When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

The Allure of the Vintage Timepieces

lanikai

All I know is I love the Vintage Look.. not only in watches,.. but also ~ Automobiles ~.... Well, the list could go on and on ...

It is in part because of the History and stories behind every object... but I keep asking myself ... Is that all.. now I am not a wiz with the vocabulary as some members have this gift..

so tell me what is the attraction with You ... some of the most beautiful vintage pieces have been posted by the Rolex Men... Tribal.. Jojo ... Ubi... Laz.. Toomuchgear....

More pics would be appreciated as I NEVER tire of them

thanks in advance

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

There's just something about the simplicity and charm of a watch that was designed in a different era.

Matte dials, plain luminous markers applied directly to the dial... The acrylic crystals... There's just something about the warmth and character of a vintage that a modern iteration just can't caputre...

Some past and present over the years....

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

204_0466.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Matte dials, plain luminous markers applied directly to the dial... The acrylic crystals... There's just something about the warmth and character of a vintage that a modern iteration just can't caputre...

ubi, i think you hit it right on the head. i think the reason i like vintage rolex better (in general), is because the acrylic crystals have a much 'warmer' feel than their shiny modern counterparts.

deltatahoe

Funny you should post this just now. I just finished up a review of one of the coolest retro watches I've seen. It's an homage to the Heuer Camero and Autivia chronographs of the late 60s and early 70s. Very, very cool vintage looking watch (with vintage parts, no less).

There's just something about the simplicity and charm of a watch that was designed in a different era.

Some past and present over the years....

IMG_0209.jpg

IMG_2600.jpg

IMG_3716.jpg

204_0466.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

Let's see if I can come up with a couple for you...

bond_sub_midnight_2.jpg

three.jpg

It is becoming clearer in my minds eye.. what I feel is just the "flowing lines" of the vintage models... the modern or the millenium era timepieces feel much more "Rigid" in design.. that would not stop me from admiring them.. but the eclectic look of yester~years designs really stir the "mystique" in my psyche... like the designs of the jewelers when alot of the gems were inlayed or bright cut into the metal .. especially the Italian artisans..

what ever the case may be I can admire these pics all day into tomorrow.. and never tire of them

Thanks Nanuq ... Ubi... I'm staring to leave the scrathes in my pexi crystals .. I don't think I'll submit them to the coins .. but let them age natually by not polishing the "battle scars" off.. :D

Here's a quick quiz for the eagle-eyes... what other beloved vintage piece do I see when I look at that LeJour Superman?

Look closely at that bezel, insert, crystal and crown.

Here's a quick quiz for the eagle-eyes... what other beloved vintage piece do I see when I look at that LeJour Superman?

Look closely at that bezel, insert, crystal and crown.

Hmmmm.. When I look at the LeJour, I see a number of other pieces...

BP Fifty Fathoms

Seiko 62MAS

Even a little Omega SMP300...

Ubi probably summed it up best with the word "Character"; the pantina of the dial and hands that come with time, the imperfection with tritium indices, a faded bezel and the classic lines. Not the how glitzy, shiny, bulky and how busy can we design a watch today.

Here's smorgasbord pix for ya..

DSCN5335.jpg