When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is That The Big Pilot?

alant

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for those who hesitate buying this one should take a look at this one

Debaufre Nav-B Uhr - watch that is sold out - but now available on the 2nd hand market for a nice price (in the range of super reps)

they sell in the 500$ range usually..this one goes for 375$

http://forums.timezone.com/index.php?t=tre...37106&rid=0

will that one have a manual wind movement (6497/98)...if so, aren't this mvt's with center seconds expensive ones?

Where did Tourby say that he was making a 6497/6498 center seconds watch? That is one that I'd love to see as well, but I thought he always argued against this movement as being too expensive...

The only options that I've seen for this beautiful movement are the limited edition Stienhart, and the Stowa FO, both priced at about 1100-1200 Eur. (There's also the Chronoswiss, in a completely different price range).

While the Big Pilot has helped me to fall in love with the flieger style, I am not getting this for a few reasons: The first is that I don't like this style nearly as much as the 5004. It's also just way too big for my 6.75" wrist (original fliegers were 55mm, and meant to be worn on the outside of flight jackets...Modern reproductions have mostly been scaled down to 47mm, but it's still too big for me). Finally, the rep is frankly not good enough to feel comfortable wearing as a representation of a $12,000 watch! (I felt the same way about the FA Jones...It just wasn't good enough, and I didn't feel totally comfortable wearing it.) This is a popular watch, which will command a lot of scrutiny...

After looking at everything on the market, I decided to go with a home-built Germasian flieger alternative. I found an excellent source for parts on eBay, and I'm just waiting for the following to arrive:

German 42mm stainless steel case, with diamond flieger crown, and sapphire crystal with double-sided AR

541c_3.JPG

Navigation style dial and handset for Unitas 6498, both with Superluminova

62a3_1.JPG

Decorated Seagull 3620 movement (Unitas 6498 clone)

0d6f_1.JPG

I plan to throw a Steinhart strap on this, and end up with an excellent quality, self-made watch for less than $250!

Guest hoopty
I expected to have it today or tomorrow but now tracking started to work and it says it was shipped today!

Damn.

Dang it I am waiting to see another one of your very beautiful pictorial reviews, to help me decide.

don't you want to yell at the Postal workers when they jus drag their butts.. this item was supposed to be delivered in the am .. if you look at the time it came out of customs !!!

Oh well this afternoon.. this means it's going to be a long day.. I was hoping to post so the EU guy's could catch it before night.. so when y'all get up it will hopefully be posted.. :rolleyes:

Label/Receipt Number: EB08 XXXX 312C N

Detailed Results:

Processed, August 28, 2008, 8:38 am, HONOLULU, HI 96820

Inbound Out of Customs, August 27, 2008, 11:29 am

Inbound Into Customs

Inbound International Arrival, August 27, 2008, 3:11 am, LOS ANGELES

Foreign International Dispatch, August 26, 2008, 12:33 am, GUANGZHOU EMS, CHINA PEOPLES REP

Origin Post is Preparing Shipment

Foreign Acceptance, August 25, 2008, 9:41 pm

By request, here are a few quick-n-dirties of my new Germasian flieger. I received the parts today, with a couple of small problems: I received an "onion" style crown, instead of the requested "diamond" style. Also, I had asked for the mid-case section to be brushed, but it was received polished. Nothing that kept me from throwing it all together as soon as I opened the package ;)

img3682az4.jpg

img3674xi1.jpg

Here's a lume shot (0.5 second exposure)

img3688ro1.jpg

Overall, the quality of this piece is outstanding! The case is particularly well made - 3 pieces, with a screw-in bezel. The pedigree of the maker is remarkable. I'm going to take the opportunity to build a couple more with his parts: a silver guilloche dial, and a white enamel, both with blued steel hands.

I'm still waiting for a Steinhart Marone Old Vintage strap. Once everything is together, I'll take some better pictures, and give it it's own thread...