When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the old school members only

RobbieG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

remember that when you do "good deeds", there isn't always a "reward". We all face the same predicament in life. Keep up the good work, Robbie. :)

Yup...and what Lani's signature says...the Noob really is the next generation. I initially came to this forum looking for just a single watch...and found so much more. So, who knows which newcomer we treat well may well in fact become the new Lani, or Pug, or Nanuq or Freddy333 or whatever.

Trust me, there is no one more familiar with the ins and outs of that certainty my friend.

By definition in my work I execute perfectly with remarkable consistency for years on end and yet I am only rewarded for that perfection only 40-48% of the time. In all my journeys I have learned one thing which is that the surest path to perfection isn't doing anything 100%. And that is quite a paradox since 100% is precisely what most are striving for and never find. The best edges and rewards are hidden truths found in randomness and differences. Hence life and why it is only remotely interesting because we are all different and only behave like another would expect us to less than half the time.

I have a friend who is engaged to a amazing woman in and out, and they are on the outs because she doesn't say and do what he thinks she should often enough. I'll never understand that. I mean, break up with her because she is ugly or has BO or is ignorant, mean or rude, but not because she isn't a "good communicator" or "grown up enough" or whatever. Translation: she doesn't talk or act like he does and until she does he can't be happy. I'll never understand that. I say all this because I want to make it clear that I don't want to change new members or what they are interested in or how they communicate.

Again, the post wasn't about looking for rewards, it was about remarking on the environment shifting to more task oriented members from more community focused members over the years. Both are fine by me and as I said in the OP it won't influence my behavior in helping new members. Just wanted to ask if others were seeing the shift and it looks pretty split. Thanks for all of your responses.

remember that when you do "good deeds", there isn't always a "reward". We all face the same predicament in life. Keep up the good work, Robbie. :)

I think the complexion of RWG has changed over the past year or so.

It may be that there is not such reason to stick around and take part as much as before. When I started (for a short time) on RWG1 you had to dig around and find out about dealers, how to contact them and where to look for images of their wares. PMing board members was part of the growing process.

Now it is possible just to flap your Visa at a web shop and sit back and wait.

This is bound to change the way (newer) people regard this place, and this hobby, as the investment in time building relationships just ain't required. :(

Maybe I've gone a bit off topic here, but that's my 2 Penneth.

I suffered from the hit-and-runs a lot. Impolite and demanding, most of the time. It got so bad at one point that I had to add a disclaimer to my signature. People were asking me stuff about watches I've never even posted about, or asking me which dealer that has blacklisted me would be best for them.

Still, if I get a PM from someone whose name I've seen in a post or with a VIP tag, they'll get a proper reply. If they're a no-post-noddy with the stock signature, they now get Toady's Noobie guide instead of a reply as it usually answers everything they were asking and going to ask.

Seriously, why would anyone ever ask me if Davidsen's PAM012345 was better than Trusty's? I've never professed to be a Panerai expert, I've never bought from Davidsen and Trusty dislikes me. Post-count and rep can be a burden.

No, not off topic at all. That is good insight. I never thought about how streamlined it is now. Kind of like everything else in society that has gotten more so even in the last few years. Everything leans toward instant gratification...

I think the complexion of RWG has changed over the past year or so.

It may be that there is not such reason to stick around and take part as much as before. When I started (for a short time) on RWG1 you had to dig around and find out about dealers, how to contact them and where to look for images of their wares. PMing board members was part of the growing process.

Now it is possible just to flap your Visa at a web shop and sit back and wait.

This is bound to change the way (newer) people regard this place, and this hobby, as the investment in time building relationships just ain't required. :(

Maybe I've gone a bit off topic here, but that's my 2 Penneth.

OK party people... me think its time!

I usually dont speak out but NOW is the time for me to step out

and confess:

It was me... yup lol ;)!!

Going through proxies, building up different user profiles...

Just to ask Puggie for the Davidsen fiddy... who has the best sub in

BK MBK too lol and the PMs to Kenberg and da senior members :)

Rite now im accomplishing a therapy with my psychiatrist :crazy:

on my multiple personality dissociation!!

I hope you all will and can forgive me :o but it waz

soooo much FUN :D lolz

Weird George

P.S. Life was good! :o

I am reminded of a couple of quotes attributed (correctly or not) to Socrates:

"The children now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for

authority, they show disrespect to their elders.... They no longer

rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents,

chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their

legs, and are tyrants over their teachers."

and

"The young people of today think of nothing but themselves. They have

no reverence for parents or old age. They are impatient of all

restraint. They talk as if they alone knew everything and what passes

for wisdom with us is foolishness with them. As for girls, they are

forward, immodest and unwomanly in speech, behaviour and dress."

That said, can someone please hurry up and tell me what the best Submariner rep is??? :p

OK party people... me think its time!

I usually dont speak out but NOW is the time for me to step out

and confess:

It was me... yup lol ;)!!

Going through proxies, building up different user profiles...

Just to ask Puggie for the Davidsen fiddy... who has the best sub in

BK MBK too lol and the PMs to Kenberg and da senior members :)

Rite now im accomplishing a therapy with my psychiatrist :crazy:

on my multiple personality dissociation!!

I hope you all will and can forgive me :o but it waz

soooo much FUN :D lolz

Weird George

P.S. Life was good! :o

Johng?

This is an awesome hobby. I appreciate all the info and friendships Ive made already. One example is a fellow musician, Phoband...great guy, great drummer...very helpful. Toad has been very nice to noobs also. Southwest sent me my first Rep in two days...mint condition. Chris at Eurotimez has answered my emails numerous times. After one month, Ive met two other local 'noob's from St. Louis, as we all awaited our first rep purchases to arrive.

Sometimes I wonder if I am 'old school' for returning PM's and being grateful.

Please ignore the few that are rude...there are many more that are appreciative.

Oh yeah, I think we all do and of course there are always newer members like you who remind us of the old days. Just from reading this post one can tell you are already one of the crew and you really "get" how cool this place is and how many interesting people you meet who will go out of their way to help you. Communities like this don't grow on trees - watches aside. Always a pleasure to add new members who appreciate it as much as many of us already do.

This is an awesome hobby. I appreciate all the info and friendships Ive made already. One example is a fellow musician, Phoband...great guy, great drummer...very helpful. Toad has been very nice to noobs also. Southwest sent me my first Rep in two days...mint condition. Chris at Eurotimez has answered my emails numerous times. After one month, Ive met two other local 'noob's from St. Louis, as we all awaited our first rep purchases to arrive.

Sometimes I wonder if I am 'old school' for returning PM's and being grateful.

Please ignore the few that are rude...there are many more that are appreciative.

It happens to every message board. You get big, posts start showing up on the first page of google and things get more impersonal. Ask yourself this: How many times have you seen a forum post on google, then logged on to a message board knowing you're never coming back. Maybe you want to know what driver to download to get your kid's computer up and running, or what graphic EQ to buy for the home theater. You see some guy's post on graphic EQs, think he might be able to answer your question, so you PM him to ask. You see this guy's got 3, 853 posts on the home theater forum because he loves home theaters thinks about them all day at work the way we do about watches. You can give a rat's ass about home audio equipment, really. You just want to know if the Sony BQ-4356 is decent so we can go to store, buy it, and go rent Blade Runner the Director's Cut. This guy has tested every EQ device ever made, knows the subtle diferences between every model. And now some rude lazy [censored] is going to take up his time w/ a one sentence PM instead of sifting through his 107 gloriously through posts on that very subject. But you ask anyway. Sometimes you get a response sometimes you don't.

I try to think of this when get a PM: "Bro, where did u get ur gold FM" But after I think about how this guy is the watch equivalent of me looking for an EQ, I usually respond, "From eddie."

Not sure if i am consider old school, but yeah i am old already..... i miss you guys,., feel like i just step in to a whole new building and a lot have change.

Sorry if i post on the wrong topic.. Anyway Christmas is coming and wishing the old friends a warm Christmas with family and the New Year.

Another bonus, the SD i purchase from Eddie still ticking after all the bashing.

rgds.,

Mike

When I first came here CarlsbadRolex went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out so I feel that if anyone here wants my help I'll do my best to treat people the way I was treated. The thank you part is not that important to me.

Hey Rob, did you remember to thank that cop who nabbed you a few weeks ago :bicycle:

It happens to every message board. You get big, posts start showing up on the first page of google and things get more impersonal. Ask yourself this: How many times have you seen a forum post on google, then logged on to a message board knowing you're never coming back. Maybe you want to know what driver to download to get your kid's computer up and running, or what graphic EQ to buy for the home theater. You see some guy's post on graphic EQs, think he might be able to answer your question, so you PM him to ask. You see this guy's got 3, 853 posts on the home theater forum because he loves home theaters thinks about them all day at work the way we do about watches. You can give a rat's ass about home audio equipment, really. You just want to know if the Sony BQ-4356 is decent so we can go to store, buy it, and go rent Blade Runner the Director's Cut. This guy has tested every EQ device ever made, knows the subtle diferences between every model. And now some rude lazy [censored] is going to take up his time w/ a one sentence PM instead of sifting through his 107 gloriously through posts on that very subject. But you ask anyway. Sometimes you get a response sometimes you don't.

I try to think of this when get a PM: "Bro, where did u get ur gold FM" But after I think about how this guy is the watch equivalent of me looking for an EQ, I usually respond, "From eddie."

Succinctly put. I agree 100%

When I first came here CarlsbadRolex went above and beyond the call of duty to help me out so I feel that if anyone here wants my help I'll do my best to treat people the way I was treated. The thank you part is not that important to me.

Terry is a great guy with a huge heart, much like lani, lr, freddy, The Zigmeister, the admin team, hell a ton of people on here, can't even name them all!

I suppose this would be the appropriate time to thank the people on this site for the help I have received in buying reps. While I haven't PMed anybody I have made threads and posted in others, and the responses I get always steer me in the right direction. Honestly, I have been apart of many message boards and as a Newb, this was is by far the best. It could be the age of the users or it could be that the people here are just extremely nice, I really don't know. All I do know is that I have a bad eye for watches and I am on a college students budget, so the help I have received here has been wonderful. I thank all of you who have helped.

P.S. Robby's post about young girls being like horses made my day.