When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Some vintage rollie lume...

RWG Technical

The arabic numbers one is trully growing on me

both are beauties, but i'm with you stephane -- that arabic numbers one is just :wub:

ziggy, can you give us some background on that watch (ie. model number, approximate year it is from, where the owner got it, etc)?

thanks for posting these; i wish i could be a fly on your wall to see all of the watches that pass by your desk -- it must be quite a selection :o

deltatahoe

I'm with you guys, that 3-6-9 dial is cool. I'm finding that I like the lighter colored vintage lume- these NDT dials are just a little too dark yellow for my liking. I also like the nice white dial print on the 3-6-9 dial. Great job, Rob!

post-175-1220834948_thumb.jpg

Ironically, I'm loving this 16800 on the right with Ziggy's C-1 lume more and more each day- a beautiful white color. My gen on the left though has a nice yellow patina, but it doesn't glow anymore and of course I can't do anything about it as a collector. For replica watches, relumed dials are definitely the way to go

Two different vintage custom tritium mixes...

1.jpg

Great as always The Zigmeister.

Is the white lume a C-1 mix and the Tritium using that new lume from your other post?

Is this the unbranded lume from your other post? How does the glow look on this new lume?

The gloss finish here looks great I think.

Great feedback, thanks everyone.

As for the particular's on each watch, I dont' know a thing on either...maybe the owner will offer some info.

The lume on the left one with the numbers written out, is my standard mix of vintage Tritium with C1 as the base.

The one on the right is my standard tritium mix as well, but with some added colours to match the pictures I was sent for reference.

As for the glow, it's not very good, C1 is weaker than C3, and as soon as you add the colouring to make the vintage look, the glow is much less. But since this is supposed to duplicate aged tritium that is ok.

Just a bit of background on my tritium mix, since I have had a number of vintage watches in house with real aged tritium on the dials, including PAM's and Rollie's etc, the mix I have come up with matches those genuine dials I have seen in person. I also have had a number of dials and hands that I have bought and stripped the tritium from and put aside for reference when I mix up my own. If I have a picture of a certain look that someone is wanting, as was the case in the right sub with the sword hands, then I try and match it up as best I can. The real difficulty is trying to produce a variation in the colour of each lume dot as I have done on some models, this is extremely difficult to do and even harder to do consistantly.

RG