When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Is it wrong to lie?

Rxus

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha

I'd like to think i'm a better liar than old Bill ^_^

But yes it was wrong, and actually I won't make much of it unless the topic comes up.

I guess to close this long topic off, I'd like to say that I got a pretty nice mix of "tell the truth" "deal with it" "buy a gen"

and i'll just make some sort of hybrid response for this person.

But beleive me never again, the lesson was learned. I either tell the truth straight up or be more clever with my responses.

My advice would be to get a gen watch, which you will always wear when you meet anyone in that family (buy something old & unique that is likely to draw his attention (a vintage Longines would fit that bill nicely since some can be bought for well under a grand) & get him to inquire about it......that way, your conscience can be soothed because the last watch you told him was gen will have been a gen).

That's a terrible idea. Just come clean and move on. Tell the truth- it's easier to remember.

I think the fact that the dad mentioned that he had a few reps, tell us that he is not one of those pompous gen owners, and you may be able to tell the truth down the line. I would say just forget it for now, wear some other reps and come clean later, once the relationship really develop. just my 2 cents. good luck.

If your in too deep then completely disregard my post, lie and deny everything.

If not:

Oh my god man, don't make a huge thing of it in your mind! Wear it next time (or something else if your excited to show him another watch). Start the conversation directly, you know this is a rep right! Laugh it off. Apologize for forgetting to tell him last time. Tell him his daughter distracted you maybe? lol. Think of something else worth mentioning that you forgot also, like you really wanted to show him where to get these amazing reps of yours. Yes?

Don't lie or compound the lie... And enjoy your watch.

I absolutely hate lying (feel like im stealing pieces of myself), I am brutally honest, but it never seems worth it. I hope one day it will be, aside from feeling honorable at the end of the day, which doesn't buy much nowadays.

good luck either way. It'd be cool to hear what happens. It's sort've like a story half read as is.

These threads always go the same way. :p

Don't tell the truth aout the lie you told because they might think you tell white lies...WHICH YOU DO!

There's never any reason for ever telling a lie unless it's a lie that is defined by the parameters of MY beliefs. That makes it truth.

What oh what is wrong with the world? :D

Why pay for cable when you can get this kind of entertainment for free?

These threads always go the same way. :p

Don't tell the truth aout the lie you told because they might think you tell white lies...WHICH YOU DO!

There's never any reason for ever telling a lie unless it's a lie that is defined by the parameters of MY beliefs. That makes it truth.

What oh what is wrong with the world? :D

Why pay for cable when you can get this kind of entertainment for free?

Haven't watched cable since I've been here. ;)

Just draw a picture of a watch on your wrist next time and I bet he'll be none the wiser.

Two days ago I was sitting on the couch watching some dumb arsed reality TV show about Million Dollar Real Estate in SoCal. One of the realtors drives a black AMG 55 and had been wearing an AP ROO.

About 20 minutes in to the show, I got a glimpse of the watch... SECONDS AT 9 FOLKS... YEP, its an MBW seconds at nine!!!

He made over $120k commissions on a sale during this episode and blew $700 on two pair of shoes BUT he wears a replica AP.

That's hillarious, about 6 months ago I was walking through the mall and there was a dubs truck on display and a guy handing out free copies of the latest mag. We'll while reading it on the thrown I noticed in half the stories they do a blurb about the guys watch or car or something. At least 3 of the 6 were easily a fake, 2 of them roo's and not even mbw quality (they were on producers of a couple pretty famous artists, so you know they are making good bucks plus one was driving a masserati and the other an sl600). The other 3 there were not great pics so couldnt tell if they were gen or rep.

I find it incredible that some would go out and specially buy a genuine just because you mislead someone that your rep was a gen. The person you mislead is not going to give a damn. He will have no reason to doubt it....they are 99.9% to the genuine. Enjoy the rep but don't go misleading him with your other ones, otherwise he might think you're a drug dealer with all these gens ;)

I have been in a few situations where I have avoided telling that I am wearing a rep without lying. Here are a few...

them: "Dude, is that real?"

me: "I sure hope so" or "Tell me what you think"

them: "How much did you pay for that"

me: "I got a good deal" or "a very fair price"

and the classic, wearing my Franken UPO at the AD: "nice Planet Ocean, did you get that here?"

me: "I work a lot in Las Vegas and spend a lot of free time in their great watch shops"

My rule of thumb, don't talk too much or draw too much attention to your watch and let people make their own assumptions.

Oh, and I know about not wearing reps to an AD, but with my gen bezel insert, gen dial, gen hands and gen bracelet I just couldn't resist!!!

Edited by veja74

Believe me as much as I love watches, I would be a fool to go buy a gen Skyland (no offense to those who have purchased one or any gen for that matter) but the truth is, that with such small flaws I can easily relume the thing change bracelet and BAM it would take a a microscope and a RWG member to spot it as a replica.

From now on, i'll be more frank about my colection, maybe he will show me what he's got and I can see if they are quality "swiss" replica's or just canal street junk that he thinks are "quality"

basically .. we teach our children that it is not acceptable to lie...

However.. if it's a ex- mother inlaw or ex-wife who wants more of your income... fire away.... the skies the limit... no holds barred .... lie through your teeth !!!!! never say die.... :D

but in the case of this trhead,.. it must have been through "fear" of what may be thought of someone wearing a "rep" which to the outside world in all intents and purposes makes it a "fake" ... and the owner is associated with this mind set .. sad to say..

Good thing we got dis plazzzz to come to .. and only get jusdged on everything other than the reps... well never mind :rolleyes:

I find it incredible that some would go out and specially buy a genuine just because you mislead someone that your rep was a gen.

At least you would have a valid reason to treat yourself with a nice gen :lol:.

But on the serious side, it won't hurt to have at least 1 gen. One you can use for travelling or for places where you know people don't like reps (like ADs and WIS meetings). It doesn't necessarily have to be an expensive one.