When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Forum/server maintenance summary

Admin

A little behind schedule, but things should be "finished"

This is what has been done today;

Forum

Security upgrades performed

Report feature fixed so that it works for all members

Forum images moved to a separate site/IP on the forum server- The effect of this is that instead of opening 1 connection to the forum, your browser will now open 2 connections to the forum; 1 to the forum files and another one to get the images. Two separate processes serving content will provide parallel processing, utilizing our multi-core processors and your browser loads 2 connections faster than 1.

Server

Hardware upgraded - Our server was over a year old. Prices has now dropped on new equipment, so we now get a more powerful processor and more RAM, without paying more.

Software/DB optimization (ongoing process) - This is where the biggest focus has been. Server and DB has been optimized. Due to increased computing power, I have added more indexes to the databases, to speed up data fetching. Further utilizing of PHP acceleration. Instead of loading and compiling PHP scripts, the compiled PHP scripts are now cached (kept in the server memory) and serves up pages faster.

The process of optimizing the database will take about a week, but this should not be noticeable to the members except that the site/pages will load faster.

Search engine optimized further. The entire database is now re-indexed every 15 minutes and this takes less than 10 seconds!! :o

FYI: there are some backup processes, etc. currently running in the background right now that are rather processor intensive, so it will take a couple of hours until the forum will be up to it's regular speed!

FYI: there are some backup processes, etc. currently running in the background right now that are rather processor intensive, so it will take a couple of hours until the forum will be up to it's regular speed!

Speed seems just as great on my side...

T, thanks once again for constantly keeping our forum tiptop...

....So, do we get back our ratings system, now that you've upgraded the processor & RAM?? :p

Great work. Impressive that the dB is indexed in 10 sec. Out of curiosity....what is the size of the dB and which dB is RWG on?

Cheers

The forum DB is just above 1GB. The forum is running on a MySQL database with a combination of InnoDB/MyIsam/Memory(Heap) table types, depending on what the different tables do and how much they are used. But when it comes to the search engine, keep in mind that it only indexes the posts and topic tables. These are about 800MB and I just tested it now, while we seem to have the regular amount of users online. It re-created the post/topic index in 14 seconds. So it's doing a decent job :)

Two separate processes serving content will provide parallel processing, utilizing our multi-core processors and your browser loads 2 connections faster than 1.

Clever gibberish. :)

What you actually mean is you've got the equivalent of two hamsters running through tubes carrying bits of cards. One is carrying pictures, the other is carrying words. Because both hamsters use different habitrails, they don't get caught in a queue behind the slowest hamster.

Software/DB optimization (ongoing process) - This is where the biggest focus has been. Server and DB has been optimized. Due to increased computing power, I have added more indexes to the databases, to speed up data fetching. Further utilizing of PHP acceleration. Instead of loading and compiling PHP scripts, the compiled PHP scripts are now cached (kept in the server memory) and serves up pages faster.

One word: memcached. Learn it, use it, love it.

What you actually mean is you've got the equivalent of two hamsters running through tubes carrying bits of cards. One is carrying pictures, the other is carrying words. Because both hamsters use different habitrails, they don't get caught in a queue behind the slowest hamster.

Well, that's another way of putting it ;)

One word: memcached. Learn it, use it, love it.

I use eAccelerator on this server. Basically no difference in performance between memcache and eAccelerator with our current setup. On a bigger setup, with more servers and more RAM to use, there's no doubt what I would have used ;)

I use eAccelerator on this server. Basically no difference in performance between memcache and eAccelerator with our current setup. On a bigger setup, with more servers and more RAM to use, there's no doubt what I would have used ;)

That's all right then. :)