When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

An Ebay tactic.

offshore

Over the weekend, I was following a couple of listings, which I had saved.

One in particular, for a large lot of "broken" watches, had listed @$30, and not attracted any bids, with only a couple of days to go.

Now there was some stuff I needed in there, and I'm sure a few of the collectors who bid regularly, were watching it, to snipe it at the end.

I had settled on a snipe of $120 for the lot, and on Saturday afternoon, decided to send the seller a PM.

" As you have not yet had any bids, you can still make this auction a BIN (Buy it now)

If you are interested, I will pay twice your opening offer, ($60), a a BIN.

I can collect for cash tomorrow. ( The seller was local)"

About 20 minutes later I received a PM, "Have just made it a BIN"

(Please note, -Only auctions with NO bids can alter their status)

So I jumped on, and bought it.... arranged collection, and picked up on Sunday afternoon.

The auction would have finished about now....... I bet there are a few collectors wondering where the auction went, and I am sitting here marvelling at my luck.

In the lot, (which I hadn't even spotted, or identified, was a solid gold IWC, F300hz watch.

Whatsemore, a new battery had it humming away, just like new.

It needs a new crown, (will try to find a "signed" replacement) and a new bracelet, (Don't like my chances of finding a gold IWC to match), so I will probably put on a leather strap, with the IWC gold buckle, I already have!

My guess is that this watch would bring at least $500 , and maybe $1k, but it is not for sale!

Actually will take a pride of place in the collection, and get some wrist time on special occasions.

So if you are watching an auction, and it hasn't yet attracted bids, consider making an offer, to try to bring the auction to an early close, and cut out the snipers!

Works for me, and I have now managed this on 2 or 3 auctions. ( Interestingly, in each case the seller has been local- maybe they like the thought of cash in hand!)

FYI.

Offshore

man, you know you just can't come braggin' with such a finding without attaching some pics, that's being naughty... pure evil, now you've got lots of people in awe... so please us with those shots! oh, and the violence in my post is purely envy... sane, but envy at last... :bleh:

...and congratulations! looks like Xmas came a bit early this year!