When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Would you trade in all of your reps/frankens for 1 gen dream watch?

freddy333

While gazing at Ubi's tagline ('quality over quantity') as I was responding to his post about our addition to watches/reps, I began thinking about the amount of money I have tied up in my Daytona collection (let's not even get into the non-Daytonas)

hangingdaytonas005906o1.jpg

1stwrist014c1.jpg

(This 1 did not make the picture above)

It suddenly dawned on me that for the money I spent to construct these 8 watches, I could have bought 1 new gen Daytona 116520 (with a good chunk of scratch left over) or a pre-owned Daytona 116509. Knowing that, the obvious follow-up question is whether I would have been happier with the 1 gen than I am with these reps/frankens? I then started to search through some old threads where a few members announced their decision to sell off all or significant portions of their large rep/franken collections in order to transition over to a smaller number of gens; or, at least, to re-establish their collection around a much smaller, gen-centric theme.

Having considered both sides of the question & after much thought I have come to the conclusion that I made the right decision in the 1st place. My reasoning is this -- as the overall quality of reps have improved, so have my watchsmithing skills. Most of the Daytonas in my collection will easily pass my benchmark for plausibility in that, when viewed with the naked eye from the distance of about an arm's length, they look & function, for all intents & purposes, like gens. While knowing that I am always wearing a watch which would pass the muster of the most scholarly professional Rolex appraiser armed with a loupe & a Rolex caseback remover would be nice (assuming I went for the single gen), I am quite confident that I can wear most of these watches into just about any real-world environment with complete confidence.

So the answer, for me at least, is no. I would not trade all of my reps/frankens in for 1 gen.

The longer I collect watches (any watches), the more I find my tastes getting more refined, or some would say "focused". I've got two gen PAMs and one very nice "super rep" quality PAM rep. Since buying my two gens, I've had lots of reps come and go, but most haven't gotten any wrist time.

My Corum Admirals Cup that I just picked up from "mwee" with ETA day/datewheels and Jakub's double AR is a strong contender for a keeper.

Having said that, I wouldn't trade either of my gen PAMs for a half-dozen or so modified reps.

freddy, I understand completely where you're coming from. I think there are a number of us here in the same boat, but as I have said before, I think it is the chase that makes this hobby enjoyable for us. Like yourself, I could have bought at least one or two new gen daytonas. However...

Unless someone had a loupe, and a factory reference book...

;)

...even then

;)

Hmmmmm... For me.... I think the answer is 'No' :) At least, for my frankensteins.

It's not the amount of money that I have into my projects, but the time and experience. I've put a lot into each of my frankies; as such I've grown sentimentally attached to them all :wub:

IMG_0564.jpg

IMG_0567.jpg

IMG_0573.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg

For my reps... I really only have one left; my Patek Nautilus:

IMG_3696.jpg

And of course, I can't let go of the SM300...

IMG_0241.jpg

So, I guess if I were offered one watch for my collection, I'd have to turn it down. Besides... One needs a little variety in life, right?

:)

I'm one whose sold all his reps for a gen. I only had 3 reps at the time, and still needed to save for a bit to get my gen Speedy Pro. However, I have been wearing it as a daily wearer (with a beater Seiko 5), and have loved it. The fit, finish, feel of a gen is always topnotch, and you never have to nitpick. There are drawbacks... I get really worried when I'm somewhere sketchy, but hey, at least it's not a shiny Rolex. The gen forums are quite fun.

HOWEVER,

My rep addiction is back in full swing. I crave some variety in my styles of watches. I had a rep Speedy before I got the gen, and as many often say, I can "demo" high end watches, and the ones that I like I can consider buying. But watches like a Sub are best kept to reps, IMHO, I wouldn't like always being asked if it's a fake. Your average Joe knows there's faux-lexes, but not too many know there are fake IWCs, though they are of similar price ranges.

To be honest, I am a bit young (early 20s) and still in school to own five multi-thousand dollar watches. With only one nice watch, it's not that implausible, but someone my age rotating six watches is a bit ridiculous. Now, I only have my gen and beater, but I have a Noobmariner and IWC 3717 on the way, and am looking for a Seiko SKX007 for a rugged tool watch--it's an incredible value and less than the price of all the reps we talk about today. That's a jump start to a little collection, but I'm really only going to wear the Sub and 3717 at home. That might be weird, but I think people might wonder about them, and I don't want to attract the wrong kind of attention, which the Speedy might do to some degree. At least it's not a Rolex, huH? My plan is to wait until I get a decent paying job before I break them out, and stagger them, of course.

Man oh man, I love watches.

A month ago I would have said yes. I sold all my reps and purchased a gen Rolex 16610 submariner and a Montblanc Timewalker. A month later I have sold the Rolex and traded the Montblanc. I get bored easily with watches, theres so much variety and what with reps being so good these days Id rather pay a fraction of the price of a gen and have a few choice super reps and one mid price gen. I have an Omega PO arriving later today :)

Most definitely. I would go for a dream gen and sell most of my rep (note that I will keep the at least a best one :-) ) without hesitation.

Respectively to our modding skills and knack, and all the passion and fun we've channelled our time into it, no rep are as good as a gen. You can't pass on a rep to your son. Sorry to be frank on this.

Whatever your decision is, good luck on your purchase Freddy. A dream gen is a must imo...

You've got the sickest collection there! A++ man! :good:

Having already tried this in the past, I'd definitively have to say NO. My grial list seems to change with the seaons and the last time I got my grail in hand it only took an entire week for me to start looking elsewhere. I'm not married, but I'm worried as this might rear it's ugly head again. My married buddies tell me that this probably won't happen as unlike grail watches women hit back. :p

Very unlikely. I am generally a fickle minded person. I have polar opposites professional career and leisurely pursuits. I always want a decent watch to be on my wrists regardless of the occasion. Thus 1 gen will never do. To top it, what's to say if your gen dream watch no longer stays your dream watch especially with all the new models coming out.

My gen collection is modest, IWC dopplechrono (older version, smaller case), Seiko monster and a Tag Monaco. Am working towards a gen IWC Port 7 days or maybe an Omega. It just does not have the range for all occasions. The monetary investment is real. Its like having the No. 1 draft pick in the NFL. You better not screw up.

My rep collection; PAM 183, PAM 111, PAM 113, PAM 127, Skyland and the Slevin. Just sold the IWC Port Chrono. The list is only limited by how much disposable income I have. Dont have to think twice when pulling the trigger. Not so with a gen.

Again, I treat rep collection as a hobby and as with any other hobby, its expensive with no apparent tangible benefits. Made some friends on the boards, acquired some modding skills and a better understanding of the watches.

In short, No. Not even to purchase a gen dream watch. Don't think its enough anyways. lol... Feel free to disagree

I believe that we create our own reality in our thoughts. I happen to think that reps are good enough to give me the feeling I want to have. I can experience positive emotions and thoughts without having to fork out the big cash that gens would set me back. For me life has moved on to having experiences and it is no longer about acquiring things to gain positive emotions. Its a good place for me right now. I am not saying others who think differently are wrong ... this is just my own philosophy and the point I have come to today. Tomorrow, next month or next year I may think differently but for now i am happy with my reps and would not trade them for any one gen. Cheers

Hrmm... hard question... I'd kill for a UN Freak. (seriously... if you need someone wacked and have a UN Freak to offer... PM me. :bleh::p;) )

But... I'd be giving up a pretty good selection of watches from the grungiest everyday beaters to nice dressy watches that look great when I get all dressed up....

I suppose I'd trade all my reps for my "grail"... but I'd be in the market for a new rep collection pretty quickly to replace a few of my lost gems... IWC GST TI, Pam 187, Pam 127, Pam 186, Omega 45mmPO, IWC 3717.... the rest of my reps I could do without.

On second thought, I'll keep my current collection of watches... I'd need a new wardrobe, car, house, wife and such to pull off the UN Freak.

Guest carlsbadrolex

This is not even a consideration for me... There is no way that I would give up all of my reps. And I cant even determine what my "dream watch" would be.

I cant fathom the idea of wearing the same watch every day.

I dunno... I'm down to 3 reps now and I'm pretty happy with how the rest of the collection is shaping up. :tu:

I might be persuaded for a vintage Fifty Fathoms though.............. :wub:

gigandet.jpg

superman4.jpg

po_size4.jpg

trio.jpg

Currently I'm in the process of selling off some non-modded reps to finance a gen PAM111. Then I would have 4 gens and 3 highly modded reps. Enough watches and variety to fill up a whole week ;)

However, in case of your Daytona collection and Ubi's frankens I think the time and research you guys have put in them adds so much value that selling them off for a gen wouldn't give that much satisfaction.

I personally did it... but the other way around..

Bought my favourite genuine watch (the 112) while having all my frankens/reps.

And then I just couldn't take it off my wrist for any of the others so I sold them. ^_^

Having just bought a gen Breitling Super Avenger I can tell you that there is no rep in the world that feels the same way as a gen does. Everything on a gen is quality and made to the highest specs and no rep ever will compete. I have owned both a franken SA and the new SA and in no way do they compare to my new gen at all.

Sold pretty much all of my reps and it was fun while it lasted but for me I'm kinda bored with the whole scene now.

yea, if I was allowed to continue to buy eventually buy more reps. at this point i guess its safe to assume we are talking about ANY gen and there are some hot gens out there. i personally want this

http://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/11/allme...cal-digita.html its about half a million bucks and ultra rare with only 177 made, plus i like the way it looks. that or a gen hublot bb black magic.