When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

invisibility will become reality

Chronus

Check this out.

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/ne...icle4494440.ece

Probably detectable via infra red ... however if everything is invisible, just look for zero readings to spot them.

If light is bent around, will the person inside the area be in the dark ?

I'm sure the military will use it to kill more people.

lots of new and amazing th ings happening - Controlling photons i.e. bending light - controlling molecules - Printable molecular material - i.e. take a blob of matter and make it into chicken soup.

Genetics - nano computers

in 50 yrs you won't even recognize the world - we will be the first species ever to evolve based upon our own chosen direction as opposed to reactionary forces of nature.

by the way, they thing that within 30 yrs, they will be able to extend life for 1 year for every year your around - so, 2,3,400 year old people are not far off.

this would be done by "turning off" the aging that is done on the cellular level - which means we will still be younger and not all 99 yr olds, barely able to lift our heads

from a technical point of view, if it's bending light, then no light can get into the space it's shielding, so the problem will be whether you can see out of that space. With no light reaching your eyeballs, you're in the dark. I'm sure a way will be found around it. Maybe they'll call it the "Daredevil" costume and use sonar ;)

its bending...not reflecting

light just goes around object reaches behind object, continues to travel. you "just" need to create a material which ignores the light but not reflect it, so the object can disappear/ become invisible to naked eye. but i dont think it will be completely invisible, there will be some kind of "distortion", just like heat distortion...im not a scientist but this is the only possible way i can think of.. :o

Iceberg is right. The light bending method is not 100% efficient in its actual state of developement. What you get is a suit almost like that of Predator in the movies with Schwarzy. A matter of time, I suppose.

Also Chronus is right, light must be conveyed to the suit wearer's eyes in order to let him see. But this is a minor problem: if you can drive the light around an object, you can also drive it or part of it to whatever object you like.

Infrared visors are completely useless to detect this suits. The makers would not let infrared rays to escape the suit.

BTW, militars already have a way to actively detect objects without making the object aware of being detected, a sort of magic based on quantum interference. THIS would make the invisible suit useless -- but only to enemies in possess of such a sophisticate technique.

its bending...not reflecting

light just goes around object reaches behind object, continues to travel. you "just" need to create a material which ignores the light but not reflect it, so the object can disappear/ become invisible to naked eye. but i dont think it will be completely invisible, there will be some kind of "distortion", just like heat distortion...im not a scientist but this is the only possible way i can think of.. :o

I have a degree in physics, but I think I spent too much time on the basketball court and DJing ;)

I guess what they could do is create a small slit/visor to allow light in for the user to see out. If infrared is allowed in, then a tank that is cloaked could use the information to recreate on a screen what is going on outside, so it would be visually invisible.

Iceberg is right. The light bending method is not 100% efficient in its actual state of developement. What you get is a suit almost like that of Predator in the movies with Schwarzy. A matter of time, I suppose.

Also Chronus is right, light must be conveyed to the suit wearer's eyes in order to let him see. But this is a minor problem: if you can drive the light around an object, you can also drive it or part of it to whatever object you like.

Infrared visors are completely useless to detect this suits. The makers would not let infrared rays to escape the suit.

BTW, militars already have a way to actively detect objects without making the object aware of being detected, a sort of magic based on quantum interference. THIS would make the invisible suit useless -- but only to enemies in possess of such a sophisticate technique.

I agree about the Predator effect... that's what came to mind when I first read about it.

Either way, it cannot hide mass, so footprints, tire tracks will still show up. Something like rain will also reveal the shape. I guess you could have a fog of particles that will stick to it to reveal the invisible object as well.

Noise is also not hidden, so they will need to supress that in terms of vehicles or people. Breathing etc could be a giveaway.

There is also smell/pheromones (if a person) to detect.

Perhaps it will be most effective with long range snipers or covert operations like 007 ;)

I just hope it's not used to snoop on people!

Edited by Chronus