When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Taking a break for a while (i would say forever but you know how that goes)

chad

That's a good reason. It's very likely that you'll be back for more though. Gens are great but not as much fun. We'll be here when you feel the need to know what is going on in the replica world.

Enjoy your gen.

Taking a break from buying and selling reps for a while. I will drop by here from time to time though.

Here is the main reason.

You'll be back. :D

Every time I buy a gen I say to myself 'I love this thing and will never buy another rep'. After what seems like 10 minutes I realize I can't do any mods to it and get sad. I love gens but have so much more fun with reps. Just go on a gen forum and realize that all they talk about is the next gen. There is nothing else to talk about.....

Let's mod something!

Good choice, Chad! You made a great decision getting the GMT. It has been in my radar, but because no AD had it (call me odd, but I like MY name to be on the warranty card), it is out of my reach. Not many are as deserving as you.

In regards to taking a "break", I hope you're not serious. Don't you enjoy the camaraderie here?

After I bought my first expensive gen, I only realized how good the reps actually are. After that, I've been on a rep buying mode again.

Whether you leave the reps or not... just don't become a "gen snob". They're boring wankers. :D

After I bought my first expensive gen, I only realized how good the reps actually are. After that, I've been on a rep buying mode again.

Whether you leave the reps or not... just don't become a "gen snob". They're boring wankers. :D

I'll second that :D

Congrats for your gen Chad...but as BT says, reps are so good these days!

Hope you'll be back to reps B)

Taking a break from buying and selling reps for a while. I will drop by here from time to time though.

Here is the main reason.

You'll be back. If for nothing else, you'll continue to buy reps to "test drive" your next gen purchase. Plus, there is nothing wrong with having the same model in rep and gen form. It gives you options. B)

You'll be back. If for nothing else, you'll continue to buy reps to "test drive" your next gen purchase. Plus, there is nothing wrong with having the same model in rep and gen form. It gives you options. B)

That's EXACTLY what i'm intent on doing! I've a couple of gens, and like you guys say, there's noting else to be done after other than to lust after the next thing that's going to burn a hole in yr pocket! I'm so happy i've stumbled onto this site...now i'm trying to buy reps of the gens i have !!!!! And i'd wear em both to confuse the crapola outta the snobs and [censored]!

Exactly. Consider myself as an example of a guy who has gone pretty far into the gen camp. In fact, at the moment I don't own any reps and I own 9 gens. And yet I'm still here looking to start my first vintage Rollie mod project. Gen snobs are [censored] as BT says. They are all over at TZ and have nothing to say, nor do most of them really love watches as we do here. Reps are where the passion is. That passion and education here is what fuels my gen purchases.

Given that you bought a PAM it was no doubt spawned of knowledge you gained here after owning some PAM reps. Good for you. I think owning a rep and falling in love with it is a good reason to want to own the "ultimate" version of it - the gen if you find yourself with the cash burning a hole in the pocket or whatever. This may sound funny, but I actually view my gens as the "ultimate 1:1 super reps". I judge the quality of many gens by using it's reps as benchmarks. So I highly advise repeating the process over and over that you have just done. Enjoy the 8-days for a while, then come back, buy another few reps, fall in love with another one and get another gen of that one if you decide you have to have the best "version" of whatever that watch is. The journey is the destination as they say...

Whether you leave the reps or not... just don't become a "gen snob". They're boring [censored]. :D

I agree with RobbieG. There is no better way to try out that gen. you are lusting after than with a rep. to save yourself and wallet a lot of afterwards "buyer's remorse". You can't find more thorough knowledge than on this forum when researching a brand model as the passion for watches warrants all the collectors' research and all the knowledge of building your own watch that resides here. Let's not forget just checking in for the camaraderie if nothing else.

Good words by Robbie and BT. I knew a guy who was president of a local watch club years ago...and now, doesn't even go to the meetings as all they are about is the next purchase...the next purchase...and it became just a big show and tell group. Unless you were constantly buying gens to bring in and show-off...you weren't part of the "in crowd".

The rep forums however, are filled with passionate people all 'round...not just rep owners, but gen owners, watchmakers, modders, etc...and that's what makes it interesting here.

RWG is an outstanding WATCH forum...that just happens to have a lot of rep info (and gen info for that matter)...so I would think you would be back!! Just because you bought 1 gen...doesn't mean you are no longer passionate about watches. ;)