When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Grrr..i got no luck. Sweep isnt smooth now after repair.

vizsladog

The ongoing Euromariner saga grows.....

After getting the stem put back in the movement isnt smooth in some spots now.

it seems to jerk in some spots and almost tick in others. but in some spots its silky smooth.

Just think i've only had this watch a little over a week.

All started with a peice of lint that was left in the watch on the face.

wish i would have never had it opened to have it removed. Just lived with the lint

Edited by vizsladog

Your best option is to replace the whole movement.

If it is a DG 2813, it costs 4.95 GBP.

If it is a DG 4813, it costs 11.95 GBP.

Both from cousinsuk (just note that they misspell the DG4813 as DG8413).

It cant be fixed???? I give up man.

I paid more money for the gen eta movement.

Just paid 65.00 to have it "fixed".......

The up hill clmb it looks awful.

Keep the faith brother. We all have the ones that drive us crazy and the ones we smile at year after year :)

Hope you get it sorted soon.

Be lucky @ll :)

If the second hand appears to be skipping around on the dial, tip the watch/movement on a 45 degree angle & shake it gently. Does the hand look like it is skipping around on the dial in tandem with the motion? If so, the hand is loose & may just need to be reseated onto its pinion. If not, then the center pinion could have too much play.

sounds .. or rather it must look like what happened to my Ingy after recieving it back from DW swap.. the second hand was not secured .. so the hand was loose and jerked and stuttered a lot .. if you can attempt to remove the second hand and reapply it in place..

I know, everyone told me it's easy .. sure after you've sucessfully done it .. it is.. you need a couple of low cost tools from Ofrei..

anyway that is my experience with what this sounds like.. :)

Edit add .. the end result was the cannon pin was broken..i recieved it back that way from a mod in CONUS

The stem has nothing to do with the smoothness of the sweep of the seconds hand.

The two are not connected.

Something else is wrong, if it's an ETA it will be smooth all the time, the movement works or it doesn't, meaning the actual movement isn't going to go from smooth to jerky.

So as others have said it's down to the seconds hand, since it was ok when you brought it in for repair, take it back and let them fix it. The other thing to try is where is it jerky on the dial face, at the same place all the time, or does it vary. Also with the watch vertical (ie off your wrist and held up), monitor the hand, is it smooth on the way up, from 6-12 and jerky on the way down 12-6? or is it jerky randomly...

ETA movements are not jerky, so something else is messed up.

RG

it always gets funky between 4 an 7 on the up climb it gets funky after 9 and it does it slightly at 12. Down sweep is smooth.

Like everyone says - second hand needs to be pushed on a little, thats the only explanation for the intermittened movement changes..

It should not he hard to do

The stem has nothing to do with the smoothness of the sweep of the seconds hand.

The two are not connected.

Something else is wrong, if it's an ETA it will be smooth all the time, the movement works or it doesn't, meaning the actual movement isn't going to go from smooth to jerky.

So as others have said it's down to the seconds hand, since it was ok when you brought it in for repair, take it back and let them fix it. The other thing to try is where is it jerky on the dial face, at the same place all the time, or does it vary. Also with the watch vertical (ie off your wrist and held up), monitor the hand, is it smooth on the way up, from 6-12 and jerky on the way down 12-6? or is it jerky randomly...

ETA movements are not jerky, so something else is messed up.

RG

Not trying to highjack this but, I've got a gen vintage Omega that is jerky on the way downhill. Laying flat or going up it's OK. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It was just totally serviced.

Not trying to highjack this but, I've got a gen vintage Omega that is jerky on the way downhill. Laying flat or going up it's OK. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It was just totally serviced.

No Highjack at all...

On your Omega this is perfectly normal, as it is on many vintage center seconds models. Reason is simple, the first center seconds movements were done using existing designs (which did not incorporate center seconds) and the way they got the center seconds was by adding a new gear on top of the 2nd wheel, and a pinion gear through the third wheel. This is what is called the "indirect" center seconds design, and since the new gear is very large and drives a tiny pinion for the seconds, there is slack between the gears and this slack causes the jerky hand when it's going with gravity.

The next generation designs moved the second gear to the center of the movement, thereby eliminating the extra driving and driven gears, and we have a smooth direct drive center seconds.

PICTURE of indirect seconds drive, see the big gear on top of the bridges, this is the extra gear, see where it sits in the center of the movement, this is where the pinion is located that drives the seconds.

Apologies to Deltahoe, it's his picture I took, but it fits the need here nicely...and he's selling a bunch of stuff, go buy something from him if you found this useful :)

img0927zd0.jpg

RG