When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Mamma Mia

KB

I have a confession to make.............I have always been a closet ABBA fan :o

I have heard it said before that it takes a big man to admit he is an ABBA fan, yet when you talk super groups surly ABBA is right up there near the top?

A figure that even I found surprising popped up the other day.....and I quote..

26 years after they split up they are still one of the world's best-selling bands, selling 3 million albums a year.

The takings from both the Movie and stage musical have been phenomenal which suggests I can't be the only guythat loves their songs.

However I am still to see either of the above productions, a big reason for this is my wife (who grew up in Fiji) has never heard of ABBA and my daughter (still only 6) is only just starting to get the bug........could be because daddy is teaching her the songs. :whistling:

So anyway my question is who has seen either the stage play or the movie and just how good is it?

Ken

Takes a REAL man to admit this....I like the music too..very unique , and happy tunes..

My wife and I saw the musical on Broadway..a real treat and boy did we have flackbacks of the 70's.. :D

We're taking our daughters next week to see the new movie..hope its as good as the stage!

Your family will love it, its very very well done.

Enjoy.

I have a confession to make.............I have always been a closet ABBA fan :o

I have heard it said before that it takes a big man to admit he is an ABBA fan, yet when you talk super groups surly ABBA is right up there near the top?

A figure that even I found surprising popped up the other day.....and I quote..

The takings from both the Movie and stage musical have been phenomenal which suggests I can't be the only guythat loves their songs.

However I am still to see either of the above productions, a big reason for this is my wife (who grew up in Fiji) has never heard of ABBA and my daughter (still only 6) is only just starting to get the bug........could be because daddy is teaching her the songs. :whistling:

So anyway my question is who has seen either the stage play or the movie and just how good is it?

Ken

Takes a REAL man to admit this....I like the music too..very unique , and happy tunes..

Look; its fun happy pappy disco music but I wouldn't call it unique, in fact I would actually call it very generic. I like some of their songs but not all of them. I think Modern Talking and Bad Boys Blue are a lot better Euro alternatives.

I don't want to engage in a fight about this, though. I know there are die-hard fans and I can certainly respect that. Different strokes for different folks.

I liked them in the 70s when they were poppy and I was a kid, but these days, the reason I'd watch Mamma Mia would be Amanda Seyfried.

Having seen her ... um, performances as Lily in Veronica Mars or hot girl in an ep of House, I'm sure I'll not get many who disagree. Let's just say she wouldn't blow over in a strong wind and leave it at that.

Come on guys... two facts here:

1. ABBA SUCKS THE BIG GREEN DONKEY DICK OF THE UNIVERSE!

2. That's what the middle age does to you... you start to like ABBA. What's next... Barry Manilow? I hope I die before I get old!

There, I said it.

I put some System of a Down and Porcupine Tree into my CD player now. Talk to you later you old farts!

:D

Ok, seriously this time... Bjorn and Benny were/are good songwriters. You can't deny that. They wrote some pop classics, you can't deny that, either. Agnetha and Frida are good performers, decent female singers.

But for me ABBA is just something I can't listen to anymore. Those songs have been on the radio every day since the 70's... always the same songs, always the same flavor(less) chewing gum. Being from Scandinavia, they have been "present" all the time here... and being 36 years old I grew up with those songs (whether I liked them or not).

I mean enough is enough... they're simple and rather cheesy pop songs, not any real depth in them. I simply don't understand how ABBA suddenly became "great", when they were always considered camp in the eighties and seventies. What happened? It's nostalgia, that's what happened. The music didn't change... the mainstream pop music got even crappier though.

This, of course, isn't gospel... just my opinion. :)

Listening to Abba is like being trapped in a broom closet with a garlic-breathed, greasy-haired, sweaty-armpitted professor lecturing on post-structuralist analysis of John Laws's poetry. Throw in fingernails being dragged down a chalkboard , a couple of feral cats mating and a really loud diesel truck, coupled with a pack of rabid hyenas fighting over a fresh kill.

That about sums it up for me. But to each his own. :bad:

Listening to Abba is like being trapped in a broom closet with a garlic-breathed, greasy-haired, sweaty-armpitted professor lecturing on post-structuralist analysis of John Laws's poetry. Throw in fingernails being dragged down a chalkboard , a couple of feral cats mating and a really loud diesel truck, coupled with a pack of rabid hyenas fighting over a fresh kill.

That about somes it up for me. But to each his own. :bad:

So a 'closet' fan then? ;) Some perverts would pay good money for that experience I'm sure. Especially the hyenas. :D

Sorry but I'm with BT on this - if you like ABBA and you have a penis then you're either confused sexually, or are a nostalgic old fart. Possibly both.

Interesting to see how the Swedes relate to them though - last time I was in Stockholm, was walking across Stadsholmen and there was this royal/military brass band marching about and blasting out ABBA hits. My GF loved it, I just cringed. Then there's the fact that one of the two guys owns a hotel in the south of the city which looks as kitsch and cheesy as you imagine it would - clearly proud of his "musical" fame. But then of the two women, isn't one some diplomat's wife these days embarrassed by her past, whilst the other has psychological issues and lives as a recluse in a remote forest cabin? Says it all really....

But then of the two women, isn't one some diplomat's wife these days embarrassed by her past, whilst the other has psychological issues and lives as a recluse in a remote forest cabin? Says it all really....

Wasn't one of them supposed to die? I seem to remember an enduring urban myth about that.

Another thing that always amazes me when people talk about pop music... they bring these sales figures like they gave the music some additional "substance". You see this everywhere. And I'm talking generally... not about people in this thread.

How many albums did the most talented and musically adventurous rock bands ever, like Mahavishnu Orchestra sell... or Camel, or King Crimson? Compared to ABBA and Britney Spears... or New Kids on the Block and the rap clowns?

I don't know and I don't really care... but those figures must be ridiculously low. Artistic success and commercial success are two different things, and they rarely go hand in hand. Just look at the charts and MTV and see what kind of garbage is selling millions, it's simply amazing... and it tells absolutely nothing about the quality of music.

Madonna is selling millions and millions... people call her an "all around artist", and she can't even sing or act properly. Then the kids watch the MTV Awards, listen to all those talentless dorks and their "hit of the month" ...then they buy it because they're sheep.

Of course ABBA is million times better than these charlatans, but still... not everything is measured in money, at least not yet.

Thank God. :)

My, my...a lot of old men clearly in denial here ;)

According to whom? ;)

Well... according to almost all rock musicians and real musician related media in the world.

check Wikipedia for:

John McLaughlin

Tony Levin

Bill Bruford

Billy Cobham

Jan Hammer

Robert Fripp

for starters. :) All incredible musicians by ANY standards, and also universally regarded as such. McLaughlin was Jimmy Page's guitar teacher.

Come on guys... two facts here:

1. ABBA SUCKS THE BIG GREEN DONKEY [censored] OF THE UNIVERSE!

2. That's what the middle age does to you... you start to like ABBA. What's next... Barry Manilow? I hope I die before I get old!

There, I said it.

I put some System of a Down and Porcupine Tree into my CD player now. Talk to you later you old farts!

:D

More like system of a down syndrome, which is what the musicians in that band appear to have. Porcupine Tree is just hillbilly crap.

Porcupine Tree is just hillbilly crap.

A progressive/psychedelic rock band from England is "Hillbilly crap"? Ah well... ok. :shock:

What are Garth Brooks and Kenny Chesney then? Heavy metal? :D

My.......or as ABBA would say MY MY.........I have hit a hornets nest here haven't I? :lol:

Hey I'm willing to admit to being middle aged but that's not my attraction to ABBA, having played professionally for many years in Jazz, Big Band, Orchestral and as an amateur in my countries best A grade Brass Bands I am not without a modicum of musical appreciation.

I love a very wide range of different musical styles but everything I love must have the basis of very good music, intonation is important as is chordal structure and ABBA has that in spades, lyrics are of less importance and this is a point that many miss, opera is loved the world over by millions who can't understand a word of what is sung.

The Beatles were simplistic, even primitive, by today's standards but are still played to death on radio stations around the world, why? Because people want and love simple melodic tunes.....ever tried to whistle Bohemian Rhapsody? This is what ABBA also delivers.

I said in the opening post that I am an ABBA fan, I don't have a problem admitting that I also like Air Supply (not sure about the gay comment as I don't connect sexually with bands) and the original Seekers, however I also have a big thing for Piotr Ilyitch Tchaikovsky and then almost everything in between....Billy Joel is another favourite....this was never meant to be a who is the best discussion.....I just wanted to know about a stage play and a movie...that has grossed over 2 Billion dollars worldwide thus far.

Ken

They were not so bad in the end...

But I still prefer Van Der Graaf Generator or Beethoven. :lol: