When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is That The Big Pilot?

alant

Guess what, saw from PC site pics of the big pilot! Looks like we are getting real close! Any comments so far from the pics? Seems that the brand name is a bit too high up. However, there are quite a few models from this series so not sure if its correct. ;)

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just about to start a thread with the same subject :)

This is a rep of the 5002 model. (look at the date window.. framed) Thank God they didn't do the new open back (like the portugeiser)..

Compare to this review. http://www.nuxx.org/reviews/iwc_big_pilot_5002.html

Looks pretty impressive.

Clasp look nicely done. Thick strap too!

We are missing the dimensions, but it looks big compared to the caliber.

Wrong crown, but You can't have it all :)

PS: after further investigation the crown is correct in some variations of this model.

Edited by geo1nah2a

I think this is the copy of the valagranges movement that we have seen in the choppard. (loud rotor)

My questions are after reading Joshuas description on his site and his anouncement of the watch here on RWG

a. "Faux PR", does it move at all, ie does it on a full charge record 7 days but when not worn wind down to 0 in 2 days like the IWC porto?

b. "one peice crown with O ring", is this a screw down or not? with a crown that big it would not be hard to rip it out if it was not screwed down!

c. How is the lume, this should have outstanding lume, i could live with good lume like my railmaster has but this should be outstanding! Josh can we have an honest lume shot please.

I think this is the copy of the valagranges movement that we have seen in the choppard. (loud rotor)

My questions are after reading Joshuas description on his site and his anouncement of the watch here on RWG

a. "Faux PR", does it move at all, ie does it on a full charge record 7 days but when not worn wind down to 0 in 2 days like the IWC porto?

b. "one peice crown with O ring", is this a screw down or not? with a crown that big it would not be hard to rip it out if it was not screwed down!

c. How is the lume, this should have outstanding lume, i could live with good lume like my railmaster has but this should be outstanding! Josh can we have an honest lume shot please.

All good questions Andy. I'll be interested in the answers as well

Looks like a rather nice watch. It will be interesting to see some close-ups of the detail finish.

Seems like the replica has the fish on the crown, not the "Probus Scafusia". But, I suppose it is replicated from an older model? Somehow, I find a fish a bit odd on a Pilot watch.. :/

Engravings on the caseback look a bit shallower than gen, as usual on reps.

But, all in all, a nice watch for a relatively low price. The low-beat 21600 is accurate for the Big Pilot. I had a Chopard Mille Miglia GTXL rep with the Valgranges copy movement, and it was smooth and silent. Asian movements without chronograph are usually cheap and good. :)

A picture of the gen:

05_small.jpg

I have had an answer from Josh but he has asked me not to post his answer,(dont know why) he says if you have questions you should ask him your self so here is his email addy and ask away perfect88clones@gmail.com, but from his answers i will NOT be buying one, the points that i asked about had to many negetive answers.

Guest Sql_pl

I went for it.

It was a funny purchase actually.

I was rushing for a meeting with friends, got here to see if I have any PMs that need a fast answer or sth and the Big Pilot topic got my attention at main page of the forum.

Bang-bang trigger pulled, even without opening all pictures at Josh's website.

My first purchase like this,

But I think I will like it.

We will see!

I see they repped the 5002 version which is sort of surprising. They probably bought a used one as the new ones have been scarce for some time now. In fact the whole IWC line has been really - especially the BP though for the last year. Anyway, I had the gen 5004 and as nice as it was it wasn't for me only because of the size really. It was a great watch though and fitted with the best movement IWC makes. If it were 44MM or less I would probably still have it. Visually the rep looks pretty good, and while I'm obviously not a potential buyer of the rep I would be concerned about the movement if I were of course. But hey, for a couple hundred bucks it beats twelve grand for the gen. I say if it breaks it breaks. It seems from the pics it is a well constructed watch on par with the Steelfish or GMTII in that regard. I'll be interested to read how it is when the first owners report in.

Yeah you are dead right about that, it really is a fine hunk of steel Dani. It is just purely luxurious - and you know a lot of IWC watches are not. I have an Aquatimer and the build quality is OK, but to be fair it is the worst of all gens in my main box. Meanwhile the new Jubilee Vintage Aquatimer is world class like the BP. IWC is spotty like that.

I wish the BP were 44MM as I would still have it. I felt like Sponge Bob wearing it. I don't want to open this can of worms, but I for one think physical stature is more important to how a watch wears and wrist size is nearly unimportant. I'm 5'8" and 160 and athletic - but I'm a small dude. Meanwhile I have 7 1/2" wrists. By contrast, I can make a Datejust look plenty big even though my wrists are large. Go figure. Huge watches just look silly on me.

I like the new 5004 more then this 5002.

The gen of the 5004 is such a quality build watch its amazing winds like butter and feels expensive even if it has a "simple" look..

I like the 5004 more than the 5002, still with the open back displaying THE 7 day caliber, there shall be no rep doing it justice.

I would love to have a fantasy rep, made out of this 5002 but with the 5004 dial/hands/date window/crown. I the 5002 face doesn't sing to me :)

iwc-5004-01.jpg

Looking forwards to the first reviews :)