When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it wrong to lie?

Rxus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

Be honest.Never a good thing to start a potential good relationship on a lie, no matter how small or insignificant it might seem. ;)

Yes, I find when I say I am a Kennedy it doesn't take long enough for the ladies to realize I am not! :p

Ok lets see.

For starters he is not a rude man and did not ask me the price, his brother was in the same room (he is not into watches one bit and walks around with some sort of JCPenny Bulova two tone..

Well that guy threw out the comment that watchcollecting is an expensive hobby..and me without putting to much thought into my words said "yeah this skyland is about 2800" those were my exact words (translated to english of course, becasue this conversation was in spanish)

All in all I can pull off a more expensive Gen watch, but i happened to be wearing this one in possibly the wrong crowd and at the wrong moment.

But again thank you for your kind and helpfull words

If you are going to have a continuing relationship with this man you will have to come clean sooner or later, you know that you're going to keep discussing watches and you will have to keep a large part of your collecting life (reps) a secret, and that's stressful.

So might as well fess up and assume he won't look down on you for buying reps, that's all you can do.

Maybe you can even turn him onto reps and our forum here, wouldn't that be cool?

If you are going to have a continuing relationship with this man you will have to come clean sooner or later, you know that you're going to keep discussing watches and you will have to keep a large part of your collecting life (reps) a secret, and that's stressful.

So might as well fess up and assume he won't look down on you for buying reps, that's all you can do.

Maybe you can even turn him onto reps and our forum here, wouldn't that be cool?

Well i'm certain i will see him many times before the years over and well hopefully more often for the personal reasons I already mentioned, but he does buy some reps, what they are excatly I cannot say as I have not seen them, maybe the Timewalker GMT he flashed at me was a rep..who knows?

And Fakemaster, you can rest assured that I will come clean, we share an admiration of timepieces not so much their declared value.

Ah to hell with coming clean - it's not like any person would care one way or another, they have a million more important things to give a shit about. I think some of the other posts have misread that this is your fiance's family, rather than a mate's.

Just introduce him to some of your other reps.

And interestingly, folk know my watches are reps - but I don't tell them the price. And it's not because I think they'll be impressed by the 'savings', it's because I know they'll think I'm a total retard for spending that much on a fake watch. :p

Okay, you can all get back to your Dr Phil love-in now... :animal_rooster:

Two days ago I was sitting on the couch watching some dumb arsed reality TV show about Million Dollar Real Estate in SoCal. One of the realtors drives a black AMG 55 and had been wearing an AP ROO.

About 20 minutes in to the show, I got a glimpse of the watch... SECONDS AT 9 FOLKS... YEP, its an MBW seconds at nine!!!

He made over $120k commissions on a sale during this episode and blew $700 on two pair of shoes BUT he wears a replica AP.

This doesn't surprise me really - I'm not exactly rich but I'm not exactly poor either; I'd never spend much on any watch, no matter how much money I had.

Besides, buy that $800 super rep, save $20k and put it towards an M5 or pay my mortgage off - good economics!

TeeJay,

I was going to ask that question (or do a lot of reading) as to how folks answer when people ask "is it fake" I like your answer and it was exactly what I was thinking to say. It is rude to ask that question, and if necessary I would have no reservations about saying its a rep.

Thanks for that.

No problem. In previous discussions on the topic of what to say if called out, there have been all kinds of responses, from immediately saying it's a rep (the second someone asks what it is) to all kinds of elaborate stories about winning big on the craps tables. As mentioned above, honesty is something very important to me. However, privacy, or, more importantly, my privacy is even more important to me. If I choose to share something with someone, then fine, but with some situations, I just feel that the person does not have the right to the information they are asking. (If that is indeed what they are asking :lol: ) For example. Someone notices the watch on my wrist, and says "What's that?" (other than obviously being a watch :lol: ) As far as I'm concerned, it's a Panerai. That's what it says on the dial, caseback, clasp sections etc. It might be a rep Panerai rather than a gen Panerai, but, that is not what the person was asking... If someone was wearing a gen watch, they would not say "It's a genuine Panerai.", that would just come across as arrogant. So, in the same vein, I don't see why I should automatically tag 'rep' onto the watch, just because someone has asked what it is. If someone knows the tells, they will know it's a rep. If they don't know, chances are they don't care, so why use the label of rep... Now, if someone were to ask if it was real or not, then nine times out of ten, I would explain that it was a rep, but also explain the origins of contemporary reps and gens... That would be if the person was genuinely interested in watches, and asking about the watch out of genuine interest. If it was someone trying to be obnoxious, then I would likely ignore the question, or reply "What does it matter?" or "That's none of your business..." Yes, they would be correct, it is a rep, but, if they're only trying to call me out to be an ass (which has never happened) then why dignify their behaviour with the response they want? If they want to assume it's a rep, that's up to them. Equally, if someone was to ask "Is it a fake?" after we'd had the discussions about brand history etc, then I would immediately say that it was, because I would know that they were genuinely interested in the answer, rather than just trying to put me down :lol:

Ah to hell with coming clean - it's not like any person would care one way or another, they have a million more important things to give a shit about. I think some of the other posts have misread that this is your fiance's family, rather than a mate's.

Just introduce him to some of your other reps.

And interestingly, folk know my watches are reps - but I don't tell them the price. And it's not because I think they'll be impressed by the 'savings', it's because I know they'll think I'm a total retard for spending that much on a fake watch. :p

Okay, you can all get back to your Dr Phil love-in now... :animal_rooster:

I read that the OP mentioned that this man has another daughter, who happens to be single. I'm no mathmegician, but even I can do that math ;)

This doesn't surprise me really - I'm not exactly rich but I'm not exactly poor either; I'd never spend much on any watch, no matter how much money I had.

Besides, buy that $800 super rep, save $20k and put it towards an M5 or pay my mortgage off - good economics!

Precicely :good:

Personally I wouldn't come clean. It might make him think you are the type of person who is willing to tell white lies. Now don't take this the wrong way, we all buy reps, we're all living the lie :) He thinks it gen so run with it. He is very unlikely to spot it is a rep, and why would he have any reason to think it isn't a gen. This is merely to clean your conscience. Telling the truth in the first place would have been the right thing to do, however admitting it now might be the morally right thing to do, but it doesn't mean it is necessarily the correct decision to make.

You can also still open up to him about reps. Many people, myself included have gens and reps, it's nothing out of the ordinary. I am pretty sure he couldn't give a damn whether it was a rep or a gen, and in going to him and admitting it is a fake, he might think your indecisive (not knowing what to say and then changing your mind), and that you might be covering other things up.

PS If hes a memebr here, I"M SORRY...Sir :D

So thats who you are. MR Rep, I thought I sensed something fishy when I saw your Skyland sonny boy. You should have come clean and told me the truth, with that kind of dishonsty do you really expect my daughter to go out with you or me to consider you a match for her?

sorry dude only kidding, couldnt resist.... hehe

:bicycle:

back to topic: I think now you have lied to him already, get to know him a bit better, talk about his reps and then let it slip with confidence that yours is a rep too!!

Personally I wouldn't come clean. It might make him think you are the type of person who is willing to tell white lies. Now don't take this the wrong way, we all buy reps, we're all living the lie :) He thinks it gen so run with it.

Exactly!

You have started this whole thing with a lie and the ONLY way to resolve or end the issue is with yet ANOTHER LIE!

Do not think that the truth will set you free.... B)

I suggest never wearing the watch ever again....and if he asks you about it (Which he probably will not) you should say that you returned the watch to the seller (And make up a damn good reason why).

Or....you can say that you LOST the watch....fell off your wrist while skiing or something of that nature....

Perhaps you BROKE the watch and found a private buyer who deals with this sort of thing....

At any rate....do not reveal to him that you have lied....he will always be able to use the lie against you and rub it in your face....

You are best off making the watch disappear....and hoping that it never surfaces ever ever again.... :)

"yeah this skyland is about 2800"

Whther the watch is a rep or not you specifically said THIS watch cost 2800.

I disagree. Rxus did not say "this watch", he said "this skyland". As his watch was not a skyland, it was a rep, he could as well being meaning "this model of watch", "a skyland of this kind".

Actually, Rxus did not undoubtly affirm that his watch was a gen. The matter is on the meaning of "this", whether it was a specific "this" (this watch) or a generic "this" ("this model"). Noone else than himself can know it, and maybe not even himself.

I would consider it a lack of precision rather than a blatant lie and would live with it at no or very few conscience problems.

Making the whole thing bigger than it actually is might make the other part wonder about Rxus' mental health more than about his honesty.

I suggest never wearing the watch ever again........

Agreed. Don't wear that watch anymore among your friend and his family in law. Instead listen to Freddy and buy yourself a nice used gen and wear that. If the dad asks what happened to the Skyland, you can say you sold it, show him your new gen watch and ask for the hand of his daughter :lol:.

Never tell him you lied or put things different.

Personally I wouldn't have worn a rep in the first place if you knew that this guy was a watch lover, let alone lie about it.....

Now that you know he owns a few reps as well you could just wear a (good) rep next time and if he asks about it you can just tell him right away it is a rep. If he then asks about your reasons for reps or if you start talking about reps you could just mention that he allready arrived, but you still have to care for your future. That would make him feel respected and show him that you have a balanced attitude about spending money and not just throw out every penny for expensive toys and status symbols. He knows very well that collecting watches is expensive and if you tell him that you feel you allways think twice about spending big money even when you like a nice watch, this won

Edited by Fish

What's the point of wearing a rep and admitting it? I never get that... ALWAYS LIE ABOUT YOUR REP. Eighter that or buy a Swatch/Seiko or the gen counterpart. By admitting it is a rep you not only embarrase yourself but also down-grade your rep from $300 to $50. Cause that's the price that is asscoiated with a rep. Sure, 10 years ago when there were only Canal Street POS reps .... but with the current super reps there is no reason to be honoust anymore, no one will ever tell it's a rep!

Exactly!

You have started this whole thing with a lie and the ONLY way to resolve or end the issue is with yet ANOTHER LIE!

Do not think that the truth will set you free.... B)

I suggest never wearing the watch ever again....and if he asks you about it (Which he probably will not) you should say that you returned the watch to the seller (And make up a damn good reason why).

Or....you can say that you LOST the watch....fell off your wrist while skiing or something of that nature....

Perhaps you BROKE the watch and found a private buyer who deals with this sort of thing....

At any rate....do not reveal to him that you have lied....he will always be able to use the lie against you and rub it in your face....

You are best off making the watch disappear....and hoping that it never surfaces ever ever again.... :)

You don't need to dig yourself deeper and deeper. You have talked about the watch, I can't see that the watch is now going to be the central point of every discussion. Even a watch fanatic won't keep asking questions about the same watch. Now that you have established some common ground it is likely you will talk about watches, but there is no reason for an in depth discussion of 'wow those lume dots look shoddy' Just wear it less, and wear a couple of reps, and when the topic crops up tell him that the one you are now wearing is a rep. He wont question you about the Skyland if you're honest about the opthers being reps.

What's the point of wearing a rep and admitting it? I never get that... ALWAYS LIE ABOUT YOUR REP. Eighter that or buy a Swatch/Seiko or the gen counterpart. By admitting it is a rep you not only embarrase yourself but also down-grade your rep from $300 to $50. Cause that's the price that is asscoiated with a rep. Sure, 10 years ago when there were only Canal Street POS reps .... but with the current super reps there is no reason to be honoust anymore, no one will ever tell it's a rep!

Because if you lie about your rep, and you come across someone that knows its a rep, you look like an @rse.

Edited by b16a2

I would have said its a rep from the beginning, but now that the lie has been told, I'd just forget about it. Nothing more needs to be said, and this guy will never be the wiser. In the next year you will likely move on to several new watches, and you can be honest with this guy then. No big deal, you're not the first or last person to misrepresent a rep.