When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

Who shall become the Next US President?

pollux1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Too close to call. Although, you have a 50/50 shot no matter who you pick.

Polls say Obama is ahead, but internet polls I have seen all show it to be a lot closer.

If I had to guess, I'd say McCain, simply because Obama is black. America may not want to admit it but prejudice is alive and well, especially in the south.

My avatar (Pat Paulsen) would due a better job from the grave...;)

He had a great campaign slogan:

"We've upped our standards, now up yours!"

Well, if you are trying to predict the outcome ....

Currently both BetFair and Intrade have Obama favored at roughly 90%-10% to win the election. Both were spot-on in 2004, accurately predicitng all 50 States.

Of course should the Redskins win tonight (last home game before the election) against the Steelers, then history predicts McCain (incumbant party) will win (correct 17 of the last 18 elections).

And, last but not least ... Missouri has gone with the winner every election since 1904 except Eisenhower in 1956 (25 of the last 26 elections). Right now, a statistical dead-heat.

I would chose neither'

I think this creature would do a better job then any of the above options if not he would still be better then Bush.

crazymonkey4216391th8.jpg

Say Hello to option 3 a crazy jailed monkey.

Palin = Stupid, no discussion

Bush = might act stupid, but somehow he graduated from yale (even if he was just average); maybe the cocaine&booze messed with his brain? love or hate his politics, I think he was one of the funniest presidents. but a puppet IMO

McCain = definitely not a stupid man, but also not really a genuis

Obama = definitely one of the smartest guys in politics; graduated from Harvard (so did his wife), WITHOUT his daddy/momy being influencial. At least with him we know he achieved this himself!

Biden = dont know much about him, but from what I have seen, he seems like a very smart guy. plus he's the kind of guy I like, when someone asks him stupid stuff, he calls them out on it. though apparently americans dont like it when you make fun of someone because he's being a retard (caution, i said "being a retard" not "is a retard"!)

So, concluding this, based on education and their apparent intelligence, the Obama/Biden ticket IS the smartest way to go with

Edited by slay

Palin = Stupid, no discussion

Bush = might act stupid, but somehow he graduated from yale (even if he was just average); maybe the cocaine&booze messed with his brain? love or hate his politics, I think he was one of the funniest presidents. but a puppet IMO

McCain = definitely not a stupid man, but also not really a genuis

Obama = definitely one of the smartest guys in politics; graduated from Harvard (so did his wife), WITHOUT his daddy/momy being influencial. At least with him we know he achieved this himself!

Biden = dont know much about him, but from what I have seen, he seems like a very smart guy. plus he's the kind of guy I like, when someone asks him stupid stuff, he calls them out on it. though apparently americans dont like it when you make fun of someone because he's being a retard (caution, i said "being a retard" not "is a retard"!)

So, concluding this, based on education and their apparent intelligence, the Obama/Biden ticket IS the smartest way to go with

YES, YES, YES, YES, AND YES.

I will be doing the most patriotic thing I can think of tomorrow.

I will be writing in Dr. Ron Paul. He is the only person who will look you in the eye and tell you how utterly F'd this country is if we dont make VERY painful CHANGE soon. Notice how neither of the big guys up for election tomorrow will even touch the issue of national debt.

Begin rant: The US only has about 15-25 more years before it is effectively bankrupt. In the near future all of the taxes you pay to the govt. will go to paying interest on debt. If you think a credit crisis concentrated on retail banks and investment banks has been bad, how do you think we (and the world for that matter) will fare when the real BIG one hits The US Treasury, IRS, Federal Reserve, etc? By the way, there will be at least one major, possibly more financial crises before this ultimate biggy hits.

(stepping down from soapbox)

Please get out and vote.

The US only has about 15-25 more years before it is effectively bankrupt.

A lot of people were making this same claim 15-20 years ago.

And 15-20 years before THAT.

Go browse old editorial columns on microfiche at your local library. I am not kidding you.

My avatar (Pat Paulsen) would due a better job from the grave...;)

He had a great campaign slogan:

"We've upped our standards, now up yours!"

Paulsen had other great lines:

"If elected, I will win."

"We have nothing to fear but fear itself...and of course the boogieman."

"I am neither left wing nor right wing. I am middle-of-the-bird."

"If either the right wing or the left wing gained control of the country, it would probably fly around in circles."

"Marijuana should be licensed and kept out of the hands of teenagers. It's too good for them."

When asked if he believed in the Right to bear arms: "No, I believe in the right to arm bears."

And my favorite, when asked whether he ever tried marijuana, Paulsen responded in a Clinton-esque manner that he tried it, "but didn't exhale."

But seriously, I am extremely relieved that tomorrow is election day. Whoever wins, we are one day closer to kissing Bush & Co. good bye.

I will be doing the most patriotic thing I can think of tomorrow.

I will be writing in Dr. Ron Paul. He is the only person who will look you in the eye and tell you how utterly F'd this country is if we dont make VERY painful CHANGE soon. Notice how neither of the big guys up for election tomorrow will even touch the issue of national debt.

Begin rant: The US only has about 15-25 more years before it is effectively bankrupt. In the near future all of the taxes you pay to the govt. will go to paying interest on debt. If you think a credit crisis concentrated on retail banks and investment banks has been bad, how do you think we (and the world for that matter) will fare when the real BIG one hits The US Treasury, IRS, Federal Reserve, etc? By the way, there will be at least one major, possibly more financial crises before this ultimate biggy hits.

(stepping down from soapbox)

Please get out and vote.

I wonder how you are going to write anything into those electronic voting machines which the republicans like to use to manipulate elections.

Plus, Ron Paul might be right in what he's saying (and his adviser, peter schiff pretty much predicted the crisis of today a few years ago -> google him, look at youtube videos;), BUT if you ask me, its impossible to repay the debt the united states currently has without ruining its economy/population.

I think it will all come down to a total failure of the US monetary system and the creditors will NOT get their money back, or at least not in the coming 100 years. This would be the best thing to happen to all americans. All the debt would be wiped out, they could start from scratch.

There is NO WAY america can pay back 35.000$ per american without ruiining itself. Or it takes them 500 years.

How is Ron Paul going to pay the debt, if he (or those who influence his capmain) are known tax protesters? He wants to lower taxes to almost nothing (or completely eliminate them), so how is america going to pay for the basic neads of the people such as healthcare, education and so on?

Should we make everyone responsible for himself? You know where this would lead us? The streets would be FULL with sick, uneducated, criminal kids who have no perspective and who CAN NOT compete on the world labor market. Soon america would become even dumber as it already is and even the "rich" elite would decease over time. Soon the whole economy would colapse, because there is no competitive workforce that is able to produce value

Your tax dollars pay for a country to be more or less CLEAN from SCUM. Just look at the countries where the taxes do not raise enough money to pay for the stuff that Ron Paul and his fellows want to privatize (meaning everyone has to pay for it himself) -> these countries are SH1THOLES.

Or do you want america to become like uganda??

----> Ron Paul words have turth in them, but the measures he wants to adopt would ruin america

I may add, after '45 germany's debt was also "erased" and look where we are today (and have been for the past decade) -> world's exporteur Nr. 1, even though we have 1/4 of the US population and 1/12 of the chinese; we are one of the most influencial countries in the world, al the WW2 winners are far behind usin terms of technology and accumulated knowledge (even though much of our knowledge was stolen after WW2) (who's making the best cars in the world? who's making the best tanks in the world? who's making the best guns in the world that even the americans are buying for their army?).

So just because a monetary system is failing, that does not mean you will lose your status as a superpower.

Germany is the living example of a country that got toally fcuked and rose back up to being a superpower in no-time

Edited by slay

A lot of people were making this same claim 15-20 years ago.

And 15-20 years before THAT.

Go browse old editorial columns on microfiche at your local library. I am not kidding you.

US Balance sheet---

Assets: $1.7 Trillion (and going down)

Debts: Current outstanding Treasury obligations: 10.8 Trillion (this is the figure talked about on the news)

Medicare obligations through about 2040 if everything stays constant in today's dollars: $87 Trillion*

Social Security obligations through about 2040 if everything stays constant in today's dollars: $13 Trillion*

*Source: Dallas Fed

We havent really even begun to bring these off balance sheet vehicles (Medicare and SS Trusts) on to the real balance sheet yet. Interestingly, the first baby boomer retirement benefits just started going out this year, so these Medicare and SS debts will ramp up quite quickly over the next two decades.

The reason you started to hear warnings about national debt 30-40 yrs ago is because thats when the US stopped backing its currency with hard assets (1971). Our Fathers warned us of having a 'paper' money system, especially Thomas Jefferson. Hold a USD in your hand and ask yourself what you are really holding. You are holding a trusted certificate from the United States to tax its citizens, pay the interest on its debt and ULTIMATELY PAY THE PRINCIPAL BACK ON THAT DEBT. This implied guarnatee gives stability to that note to maintain its value. When global central bankers start to realize that our taxation equation (population base, their earnings potential (taxes), our sizeable debt and perpetual compounding interest payments) even offers the slightest DOUBT on the possibility of US repayment of principal...trust will begin to evaporate. If you think this is a joke, be aware that central bankers have already begun expressing this concern to our president and other high level officials at the Treasury and Fed.

JohnG...The United States has bought itself out of every major issue and promised its citizens and others' A LOT. We print money, issue more and more debt and line up like crack addicts when the Fed cuts interest rates (manipulates money supply) As you can see above. I ask you: Do you think that balance sheet above is healthy? Would you invest in a company with those financials? And most importantly, would you leave a house of affairs like that to your child or grandchild? I would not. So I will continue to fight for higher standards, not just put it off another 15-20 yrs.

Here is how Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com has things pegged with his meta-analysis of polling data:

1103b_mainchart.png

It's a lock for Obama. Even abject racists don't want the US to fall any further down the crapper.

Virginia should be called at about 19:00EST, and Indiana soon after. If either one goes for McCain, it will be mathematically impossible for Obama to lose.

This is my favorite Pat Paulsen quote:

'All the problems we face in the United States today can be traced to an unenlightened immigration policy on the part of the American Indian."......;)

Slay,

I agree with a lot of what you're saying, but I am tired of this polarized way of looking at the US and its issues. Its either do nothing (fat and happy solution) or disasterize the situation to the point where we are paralyzed into doing nothing.

Sadly, I agree with your possible default and BTW there would be a subsequent currency devaluation situation. It may be a rip the band aid solution. It scares my wife, but there is money off shore and a second family citizenship purchased. This is just a sunny beach back up plan for us, but I am not going to suffer through the experiment if it kicks into gear.

Here is how Nate Silver at fivethirtyeight.com has things pegged with his meta-analysis of polling data:

1103b_mainchart.png

It's a lock for Obama. Even abject racists don't want the US to fall any further down the crapper.

Virginia should be called at about 19:00EST, and Indiana soon after. If either one goes for McCain, it will be mathematically impossible for Obama to lose.

Excuse me, that last line should read "If either one goes against McCain, it will be mathematically impossible for Obama to lose.