When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Looking for the right gen vintage

jmt

Which do you like better  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Choice #1 or Choice #2 (at 2x the price of choice 1)

• Snowflake
    • GMT

Hi. For a bunch of reasons, I am having a 'I am done with reps day...' OK, I'm not done, but it's put me of the mind to grab a special gen. So, I know what I like and have been doing some searching. Which of these two would you choose?

snow.jpg

or

Rolex_16750.jpg

i'm not familiar with prices on the snowflake, but for the gmt, it really depends on what you're looking for.

prices for an all-original 1675 seem to be in the $5,500 to $6,000 range, depending on the condition. but you can pick one up for considerably less than that (as low as $3,750) if having the original dial/hands/insert isn't that important to you. keep an eye on timezone, ebay and the other used watch sales forums -- there are generally quite a few out there at any given time.

shoot me a PM if you'd like some other sites to track.

hope this helps,

deltatahoe

Is this a piece to wear? Or to put away?

GMT's have been slowly on the rise; if you're going to go for one, I'd personally consider a 16750, as the quick set date is something you'll come to appreciate quickly. Of the several 1570's I've dealt with, the slow set date has always left a bad taste in my mouth. That is, unless you plan on wearing the watch on a daily basis, to which case keeping the date up to current isn't much of an issue; you'll only have to deal with setting the date on 30 day calendar months :)

If you're after a Tudor Snowflake, go for an M.N. 7016 or 7021 with Military papers. If you're after a piece to simply wear, I think a 9411 is a nice way to go. If you can bump your price range up a bit, a 7928 can be within obtainable range.

The one problem with a lot of vintage pieces is that they're not always correct. Sometimes you'll have some wonky parts fitted or some hackneyed fix performed.

Is this a piece to wear? Or to put away?

GMT's have been slowly on the rise; if you're going to go for one, I'd personally consider a 16750, as the quick set date is something you'll come to appreciate quickly. Of the several 1570's I've dealt with, the slow set date has always left a bad taste in my mouth. That is, unless you plan on wearing the watch on a daily basis, to which case keeping the date up to current isn't much of an issue; you'll only have to deal with setting the date on 30 day calendar months :)

If you're after a Tudor Snowflake, go for an M.N. 7016 or 7021 with Military papers. If you're after a piece to simply wear, I think a 9411 is a nice way to go. If you can bump your price range up a bit, a 7928 can be within obtainable range.

The one problem with a lot of vintage pieces is that they're not always correct. Sometimes you'll have some wonky parts fitted or some hackneyed fix performed.

Thanks, Ubi. I'll likely wear it-- I wear them all sometimes--

I really love the GMT-- It's a 16750. If I post more pics, can you help me figure out how correct it is? Seems pricey to me... ~7k.

Ahhh... Well, for one, it's an InterWatches watch for sale. Everything from them is pricey. Also... The watch posted looks like a 1675; I only see an 'OYSTER PERPETUAL' under Rolex (16750's have OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE).

:)

$7k definitely seems high for a 16750.

Edit: Interestingly enough, I looked through some scans of early 16750's and those do indeed reflect 'OYSTER PERPEUTUAL' only; no DATE.

Do a lot of reading and get to know the various weird combinations Rolex produced for their models... then shop armed with that knowledge.

I picked up my 1675 a year and a half ago for $2800 because it had a rare dial. The other bidders were afraid of it, unsure if it had a genuine dial. So I got it for a steal. :tu:

gmt_3c.jpg

darn... u r comparin a ferrari with a hyundai...

1675 all life long

Not a very wise comment - 7016 and 7021 are the collectible Tudors - and appreciated by many collectors these days. I don't see why it is a worse watch than the 16750 - also movement wise - the 16750 has a very common caliber immanent problem with the cannon pinion. 3075 is not the most praised Rolex movement...

Many people prefer the Tudor because of it looking like a vintage Sub but without the Rolex name. If it's your first genuine Rolex/Tudor - go for the Tudor - nobody will ask if it's fake. :) And everybody in the know will honor your great taste. If yo udo your homework you will find a nice piece - pref with B&P and as Ubi said with MN numbering - some call it the poor man's Comex. :) It was delivered to the French Marine Nationale...

Be aware though, many fake and Franekn Tudors around - but after reading a bit you will ID a gen from a fake 100%.

I have done a lot of research about the GMT lately. Finding a 100% original 1675 is not easy... and definitely not below $5K. If the watch is 100% original and has full paperwork, today's prices are at least in the $7K range... if not above that.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 1675 three years ago, when the prices were still very low. Nanuq's timing was perfect.

Not sure about 16750, but I believe they're in the same price range. Depending on the condition and accessories.

Yeah, I completely agree... that Ferrari/Hyundai comparison was silly. Rolex movements aren't considerably better than ETA's, and Tudor has a Rolex case. These Snowflakes are becoming highly collectible. But yeah, I would still get the GMT before the prices become utterly ridiculous (and all indicators are saying they will).

Well, I'd say that Rolex movements are better than ETA movements. But the ETA movement in Tudor watches are not plain ETA's - they were highly modified by Rolex - new shock assembly, high grade finish and very tight tolerance pivots etc... making the movement almost as good as a Rolex 1570. Still - I would doubt that a Tudor 2484 would runs as long as a 1570 would - unserviced. There ar reports of 1570 equipped watches running as long as 26 years years of daily wear without service.

I like the Ferrari Maserati comparison - much better than the Hyundai. :) both excellent puppies.

Thanks for the great replies, guys! Confirms what I wanted to do anyway... now to pull the trigger...

Ahhh... Well, for one, it's an InterWatches watch for sale. Everything from them is pricey. Also... The watch posted looks like a 1675; I only see an 'OYSTER PERPETUAL' under Rolex (16750's have OYSTER PERPETUAL DATE).

:)

$7k definitely seems high for a 16750.

Edit: Interestingly enough, I looked through some scans of early 16750's and those do indeed reflect 'OYSTER PERPEUTUAL' only; no DATE.

Did you ever try barganing with InterWatches? Not sure how to do that given the call center environment...

I have done a lot of research about the GMT lately. Finding a 100% original 1675 is not easy... and definitely not below $5K. If the watch is 100% original and has full paperwork, today's prices are at least in the $7K range... if not above that.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying a 1675 three years ago, when the prices were still very low. Nanuq's timing was perfect.

Not sure about 16750, but I believe they're in the same price range. Depending on the condition and accessories.

Yeah, I completely agree... that Ferrari/Hyundai comparison was silly. Rolex movements aren't considerably better than ETA's, and Tudor has a Rolex case. These Snowflakes are becoming highly collectible. But yeah, I would still get the GMT before the prices become utterly ridiculous (and all indicators are saying they will).

Thanks a ton, BT... that and Nanuq and FxrAndy's comments make me feel a lot better about the price on this beauty!

EDIT: But, BT, if the watch comes only with RSC papers, how does that change your value assessment?

Guys, one last question (ok, not LAST!)...

This deal is 7k. It is clean and nice, but has the wrong bracelet and only RSC papers

I have another 16750. It's $8700. Its a little less beautiful, but still totally original with a nice patina, corrent bracelet, and punched papers.

So, my question for those who know far more than I do... are papers and a bracelet worth $1700?

Thanks for all your help, guys!