When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Come Fly With Me

freddy333

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Someone did that over on TZ and it looked really nice. Since that day, that very HOUR I've been pacing the floor watching for my opportunity.

Kismet, baby.

Definitely kismet, but I am surprised I never saw it. Did you keep a copy of that poster's watch picture? I have seen a couple of these watches with Tropic lenses, but I think alot of the magic of the 6542 comes from that big, magnified date cyclops. But I would love to see what it looks like with a Superdome.

Hmm sweet how this turned out! I have been reading ure posts about this project from the start when it was still an idea! Who would of thought it would turn out like this... i mean i knew u could pull it off but still have to be honest and say you overachieved my expectations... brilliant work Freddy my hat of to u sir :thumbs::hi:

regards Laz

Hmm sweet how this turned out! I have been reading ure posts about this project from the start when it was still an idea! Who would of thought it would turn out like this... i mean i knew u could pull it off but still have to be honest and say you overachieved my expectations... brilliant work Freddy my hat of to u sir :thumbs::hi:

regards Laz

Thank you, Laz. I agree & especially since this was just my backup project watch (to tide me over until the DW project gets done), the (nearly) final result (as well as everyone's reaction to it) surprised me too.

A funny thing happened this morning - I emailed MY with a couple of questions & included a pic of the watch, telling him this is the watch I needed his insert for. And he wrote back saying the insert will fit an original watch too. ;)

I have a 6542 dial en route & the correct handset already in my possession (I am just awaiting a larger broaching set, which is due this week). You may have missed my comments to that effect earlier on in this thread.

Sorry if I sounded like I didn't think it looked good, I do!

Ar you planing to change the date numerals to red?

Ladles & Gentlemen, all ships at sea, allow me to present..........

The (nearly complete) Rolex GMT-Master Model 6542

One of the best reps that I have seen in RWG. Very good, you are very able....

Sorry an info, I have seen in internet some Tropic but not whit magnification date. Have you modded a crystal or have you buy it ? Where ? Thanks for info

Hey Freddy,

Late to post a comment... but what a beauty!

I did see a gen Rolex roulette date disc on ebay a while back. I was snipped, otherwise I would have it. It was open font, with the proper date progression for eta. That would have been ideal for your project.

in regards to your hands... how about trying to mod your cannon pinion, hour wheel and 24h wheel first... those parts are easier to replace than a hand set. The only wheel that might be hard to get is the rep 24H wheel, but maybe not. I'm sure there are plenty of dead soldiers out there where you could get a donor part from.

One of the best reps that I have seen in RWG. Very good, you are very able....

Sorry an info, I have seen in internet some Tropic but not whit magnification date. Have you modded a crystal or have you buy it ? Where ? Thanks for info

The crystal on my watch is a genuine Rolex T116, but I have seen 2 gen 6542s on TZ without a cyclops (Rolex used to give the buyer a choice of cyclops or non-cyclops crystals on some watch models). I have never tried to remove the cyclops on a Plexiglas crystal & I do not know the Tropic part number for the non-cyclops crystal. I think Offshore has a Rolex crystal guide, if you need the part number.

Hey Freddy,

Late to post a comment... but what a beauty!

I did see a gen Rolex roulette date disc on ebay a while back. I was snipped, otherwise I would have it. It was open font, with the proper date progression for eta. That would have been ideal for your project.

Thank you for the compliment, Stilty.

I would love to add a gen roulette disc into the mix. Do you remember what it sold for & what the date disc part number is? I am assuming the gen disc would need to be trimmed/modified to fit onto the ETA?

in regards to your hands... how about trying to mod your cannon pinion, hour wheel and 24h wheel first... those parts are easier to replace than a hand set. The only wheel that might be hard to get is the rep 24H wheel, but maybe not. I'm sure there are plenty of dead soldiers out there where you could get a donor part from.

I could go that route, but the hands are not terribly expensive (& I can get more if I foul them) & once I receive the right broaches, I think it will be alot easier to enlarge the hands than to search out the proper sized ETA pinions/wheels & rebuild the movement. The ETA parts costs would likely equal or exceed the cost of the handset (and I always try to follow the path of least resistance). As it is, I still have not decided whether to try to retro-fit the GMT parts from the 2836-2 onto a 'slow beat' 2846 (I have never done that before), or if it would make more sense to try to source a gen 106x calibre.

Congrats Freddy. Awesome work!

I'm happy for you, and glad to see that the watch is much more than the sum of its part.

A bit suggestion is that maybe you want to polish off the crystal edge a bit, make it more rounded rather than sharp. And will you be sourcing the alternating black and red datewheel?

Good luck and awaiting your future update my friend.