When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Well, I am scared.... how about you? hehe

im2

All gen owners (at least the ones that visit gen watch forums) feel they belong to an exclusive club.

They have payed premium for a watch, and when they meet in airport business lounges and golf clubs, they can spot eachother by their watches.

They then have conversations about their lifestyle, wich often includes money, golf, yachts and so on. Amongst them their ranks are defined by who has the most expensive watch.

They are kinda the lifestyle freemasons if you could put it that way.

When coming across a site like this they see a bunch of reps they could never spot. They start to thin back about all the polite conversation they have had during the years.

Were some of the conversation pieces replicas?!?!

Were they scammed by people not really belonging to their club?!?!?!

Were some of the people maybe not rich?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!!

Was that a fake yacht i was on?!??!!?!

As you can see this could spawn absolut paranoia amongst this breed of people.

I could compare rep owners to the really good looking straight guy that goes to a gay bar for a drink.

He may not have a problem with the gay community, but they sure dont want him there :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they do indeed watch ebay like a hawk, and that was the only post that made me cringe.

seems like buyer's remorse to me.

Joesixpack paid 10K and is now peeved that he could've paid $500 for something nearly as good.

Or again, just an elitist attitude, rich get richer, poor get poorer.

not all , but quite a few gen owners (myself included) own both.

for the most part i think we like to travel with reps, go to the gym with them

etc. if they're stolen or break- no biggie usually.

Exactly. I like watches for the design and aesthetic and not for a status symbol or oneupmanship. And for reasons like Noel has stated, I wear my reps more than my gens as I'm not concerned about what happens to them.

I disagree wholeheartedly with this. I own almost a dozen gens myself and visit those forums, but my behavior is nothing like this. I just love watches, but I am the exception rather than the rule. Of course, I'm not rich on the level which you speak of though. But I do hang with a lot of them. People who hand on watch forums - gen or rep - do not represent the respective owners of each group of watch buyers as a whole. We are all the exception.

When I meet friends and clients at golf clubs and on yachts and private jets there has never been one time that any of them noticed or commented on my watch, nor did I on theirs. Many of these guys wear Day-Dates and with them a lack of watch saavy is to be expected, but many also wear VC, AP, Patek, Lange, etc. In other words, most high end watch owners actually don't buy watches for status symbols, they buy them because they happen to be sold where they shop for jewelry in most cases. I know a guy who owns a VC Malte Chrono in Platinum and not only can he not pronounce the name, he refers to the hands as "arms". He also just got a new Ferrari 430 and when I asked him how many horses it had he couldn't tell me. I think you see my point. People who buy expensive gens are WAY past the point financially of seeing a watch as a way to impress friends. These guys need to own their own Gulfstream 5 or a 148ft Fedship to do that. Oh, and they have never even heard of TZ or WYS either...

From my experience, most wealthy people come across watches while shopping for diamonds for thier wife. Seriously. They are on Rodeo window shopping and after buying a 100K necklace, they mosey over to the watch counter. They don't know much about the watch brands other than "Yeah, Patek is supposed to be good", or whatever and then the salesmen proceeds to sell them the watch. This is how all the major brands sell the majority of thier watches. They count on it. Most watch companies would tell you they don't even like the big watch stores as they can't ove the high end stock as fast a as jewelry store (Rolex may be the exception here though). Stores that really DO sell 100K necklaces are the best place to sell a 30K watch to the husband - not Tourneau. Plus, he has and excuse to buy somethinng expensive, but justified since it costs way less than what the wife got. LOL. They try them on while the wife is getting fitted. Just another Sunday shopping experience. So over the years they accumulate several nice pieces this way, but unlike us here, they don't seek out watches. The watches find them.

All gen owners (at least the ones that visit gen watch forums) feel they belong to an exclusive club.

They have payed premium for a watch, and when they meet in airport business lounges and golf clubs, they can spot eachother by their watches.

They then have conversations about their lifestyle, wich often includes money, golf, yachts and so on. Amongst them their ranks are defined by who has the most expensive watch.

They are kinda the lifestyle freemasons if you could put it that way.

When coming across a site like this they see a bunch of reps they could never spot. They start to thin back about all the polite conversation they have had during the years.

Were some of the conversation pieces replicas?!?!

Were they scammed by people not really belonging to their club?!?!?!

Were some of the people maybe not rich?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!?!?!!

Was that a fake yacht i was on?!??!!?!

As you can see this could spawn absolut paranoia amongst this breed of people.

I could compare rep owners to the really good looking straight guy that goes to a gay bar for a drink.

He may not have a problem with the gay community, but they sure dont want him there :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

firstly, i don't see what business it is of theirs.

This place is called REPLICA watch group right from the get-go. No one is being scammed or cheated and everyone knows what they are here for.

Besides, a watch is a watch is a watch.

If someone chooses to pay more, its their choice and i'm happy for them

If we don't, its our prerogative and we prefer to choose better value for our money

Well said. I hate it when gen watch forum go'ers do the snobbery thing. That was kind of the slant to my last post. They think they represent the gen watch community but they really don't in the way that we represent watch lovers in general. I'd bet money that some of the people/clients of mine I mentioned that own Lange's. Pateks, VC's, etc. would buy some of our nice reps if they knew they existed. In fact, I'm sure most of them would. One friend of mine that has his own jet would crap himself if I handed him a new rep Skyland and told him it cost under three hundred bucks. He would tell me to buy a dozen of them to give as Christmas gifts. No joke. Like I always say, any TRUE watch lover loves a nice watch no matter what its origin or brand or price point. A nice watch is a nice watch.

firstly, i don't see what business it is of theirs.

This place is called REPLICA watch group right from the get-go. No one is being scammed or cheated and everyone knows what they are here for.

Besides, a watch is a watch is a watch.

If someone chooses to pay more, its their choice and i'm happy for them

If we don't, its our prerogative and we prefer to choose better value for our money

Based on the tone of their simple minded thread, and simple minded members, we are apparantly, penniless losers, the lot of us. Funny stuff. Brother, can you spare a Panerai??

Well said. I hate it when gen watch forum go'ers do the snobbery thing. That was kind of the slant to my last post. They think they represent the gen watch community but they really don't in the way that we represent watch lovers in general. I'd bet money that some of the people/clients of mine I mentioned that own Lange's. Pateks, VC's, etc. would buy some of our nice reps if they knew they existed. In fact, I'm sure most of them would. One friend of mine that has his own jet would crap himself if I handed him a new rep Skyland and told him it cost under three hundred bucks. He would tell me to buy a dozen of them to give as Christmas gifts. No joke. Like I always say, any TRUE watch lover loves a nice watch no matter what its origin or brand or price point. A nice watch is a nice watch.

Couldn't've said it better myself, and that's precicely how I feel about watches :) It's not about the brand name on the dial, it's about how well it fulfills its 'designated duty', and how functional it is :) For me, my prime concern is being able to tell the time quickly, and in the dark, while I'm not wearing my glasses. That means large dial, and luminous hands and markers. The Planet Ocean fulfills that requirement, but, I must admit, PAMs do it better... Although I know the dial of the Nautilus is smaller than PAMs, I have a feeling, given the size and shape of the hands, that it would be 'clear enough', and that I'd find it an easy watch to use. Key word there: use. If I can't use a watch, it's no good to me... :)

Yes, that is for certain. If reading the basic time with ease is the primary goal of a watch, nothing can compete with a Marina PAM in any light. Not much else comes close...

Couldn't've said it better myself, and that's precicely how I feel about watches :) It's not about the brand name on the dial, it's about how well it fulfills its 'designated duty', and how functional it is :) For me, my prime concern is being able to tell the time quickly, and in the dark, while I'm not wearing my glasses. That means large dial, and luminous hands and markers. The Planet Ocean fulfills that requirement, but, I must admit, PAMs do it better... Although I know the dial of the Nautilus is smaller than PAMs, I have a feeling, given the size and shape of the hands, that it would be 'clear enough', and that I'd find it an easy watch to use. Key word there: use. If I can't use a watch, it's no good to me... :)

Yes, that is for certain. If reading the basic time with ease is the primary goal of a watch, nothing can compete with a Marina PAM in any light. Not much else comes close...

Well, possibly a U-Boat, but I don't have any first hand experience of those ;) Other than that, you're quite right. They're about as functional as one could want :) When I first got into reps, from Subs and SMPs, I didn't understand how someone could wear a PAM. Now, it's an effort for me to wear anything else :lol:

What time is it?

177a.jpg

Well, possibly a U-Boat, but I don't have any first hand experience of those ;) Other than that, you're quite right. They're about as functional as one could want :) When I first got into reps, from Subs and SMPs, I didn't understand how someone could wear a PAM. Now, it's an effort for me to wear anything else :lol: