When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Passing your rep off for a Genuine..

lanikai

what prompts me to post his topic is that I ran into a (I would say acquaintance) after many years at the new gym I joined..

And I noticed (of course) his watch .. which had the unmistakable link bracelet..

I of course became very interested as perhaps we had something in common.. after all it was obviously a vintage model and looked to new to be the real deal.. I asked him what he was wearing .. when I viewed the dial I realized it was a very "bad" replication.. it was a 1680 dial without the proper markings and very bad printing on the dial.. absolutely no lume or any indication that it had ever had lume on it..

I told him I was into vintage rolexes as a "Hobby" .. about the reps and genuine dials available.. well,... he insisted that he just sent his into "Rolex" for repair.. the bezel had fallen off.. and they replace it.. well it was a terrible insert with the wrong pearl and font on the insert.. he had a after market pexi crystal with a totally incorrect dial something in the mix of a 1680 and a 1665.. but not close to either.. the printing was "blurred" .. it was a embarrassment really..

I was sharing with this person that if he wanted a more accurate watch ... yada.. yada... at which point the said.. " I just spent 1300 usd for rolex to replace the insert"... so needless to say I just shut up and won't bring it up again.. it was such a terrible "fake" I thought I could clue him into being more accurate..

It's too bad.. I thought we had a common interest in the "Hobby".. obviously he wants people to believe something else..

If asked about the vintage Rolex's I have on I simply say that it is my "Hobby" .. and I have friends that are really into watches that have helped me have fun in sourcing genuine parts and modding watches.. it's fun ... like people who collect vintage model trains and such..

So it made me reflect on this Forum.. how we can share and really ENJOY what we do.. at least we "know" what we do is for enjoyment .. thanks RWG !! for being here !!

Aloha~Cheers

Lani

I have tried the same thing several times when I spot someone with a bad fake. Most of the time they insist it is the real deal and I just shut my mouth. Funny some people even try that when they know I wear fakes.

I guess the general population who wear fakes do so to impress others or appear to be something they are not.

I have always appreciated this hobby for what it is, a hobby and enjoy conversations I have with people about how good my fakes are.

Funny thing is I own and have owned many genuine watches. I think most people who own a fake or two never have and the idea of wearing a Rolex for them is a big deal. After you own a $20k watch it isn't such a big deal anymore and don't care about being called out.

I am not interested in trying to impress anyone. I impress myself enough.. :D

I have tried the same thing several times when I spot someone with a bad fake. Most of the time they insist it is the real deal and I just shut my mouth. Funny some people even try that when they know I wear fakes.

I guess the general population who wear fakes do so to impress others or appear to be something they are not.

I have always appreciated this hobby for what it is, a hobby and enjoy conversations I have with people about how good my fakes are.

Funny thing is I own and have owned many genuine watches. I think most people who own a fake or two never have and the idea of wearing a Rolex for them is a big deal. After you own a $20k watch it isn't such a big deal anymore and don't care about being called out.

I am not interested in trying to impress anyone. I impress myself enough.. :D

Yes, but what is funny is I wasn't trying to call him out.. rather I was as tactful as I could be and was attempting to help the guy.. well he didn't know what a CG was let alone dial font.. so my lesson is learned ... with the reps that are bought genuines could be had for every 10 or 20 reps.. but I am not into that .. jus funny how this "hobby" needs to be kept "underground".. although google anything and we pop up.. :rolleyes:

What a great topic Lani, it reminds me of soo many stories I have read in my 1+ years as part of this great board, included in those stories was my own run in with my best friends father in-law and his Gen-rep collection.

The point is though that although many members here have or could potentially own gen counterparts to their replica watches, the great majority of people who purchase reps simply cannot justify the expense once they factor in the rest of their financial responsibilities.

It's why i try to stick to a simple and rough guide that has been shared before in this board....Wear reps of watches you technically could really own..

It's not rocket science and it inst a law we must follow to the T either.

Just a common sense thing

Most importantly Have Fun!!

Interesting topic. Well I wear a rep just because I like the watch (UPO) and would like to own a gen vintage Omega model one day. It's not to impress someone, because most of the people I know know nothing about watches and the only brands they recognize are the cheap Swatch and expensive Rolex, so Omega means nothing to them and I never try to pass my watch as genuine, well actually they even never ask, I just sometimes tell them about my passion and say that i'm wearing a rep.

Perhaps he was the victim of a scam, and actually thought it was real? :o

If he believed it was real, wouldnt Rolex have sent him a letter stating "You bought a fake. We aint fixin' it." When he sent it in to pay 1300 dollars and have the dial replaced?

Also, to really pass off your reps as gens you have to have really good fakes, and make it believable. Im in a very high income bracket, so noone questions my one rolex and one graham.

Also, another reason to own reps instead of gens.... every week SOMETHING happens to my tt submariner, wacking my wrist against a table, scraping it on a wall, hitting the rim of a drum with it, whatever. If I had put that many scratches and scuffs onto a real one... I would be on the floor hyperventilating.

Also, another reason to own reps instead of gens.... every week SOMETHING happens to my tt submariner, wacking my wrist against a table, scraping it on a wall, hitting the rim of a drum with it, whatever. If I had put that many scratches and scuffs onto a real one... I would be on the floor hyperventilating.

LOL - I hear that, and it's one of the reasons why I wear reps too. I could afford a gen or two, but given that I've completely destroyed one rep and scratched the hell out of two others so far this year, I don't think my blood pressure could handle gen ownership ;)

LOL - I hear that, and it's one of the reasons why I wear reps too. I could afford a gen or two, but given that I've completely destroyed one rep and scratched the hell out of two others so far this year, I don't think my blood pressure could handle gen ownership ;)

I had a not-so-expensive Gen Citizen Eccodrive (approx 400 Euro) which I dropped on a stone-floor and totally destroyed...as greg_r states above, I would been really angry with myself if I had dropped a more expensive gen...I rather drop and destroy a rep than an gen...

If anyone ever asks me... I can take pride in stating the truth:

'I built this watch from parts'

:)

Usually, that strikes up quite a lot of curious discussion to which most typically end with the interested party inquiring 'Uhhhh... How much do you think it would cost to build XYZ (or insert any random watch model, brand, etc)...?'

BTW, I would have busted up laughing if someone told me they paid $1300 for a new replacement bezel insert. RSCs charge $50 for those.

My experience is that you should never admit to wearing a replica watch. I find that people no matter how seemingly interested immediately put you in a category.....a guy who wears FAKE watches. Those not into our hobby dont understand all the ins and outs of what we do nor the satisfaction we derive from doing what we do. I wear my watches both reps and gens and thats that. If someone admires my watch then great and if they do I keep my mouth shut. I was with a coworker and he brought along his boss. I was wearing a beautiful MBW 1665....hollow mid links, recessed insert....no obvious clues aside from the fact that it looks brand new that it was a rep. The boss looked at my watch and just gushed how nice it was....until I mentioned it was a rep. Immediately his tone changed and he became completely UN interested and just said....."I would never do that". Since that time I just wear my watches and never admit to anyone if they are real or fake.

What cracks me up is that on most any gen forum, you'll always have the closet rep owners. And we're talking some of the more prominent folks on those forums.

I wonder how many of those same people, who would look down at a person or categorize them for simply wearing a rep have a rep or two in their own collection? Probably more than one would think or realize...

When you start wearing replicas, there is a point where you either choose to be honest, or you begin weaving a web of lies. Once you tell that first lie, there is no turning back. I was very upfront with the people I work with as well as friends and family, and I find them to be no less impressed with the quality of the watches I wear. If I had chosen to try and pass that first rep off as a gen, I would have had to come up with another lie to explain the source of the tens of thousands of dollars that I would have had to spend on those gens.

The moral of the story for all the newbies out there, be honest and don't even think of telling that first white lie because it will always lead to another. It always feels better to answer the truth with pride than to answer with a lie and shame!

I only had one person ask me if my watch was "real". Its a real tacky question to ask so I dont expect many to ask it. I just said....does it look fake? and that ended that. In other words I dont feel you need to walk around exclaiming your watches are real or admit they are NOT real. Of course if you dig ditches for a living and at the same time are wearing 5000 dollar watches that may be a different story. For me however I never have a problem and I never admit to wearing reps nor lie that they are gens.

Yes, but what is funny is I wasn't trying to call him out.. rather I was as tactful as I could be and was attempting to help the guy..

I am on the same page as you. No good deed goes unpunished. Amazing how people with bad fakes will turn their nose up at you when you try to hook them up with the good stuff. I have stopped trying. Jut enjoy my hobby here and laugh on the inside.........

I tell people I own gens and reps and let them guess which are which. Invariably they guess the reps are gens and wait for the crappy reps to turn up.

Oh, apart from the vintage MBKs where I say they started off as 100% fake and they'll finish off as almost all-genuine parts.

I always tell people if what I am wearing is a rep. I think it tells you something about that person by the way they react to the information. Foe example I like a person who shows surprise then interest and a good conversation can be had explaining the detail and care that goes into a decent rep.

I love the fact that a lawyer friend of mine used to hate the idea of anything rep and I knew he quietly scoffed at my reps, then he saw my wifes rep Panerai and fell in love with it. He now proudly wears a rep Panny and has just received a JLC Reserve de Marche rep which gets alot of wrist time.

Another happy convert :D

Usually, that strikes up quite a lot of curious discussion to which most typically end with the interested party inquiring 'Uhhhh... How much do you think it would cost to build XYZ (or insert any random watch model, brand, etc)...?'

BTW, I would have busted up laughing if someone told me they paid $1300 for a new replacement bezel insert. RSCs charge $50 for those.

You are "on it" Ubi.. the part about building a watch.. that is the difference ... the "Hobby" and Passion takes far more knowledge and research than walking into an AD and purchasing one ... I'm not knocking Genuines, (I wouldn't pass one up).. but for me it would be like.. OK, I bought it.. it looks good.. but where is the pay-off.. the Hunt so to speak.. ( I know we all discussed this previously) .. anticipation etc. .. the pride (especially for You) in getting it perfect..

I have known this persons character for a while.. there was someone that recognized me in the locker room and asked me if I still compete , and passed on some nice compliments , remembering one of the contest I entered.. well he 'burlarized' our converstaion and butted in with a long winded story of his accomplishments... although he dosen't know a diet from Crown... he needs to be the center of attention..

so I walked away.. not letting it bother me.... but when he started BS'ing about the insert .. believe me inside I was rolling..

andreww Posted Today, 04:17 AM

When you start wearing replicas, there is a point where you either choose to be honest, or you begin weaving a web of lies. Once you tell that first lie, there is no turning back. I was very upfront with the people I work with as well as friends and family, and I find them to be no less impressed with the quality of the watches I wear. If I had chosen to try and pass that first rep off as a gen, I would have had to come up with another lie to explain the source of the tens of thousands of dollars that I would have had to spend on those gens.

The moral of the story for all the newbies out there, be honest and don't even think of telling that first white lie because it will always lead to another. It always feels better to answer the truth with pride than to answer with a lie and shame!

Great advice to the newcomers A.... funny how the saying goes... "the greatest gift to a liar is to remember what he said yesterday" .. cause for every lie you need to make up another one to cover the last one.. and on infinitum

Since being here on RWG what I have found is that this community as a whole is full of Honourable members .. and this being a replica forum and genuine forums looking down on our Hobby.. it is a wonderful thing to see ... I would put our communities Honor to any forum,.. watch or not ... all of you are a great example to the newcomers ..

This place is a lot more than jus watches !!

I do the same... And when the conversation takes a turn on what went into the build, the technical stuff usually goes over most people's head.

Every once in a while, someone asks my wife about her watch, and she takes great pride in telling them, "my husband built it for me!"

I have to say: that's really pathetic, that "friend" lying about a bad rep, even when you tried to help him out and let him off the hook... Rather than connect with another person, upgrade his watch, and perhaps learn about a new hobby--he chose to isolate himself in a lie.

But, in that WSJ article about Vacheron Constantin building a "counterfeit-proof"--they mention that world wide MORE replicas are produced each year--than genuines. And most of them are Canal Street quality--not DSN. Thus, one can only conclude, that one out of every two watches you see on the street are bad fakes. And many of those cheapos are worn by people who are vigorously pretending they're real...

My experience is that you should never admit to wearing a replica watch. I find that people no matter how seemingly interested immediately put you in a category.....a guy who wears FAKE watches. Those not into our hobby dont understand all the ins and outs of what we do nor the satisfaction we derive from doing what we do. I wear my watches both reps and gens and thats that. If someone admires my watch then great and if they do I keep my mouth shut. I was with a coworker and he brought along his boss. I was wearing a beautiful MBW 1665....hollow mid links, recessed insert....no obvious clues aside from the fact that it looks brand new that it was a rep. The boss looked at my watch and just gushed how nice it was....until I mentioned it was a rep. Immediately his tone changed and he became completely UN interested and just said....."I would never do that". Since that time I just wear my watches and never admit to anyone if they are real or fake.

You know, I agree with the above completely. Perhaps Dubai is just one of those materialistic cesspits, but I purchased a fake bag ONCE, because I loved the way it felt. It had no brand name on the outside (but inside), so there was no trying to pass it off as something else unless someone was rifling through it. Someone checked the inside for some reason, called it a fake, I agreed and told him where I got it from. Before you know it, ALL my stuff (accessories from cartier, mont blanc, givenchy, etc etc) are called fake by all the guys I worked with, and I got the tag of that "fake" guy.

While we may purchase luxury goods for our own satisfaction, part of the reason you pay $800 for a Mont Blanc which writes worse than a $3 Bic pen is for the brand and the feeling that you've "arrived". Doesnt work too well if you would command more respect with the $3 item! So if ya ask me, I really wouldnt mention owning a fake to anyone for fear of becoming "that guy".

It is very apparent that he wasn't into the hobby like we are. In a way I think that we all want our watches to pass as gens. That is why we are so anal to have perfection in our reps. I usually try not to engage too much into conversation when someone comments on my reps. They usually say "nice watch", or "I like your watch". I just reply by saying thanks. An understated response is quite powerful at times. My closest friends and co-workers know I wear reps and gens and just appreciate that I wear nice timepieces. I had a client once just glare at my watch. I was wearing my PAM 111E and he could not take his eyes off it. When I looked at him, he said that he just loves Panerai. When I asked if he was a collector, he said yes but mostly replicas. When I told him mine was a rep too, he couldn't believe it. When I asked him where he buys his reps, he said most of them were from Canal Street when he went to New York and the others off the internet. The internet sites he went to were run of the mill cheap replica sites. It kinda shows how the general public gets nabbed by crappy rep sites. I did not disclose where I got my PAM from other than that it was from the Orient. Do you guys refer people to these forums?

I think if you're going to "lie" or pass a rep off as real--you better have a decent one, and know what (if any) the flaws are. I'd rather come clean with someone, than have them secretly know that I'm a liar... (And, yeah, ultimately I'd rather have reps that are so perfect that they pass as genuines--and I don't need to blink if someone looks at them twice...