When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
  • Current Donation Goals

For the old school members only

RobbieG

Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but I have something I would like to bring up. When I first came here, which was in the alpha year there was a sense of courtesy amongst us that I feel may be waning now. It used to be that we would freely PM each other and ask detailed questions and sort of enjoyed not just sharing our knowledge but also getting to know each other. Guys like By-tor and Cornerstone and Lani and Pugwash and V and TT and Laz come to mind. Anyway, back then if a new member thought I knew something about a brand or whatever and got steered to me they might ask some detailed questions and I would give a detailed answer and it would always seem to be appreciated on both sides. If I ever asked questions - which I did a LOT, I was always very gracious and aware of making sure I showed it and the member I asked knew that I cared that they bothered to take the time to teach me something. In other words, I always took the time to send a return PM after I "got what I was looking for" thanking whoever it was for the effort and more importantly, started to enjoy interacting with them and kindof making friends in as much that is possible in a place like this.

That said, lately I guess maybe I have become one of those guys that for whatever reason Noobs have identified as someone that may have earned some knowledge in certain areas and like to PM and ask questions about present and past watches, my opinions about dealers/movements whatever. Believe me, I am both honored and grateful that anyone would respect me enough to value my opinion. Here and in life I take that sort of thing very seriously and do my best to provide qualified and unbiased answers and if I can't, I'll refer them to someone who I think can. But lately, I feel like most of the PM's or emails I get seem to be from guys who don't really want to carry out that tradition of taking AND giving as it used to be. They will ask questions (usually with 4 or more parts - lol) and I will provide a detailed answer, many times searching posts for pics and links and even uploading pics to my Bucket so I can give them a visual example. But after sending it, not only do I not get a return PM thanking me for taking the time to do it, but I get no response at all and never hear from them again. I guess I really take giving back seriously and enjoy helping others as I was helped once upon a time and it saddens me that the sense of brotherhood and respect isn't quite what we all used to be like back in the day. Oh well, there are exceptions but I just wanted to see what the rest of the old timers thought about it. Some of you must be experiencing the same thing, given a lot of the qualifying info I see in your signatures designed to filter PM's out that I never used to see before.

For the record, it won't ever change me or how I handle it. I'll still give every new member more than the benefit of the doubt and give my all on every PM or email I get and try to help them. But I just felt the need to mention it to the rest of the older members mostly to vent but also to see if any of you ever have the same experience.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I'm nowhere near the level of members like yourself Robbie, I can sympathize on what you're feeling. I've noticed that lately there many "hit-n-run" type of members joining our forums. This is probably attributable to the fact that there has been a flood of so-called Super-reps in the rep market in the past few years. I guess you can sort of view it in two ways. On the one side, it's good that the rep world in general has been growing more and more popular for the masses and on the other is that it will inevitably draw those who will pop in for a rep here and there and never really take this on as a hobby like many of us have.

So like everything else in life you have to take a bit of bad with the good. Personally, I always attempt to maintain some form of decorum with every member I interact with. You never know who might become a life long friend. Plus you wouldn't want others to judge you based on what little info we're privy to from the forum. As a buddy of mine used to say, "you never know if that noob you're talking to might be a Supreme Court judge". LOL

I see what you're saying... first PM I ever sent was to azerbyjam looking for PT's site :)

I've had a number of questions sent to me and I try to answer them as best I can but I'll redirect if I don't know the answer...

I've probably received two thank you PM's across 50-100 advice / question PM's... I always ask people to thank me by upgrading but I rarely see that either...

It's sad...but you learn which members are worth going the extra mile for and which members will come here, ask a million questions about subs or IWC's etc and then never be seen again.... it's the one's that thank you and pay it forward that really make RWG what it is.

This is exactly how I feel too. The one that really appreciates and becomes a freind makes itg all worth it for sure and keeps me coming back. I guess I'm just observing that things have changed quite a bit since we started. It isn't up to me to decide if it is better or worse, but it is definitely different for sure.

And this response is why I wrote the thread - to hopefully hear the positive side of a negative topic. Now that is what makes this place really special...

I see what you're saying... first PM I ever sent was to azerbyjam looking for PT's site :)

I've had a number of questions sent to me and I try to answer them as best I can but I'll redirect if I don't know the answer...

I've probably received two thank you PM's across 50-100 advice / question PM's... I always ask people to thank me by upgrading but I rarely see that either...

It's sad...but you learn which members are worth going the extra mile for and which members will come here, ask a million questions about subs or IWC's etc and then never be seen again.... it's the one's that thank you and pay it forward that really make RWG what it is.

In my last couple years at RWG1 and RG since its been up,i have removed thousands (literally) of pm's from my inbox,and can say that all of them i can recall have always been polite to me and have always replied to any responce i have given with a 'thank you dave' or the likes...and the 'sorry to bother you dave' type thing when they first send,to which i reply thats its no problem at all....

Not here as i'm not active as much,do more reading here,but i can't see the folks here being any less polite,i have gotten some pm's here and have always gotten a thanks.... :)

That is good to know Dave - that someone is batting a thousand on three forums. And for sure I get some polite people here, but the ratio is s bit smaller than it used to be.

In my last couple years at RWG1 and RG since its been up,i have removed thousands (literally) of pm's from my inbox,and can say that all of them i can recall have always been polite to me and have always replied to any responce i have given with a 'thank you dave' or the likes...and the 'sorry to bother you dave' type thing when they first send,to which i reply thats its no problem at all....

Not here as i'm not active as much,do more reading here,but i can't see the folks here being any less polite,i have gotten some pm's here and have always gotten a thanks.... :)

Well, I really can't say I share the observation nor the concern... I always take a "thanks" to be implied, and frankly a "thanks" response to every response would be far too much PM traffic anyhow. ;)

Edit: And now that I think about it some more, I'd say 95%+ of the PMs I receive include a "thanks in advance" or a "thanks for you help" in the original inquiry.

I probably didn't get the core of the message right actually. It isn't a thanks so much as I agree it is usually implied if not said outright. I guess I am refering to the fact that less Noobs want to make friends and be a true part of the brotherhood. There used to be many more new members becoming long time members then there are now. I just see people coming more for the purpose of getting info, buying what they need and leaving with less interest in interacting beyond the initial purpose. That is what I see changing and I didn't mean to draw as much attention to the way they handle any individual PM or what kind of manners they have...

Actually, I find people are generally courteous. So Robbie- one might ask one's self why one is attracting ungrateful wretches. :lol:

But seriously, I actually think it has gotten better on my end. I do have to agree that I find myself engaging in less multiple back and forth's though. May be I am just getting crabby in my old age. :)

You do get some that are just here to find their watch and then go, these people will try anything to make the end result a bit quicker.

Our Admin banned a member last week who spammed over 50 senior members with the same list of questions, then he slipped in with another IP and started sending the same questions out again.

One wonders how far along he might have been had he used his time more constructively on researching our board?

Ken

I always try to be respectful and helpful when helping people, even noobs. I was a noob once and without the help of some nice guys I would have never found the beautiful watches I have today. I think a lot of people ask questions "frankly" because they are simply tired of sifting through the replica scams and garbage all over the net... hoping that maybe their journeys have ended here. I guess it's our job to remind them that at RWG, the journey only begins...

i think an interesting question i'd be curious to hear other experiences about is the nature of the questions i get from people -- while some people have clearly done their research and have specific questions, the more frustrating thing to me is when people send PMs asking questions that have been answered 100s of times by the forum.

i do my best to respond to everyone; i'd say most of the time people are appreciative. in most cases, people are pretty thankful in their initial email ("thanks in advance" or something similar as others have mentioned above); in terms of getting a "thank you" afterwards, it's a totally mixed bag. sometimes i get a thank you, sometimes i don't.

just my $0.02 of course :victory:

deltatahoe

Sounds like now more are seeing that of which I speak. I can't imagine having to ever ban someone for spamming rep questions in the old days. And like I said, no sweat for me. I'll still enjoy helping anyone I can just the same, but I think we seem to be all seeing that the quick, curt, and singularly purposed seem to be more plentiful than they used to be and we have less new members hanging in for the long haul and becoming part of the brotherhood so to speak. Actually, I hope all the new members that joined this year all end up being familiar faces or at least a big percentage of them. New blood is the lifeforce of everything worthwhile. Maybe the new blood will become the new old school and the forum will take on a new set of norms and all the old timers will move on as things change? Who knows. In the meantime, I'm happy the way things are, but they are not the same is all I'm saying - for good or bad - just a little different.

I'm an old timer. Don't know if I'm old school.

I don't make a lot of posts, and only post a few pics.

I get a few PM's.

I always answer fully and courteously and I usually get a "thank you".

Carl

I get a lot of questions too and experienced the same thing as you. Many times they are asking the same questions to multiple people. And even after they get the same answers from everyone they still post a topic about it on the forum. Sometimes they are spamming a scam website and want to have a PM record from one of the forum experts stating they think that website is ok. Other times they have already made up their mind about a particular watch or dealer and just want validation. If you don't give it then they move on to the next member. And then there are the drive bys. They get their advice, buy their watch and never come back to the forum.

I've had a few hit and runners...but I've also had some really positive responses to the info I've provided. Really positive...and those few really do make up for anything wanting in other less courteous members. At least a couple have upgraded to Supporter based on how surprised they were about both the quality of the board, and the personalities that make the forum a real place of community...and for that, I'm actually quite proud.

In return...the questions I've asked have ALL been answered, speedily and so many have really gone beyond the call of duty in many cases, mailing stuff out to me to help with my screw ups or upcoming projects that the only thing I can do beyond say thank you, is hope that I can uphold the sense of class I've been shown.

I do think there's a generation thing going too. My wife is a professor at a fairly important university and she's seen some real decline in formal communication skills with the current "text message" based population. Emails are truncated, smiley loaded and lack any form of respect. Students address her as "Hey Prof", etc...crazy stuff I would never dream of doing in what I consider a fairly formal, and respectful relationship. Interview skills are very lacking in a lot of the younger generation I see...making the ones who do exhibit sense and decorum really stand out.

I roll my eyes...and hope that I can try and emulate the same respect I hope to receive...even with the "short" and terse PMs I sometimes get.

I get a lot of PMs too, usually about ( name deleted ) and his shenanigans. No, seriously... this place is all about spreading ACCURATE information about watches. We learn and we share. And the more we share it, the more people there are to chime in and answer questions. It's the old saying "a rising tide floats all boats".

I say thanks to all the great members here that MAKE this place great!! :tu:

Maybe they like my looks, but I've gotten my share of PM's and have always gotten thank you's. But then again, maybe I'm lucky.

I do notice that the postings are filled with one shot buyers more than in the past. The tenor of the forums is different, probably because they have become accessible to a larger audience.

I still thoroughly enjoy the interplay between members and really appreciate those that take the time to help Noobs with their questions. Compared to the Gen forums this place is heaven.

;)

I get a lot of PMs too, usually about ( name deleted ) and his shenanigans. No, seriously... this place is all about spreading ACCURATE information about watches. We learn and we share. And the more we share it, the more people there are to chime in and answer questions. It's the old saying "a rising tide floats all boats".

I say thanks to all the great members here that MAKE this place great!! :tu:

usually new members with only 1 post that pm me.. get a reply but if they ask for a full synopsis on everything under the sun I guide them to the intro section and the reviews ..

a member who recently pm'd me .. and was very courteous .. renewed my enthusiasm with the newcomer.. he is a yound kid who is on a limited budget but was sincere and kinda lost.. so I did what any other of you guy's would do.. I "supported the community"..

others who are obvious spammers.. I ignore... not to be obtuse.. but I really don't have all day to spend on these issues..

my rule is .. simple.. (the golden rule) .. treat others as you would want to be treated.. simple..

I also think that the internet and today's quick info that the net brings breeds short fast,.. I want it now attitude.. we have created the "Monster" that is now part of our society.. fast food... ATM's ... you don't even have to leave your DT to get what you used to have to spend hours of travel and time procuring..

aloha~cheers

R