excitement of your first expensive gen is over, you'll be back. Mark these words.

PS: It took Stephane a week or two to come back... now he's building more reps than ever, like a man possessed. :D

Hey, my sentiments exact! I didn't have to mark your words though, mate... After getting my 2220. 8 0 for a week or so, I am already back, looking out for the next rep i will get... For me, gettng a gen just makes you hunger for watches even more, gen or rep! :p

Guest porsche356a

I myself have gone back and forth. But you ALWAYS come back. If you go, dont look back in the forums, cos the REPS are so good, and the posts and reviews will make you "try" them again and next thing you know, you are hooked again. There are for sure quite a few super reps that with little modding, are so close to gen its scary. In the end, this is a hobby, and like any hobby you get sick of it, and then you forget but in the end you come back. ITs the posts, the people, and lets not forget the watches. :D

I know what you're feeling. Since I've recently bought a gen and are saving for another one, I'm sizing down my rep collection.

My search for perfection and accuracy for some watches is so high, that in the end only a gen can make me happy. However, there will still be other watches of which I would never buy the gen. And for those watches high quality reps will serve my needs.

Having said that, I've noticed that while my interest in buying new reps has decreased the community feel has grown at the same time. I've made some friends here who I've had the pleasure with to meet in person ( :) ) and that's what is binding me to this forum.

I myself have gone back and forth. But you ALWAYS come back. If you go, dont look back in the forums, cos the REPS are so good, and the posts and reviews will make you "try" them again and next thing you know, you are hooked again. There are for sure quite a few super reps that with little modding, are so close to gen its scary. In the end, this is a hobby, and like any hobby you get sick of it, and then you forget but in the end you come back. ITs the posts, the people, and lets not forget the watches. :D

Extremely well put... It IS the community...

Ive almost sold all my reps, now im a proud owner of a gen Rolex Submariner and a MB Timewalker.

Reason against reps - poor quality control, child exploitation, contributing to an illegal trade, inaccuracies yet ever increasing prices.

To me its now "quality over quantity" Now I can proudly wear a gen without feeling a little sheepish about its authenticity.

Still a watch is a watch and whatever makes anyone happy :)

Personally speaking, the fun and excitement is in the build. I started with gens and sold the few I had and never looked back (okay... I still own one in my collection). While there is no substitute to the real deal, I find that building is far more satisfyng and keeps my ADD in check; I'm always looking for something... Some part or dial, etc. to finish off a project, and the constant search keeps me busy. With gens, I found that I was getting bored, and far too quickly. There's no challenge in going to an AD, exchanging cash for a shiney new toy and walking out with it on the wrist. I mean, once you buy it, it's done! Whereas building... I've had some projects take in excess of a year :)

We're all in this hobby for different reasons... For me, it's just a lot more fun!

:)

Past and present (just a few):

209_0939.jpg

203_0349.jpg

IMG_3901.jpg

174_7478.jpg

IMG_3152.jpg

184_8462.jpg

135_3516.jpg

165_6574_filtered.jpg

187_8736.jpg

And a few to come...

IMG_3593.jpg

IMG_3717.jpg

IMG_3162.jpg

IMG_3908.jpg

If the above hadn't been occupying my time for the past few years, I think I'd be pretty bored (or blowing my money on some other, less fulfilling hobby) :)

Hi all ... and thx for the replies let me put my thoughts out there ...

Personally i have joined the boards to find myself a decent replica watch ... and not a canal street reps that i had bought in the past ... my rep history is well documented in the link in my signature feel free to take a peak ;)

As the time passed me as many others searched for better ways to get closer to the real deal and that's when i first went into a longer term project that is today my 1680 sub. If u never did a project watch u don't know what u missing and as respected members (oldies) ;) mentioned it beats the hell out of walking out with a gen from the AD.

After that all my watches were build from some or the other gen parts not just to make them as close as possible but the addiction of the "project" itself was the thing that makes this all that pleasant and interesting.

I was able to purchased my first gen only and i repeat ONLY because of the RWG and the watches i slowly but gradually put together. If i have never joined the boards i would not be able to afford it! But a insert there ... a dial here ... a case here ... crown-tube here etc 3-4 months latter transferred into a mighty timepiece with significant value. All fine till here a dream story ...

But as i reflect back in last year all my extra cash went into the projects,parts etc ... resulting in pretty much great watches but constantly empty pockets hahah how many of u know that story right ;)

What im saying is maybe time to sell and get another gen ... and step back a bit ... not leave! Maybe a brake from this all for a sec as its been just a tad to crazy in the last few months ...

I have as we speak a 5512/5513 project that is close to be completed and i think ill do that one before i take a bit of the rest ...

I never intended to leave if someone misread my first post ... the desire and love for projects is still strong ... whatever happens and if i sell my current collection im sure ill be back building something sooner or later ...

Laz

Sold my gen Rolex watches save two and used the money for a first class family vacation to Disney World for 10 days. Got way more enjoyment out of the trip than the watches I sold ever gave me. Nothing wrong with buying gens and at the same time having reps. You can have both and enjoy each for what it is. I go through periods where I only wear my gen Datejusts and then periods when I only wear a rep.... just thinking out loud.

Every time I went to purchase a new Breitling Chrono Avenger I began asking myself..

"quantity of quality" ?

I trade in my vehicles every couple years.. I like new things....

Gen purchases (although probable) are not the answer for me because of the reason listed above..

Why does it have to be either or... ;)

I started out a gen collector also many years ago, I lost interest in watches for nearly 10 years. After discovering reps 2-3 years ago, I'm hooked again! Building and hunting for parts is half the excitement/fun, the other half is certainly the friendships and camaraderie I've made here. I've learned more in the last few years about watches than I ever thought I'd know.

It has also allowed me to own fantastic representation of vintage pieces I've loved over the years but at a fraction of the cost. I'm in a current stage in life where I don't want to spend my money nor is it realistic to shell out for these gen items, and its not nearly as enjoyable as just going out and buying it!

I can see what you mean Laz..., I bought my first gen on our last GTG, but then again, I just love watches (reps or gens)and in my opinion( leave yellomen out of this ;) ), some reps I are so nicely build, my 005 fi, I have to compare it with a gen sometime in real life but I think it is an astonishing watch...

You sounds a bit tired, maybe to much time spend on reps, need a holiday, set your mind to something else for a while but I'm sure the fever will stay..:)

the fun is in the hunting,building ect, once finished, you need another challenge...

good luck anywhichway you go bro

capice

Laz, I think many of us feel the same way...but...we're still HERE ^_^ . I agree, a gen is a gen, and i stepped away from the hobby for a whole MONTH to focus on gens before I came back because I love watches and our forum. I know I've become much MORE selective in the reps I purchase now where 3-4 years ago, i would buy a couple a week. I've sold almost all my reps, many modded...and many I regret selling but happy knowing other members are enjoying them.

You could simply take a break from buying and just enjoy the forum, that's what I've been doing until something caught my eye...my 27 and 28 project and the new AP ROOs...everything else hasn't excited me lately...but I do know the reps are IMPROVING from where we were only a few years ago.

dave :victory:

Yep. Variety is the spice, Virginia.

Hey Saso,

I know what you mean my friend......

BUT as I told you before you will amazed only a short time of your Gen one....

Why? Because it's Gen nothing more to do on it.

No hunting for Parts to get it better, Fun and joy If you have something new or special on your Rep... ;)

A Gen is amazing i know,but after a while the Fever comes back,Believe me...

I told it thousand times " I'm ready with reps" and hey I'm still here.... :p

Now I have more fun on it as before..

I had never met you all without our hobby REPS..

And after the nice GTG I'm thankfull to know you all in Person....

Laz,

I could have quoted almost every comment but that would be a bit long, isn't it ?

So, I choose BT because he (among others :wounded1: ) knows some more about my personal behaviour in our little world.

I also agree 100% with what he says.

I started with an extreme addiction, wanting all the Subs rep (16610) available, then all the Rolex, then all the watches that I "kinda liked".

I discovered that most of the other brands I never wore them...thus sold them all almost.

I realised that "Quality over quantity ;) " was the way to go and started to approach the real thing as close as possible with some wonderful member's help.

And, then, I bought my first gen, the 16600, my second one, 16570 and thought "Wow, that is really much better than our reps" and started to loose interest in reps while keeping a true interest in RWG...

The first GTG was organized (at my place, what a stress guys, even worse than my first fuck!).

I met you and some very nice fellows.

A second GTG was held a month ago or so and saw you for the second time, together with the others of course and some new faces too.

I can't wait for the next one and see you all again!

Today two members wanted to buy Ubi's Snowflake dial and hands on my behalf, guessing I wasn't in front of my computer. And Ubi sold it to me indeed.

Reading the facts here above, leads me to tell you:

- I know how you feel getting a first genuine Rolex but please, chill out, step back and don't buy a second one now.

You might regret it.

I will try to sell my second one because my dream was to own one finaly and that a rep of the 16570 would be good enough for me.

- I still remember how exited I was, how I pretended to myself "wow that 16600 is so much better than the rep"

Here is how I feel after 7 months: ok, well it's a genuine but would I prefer a genuine 16600 or the 1665 Trilogy I build with my blood and MM skills